Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Before you ask, LBS = Location Based Services.

According to an eWeek article (cited below), it appears that the Sprint and Microsoft has teamed up to release LBS on the Treo 650. Hopefully this is a sign that the A-GPS chip in the Treo 650 is going to get more use than just during emergencies. The only downside is that it seems like there's a per location charge. Why can't they just be like Nextel and make it free?

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594
    Speaking of Nextel LBS ..... my friend has a Nextel phone with a GPS program in it. He got it for the "free" GPS service. I had needed the lat/long of my house for a sat dish aiming so he stopped by with his phone and gave me the information. After I plotted it on a map we found it was ~11 MILES off! We double and triple checked it and redid the readings from another location. He called Nextel to ask them why and they told him that in order to get "accurate" (their words) GPS results he'd have to pay a monthly extra fee!

Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Before you ask, LBS = Location Based Services.

According to an eWeek article (cited below), it appears that the Sprint and Microsoft has teamed up to release LBS on the Treo 650. Hopefully this is a sign that the A-GPS chip in the Treo 650 is going to get more use than just during emergencies. The only downside is that it seems like there's a per location charge. Why can't they just be like Nextel and make it free?

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594
  3.    #3  
    That's a pretty poor Nextel rep or he has a really odd phone. I indirectly work with Nextel phones (specifically for their GPS) and they generally get it within 5m to 100m (Source http://www.telenav.net/telenavnextel...act=gofaqshd#3).

I've never heard of a monthly fee for GPS. They may have suggested a program like TeleNav that gives you voice directions. I think they add a fee because that's value-added GPS (i.e. you get those directions, not just a lat/lng). That doesn't impact the quality of the GPS fix though.
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 06/07/2005 at 08:04 AM.
    Any applications actually taking advantage of this yet? I'd love to get GPS coordinates on the T650!

Dennis.
    Treo has a GPS chip in it? GSM version?

I did not know that ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    It doesn't have a chip, but could use Location Based Services to get a close approx...
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Yeah, it uses the cell towers to "guess" your location. It's no where near GPS, but it's pretty close. I think they say it's within a few blocks of your actual location.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    Yeah, it uses the cell towers to "guess" your location. It's no where near GPS, but it's pretty close. I think they say it's within a few blocks of your actual location.

Joe
    Have you seen any apps?
    Don't you just know they will start sending you location based marketing via SMS? I can feel it coming. Hopefully they will have some way to shut it off
    (the marketing not the LBS)

Joe
    Actually, the A-GPS in Sprint phones uses both GPS and the towers to determine the location of the phone. See:

http://wirelessreview.com/news/wireless_cdma_phase_ii/

"A-GPS is a hybrid location technology that uses GPS satellites and the carrier’s network to determine the position of a handset."

Also of interest:

"A-GPS from Qualcomm (www.qualcomm.com) and SnapTrack (www.snaptrack.com), branded gpsOne, can achieve 10m accuracy in a typical outdoor-highway environment, according to Arnold Gum, Qualcomm senior product manager."
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    Don't you just know they will start sending you location based marketing via SMS? I can feel it coming. Hopefully they will have some way to shut it off
    (the marketing not the LBS)
    Even without LBS, the carriers (including GSM) already know your position well enough based on the tower you're on to send location based marketing. Why have they not done it yet?
  12.    #12  
    It's no where near GPS, but it's pretty close.
    Sometimes, you are always right. ;-)
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by djenders
    Have you seen any apps?
    Yes, that's the point. See the original link.

Of course it's not available for individual users and your company would have to pay quite a bit for access... "For example, 5,000 location transactions per year would cost about $100 per month."

So the point is that it's possible, although it doesn't seem to be practical.
    Well the way I looked at it was the API was finally available to all - which would make me think any developer could use it - much like Nextel.
  15.    #15  
    That would be nice, and I hope they get there, but it doesn't seem it is. From the article if they are charging for it, it's not just an available API like Nextel. They'd need to build that kind of thing into their rate plans.
    just wonder if the LBS APIs are available on GSM version.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by chriztang
    just wonder if the LBS APIs are available on GSM version.
    I don't know if it would work the same on all the GSM versions. I don't think there's one GPS-type chipset (I'm lumping in A-GPS, etc.) for all GSM phones. Thus it would probably depend on the carrier and if you have an unlocked GSM phone you may be out of luck. All this stuff is really new though.
    Actually the APIs are available for download...
    If anyone is curious, there is some info on the Sprint PCS developer site that points to an IBM SDK which supposedly includes LBS service.

Software Development Kit for Sprint Business Mobility FrameworkSM
    Helps you mobile-enable WebSphere® applications

A free Software Development Kit from Sprint can take the long lead times and complexity out of adding telecom extensions to existing code base and applications. If you use IBM's WebSphere® Studio Application Developer, you're ready to take advantage of these mobile enablement tools.
    Simple to use

The Software Development Kit ships with code snippets and a Parlay X simulator ? everything the programmer needs to add and test mobility extensions to an existing code base. Once you have installed the tools in the WebSphere Studio Application Developer, it is simply a matter of calling up the Sprint applications from the WebSphere toolbar.

No special telecom expertise and no additional training are required to mobile-enable WebSphere applications. Applications written with these Sprint development tools will run on most standard Parlay X-enabled wireless networks and work across a wide range of mobile phones.
    Integrates advanced wireless services

The initial release of the Software Development Kit makes it possible to enrich WebSphere applications with powerful new mobile capabilities, such as:

* Location - provides cell sector, latitude/longitude and location of mobile devices with multiple levels of precision
    * Presence - gives the status of end-user devices in real time: online or offline
    * Notification - provides intelligent alerts through Sprint devices from within the enterprise application based on business process or event triggers

As wireless technology advances, new capabilities will automatically be added to the tool kit.

SDK Demo

Download Now

Download the free Sprint Business Mobility Framework SDK. For additional assistance please go to the Sprint Business Mobility Framework forum.
    The download link points here:

https://www14.software.ibm.com/webap...S&source=twst2
    This LBS that Sprint is offering isn't Treo specific.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast