Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is the deal here? It's not a one time license fee? Is this yearly fee just for support, or does the app/service stop working? Seems outrageous if I must pay each year.
    No, it's perfectly reasonable; they both have to run servers to handle the IM traffic (acting as proxies for your IM services). Since they have ongoing costs, it's not at all unreasonable for them to charge accordingly.

Marc

p.s. In what way is it outrageous? Do you pay a one-time fee for phone service?
  3. agi
    As I'm still deciding on what product/service to choose for IM, my question would be:

Why not create a product that will use public servers for Yahoo/MSN/ICQ/Jabber instead, charge people one time fee, thus getting more customers. Me included

I know Chatopus does that but is somewhat limited in its funcionality.

I wish I was here when Chatter IM was available so I could run one intergrated application instead of two. Too bad.
  4.    #4  
    this isn't phone service. you can't make that comparison. I don't pay a penny to use AOL IM or Yahoo IM or any other IM service. In what way is it NOT outrageous? why doesn't the traffic go via your phone carrier straight to yahoo or AOL? i already pay for that data service.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    EJ,

Said IM traffic -can- go directly to the IM service's server and not via a proxy. It works just fine and there -are- IM clients for the palm that will work that way.

What you get by using Causerie and Verichat and using their proxy servers are features that just are not possible otherwise. The big one being 'Always On.' With an IM client that connects directly to your IM service once you put that app to sleep, that connection closes and your device is no longer communicating with that service. Verichat's proxy server can talk to your Treo via SMS and tell it "Hey, there's a new message, connect up and get it." (Yes, I know about the data method too, fellow Verichatters, just illustrating my point.) That way the proxy server can keep you logged in all the time.

Honestly, I don't care for software 'rental' either. In this case however, you're paying to use Verichat (or Causerie's) proxy services and infrastructure...and the benefits that usage gets you. If you don't need it or want it?...Use a different product. There's several out there.

$20 a year is a fairly negligible cost. You can spend that on dinner in a lot of places in one single night. Or, write it off as a business expense. Get back some of that tax money the Fed. Govt. steals out of your paycheck every pay period.
    Verichat is awesome and I do not regret paying for it. I've been using it since I had my Clie NR70 and now that I have a Treo 650 i just could not live without it. Have you looked at Win-Hand? Do you know how much they charge per month? Now, that.... is outrageous...!!!

Al
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Have you looked at Win-Hand? Do you know how much they charge per month? Now, that.... is outrageous...!!!
    That's why I use PalmVNC and *insert favorite windows VNC flavor here*. =)

I used to feel the same way EJ does about Verichat. Now that I broke down and subscribed, I'm hooked. I love the always on feature and couldn't live without it.

I did set up my own jabber server and the proxy gateways for the IM services on it with chatopus. It worked, but it still didn't have the always on feature. That right there is -the- killer feature for Verichat and the like.
  8. agi
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    That's why I use PalmVNC and *insert favorite windows VNC flavor here*. =)

I used to feel the same way EJ does about Verichat. Now that I broke down and subscribed, I'm hooked. I love the always on feature and couldn't live without it.

I did set up my own jabber server and the proxy gateways for the IM services on it with chatopus. It worked, but it still didn't have the always on feature. That right there is -the- killer feature for Verichat and the like.
    Actually Chatopus RUNS in the background same as VeriChat and Causerie. If only Causer had better look, I would go for it.

Still deciding. I have nothing against VeriChat except that it does not have Jabber support so I can use Polish Gadu-Gadu network.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agi
    Actually Chatopus RUNS in the background same as VeriChat and Causerie. If only Causer had better look, I would go for it.

Still deciding. I have nothing against VeriChat except that it does not have Jabber support so I can use Polish Gadu-Gadu network.
    I see now that it is advertised as being able to 'run the background.' I'm fairly certain, however it does -not- do it the way Verichat and Causerie do. Maybe their data-only mode, but not SMS mode. The SMS mode, for me, is the best way to go. But, then I have unlimited SMS.

eviljack - Do you really think AOL and Y! IM are free??

Marc
  11. agi
    I think he meant LICENSE free.
    Do you think AOL and Y! don't have (indirect) license fees?

Anyway, this whole discussion is moot. If eviljack doesn't like those products, he doesn't have to buy them. But it's absurd to say that a company shouldn't do as it likes with its pricing.

Marc
  13. agi
    I'm not defending him.

Also I was just testing Causerie and could not get Jabber and Yahoo network to be connected at the same time. Does anyone knows if there is a limitation of running one network at the time I do not know about?
    Well Verichat is worth it, I've had it since I owned my Samsung I300. Never had a problem and never regreted it. It gets better every year.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by agi
    I'm not defending him.

Also I was just testing Causerie and could not get Jabber and Yahoo network to be connected at the same time. Does anyone knows if there is a limitation of running one network at the time I do not know about?
    You can connect to any number of networks at once using Causerie.
  16.    #16  
    how are they not free marc?
    I think the shock EJ experienced in realizing there is a fee for these IM programs is he may be comparing them to other software that are one-time fees for Palm devices. I know that's what my problem was. I never thought about the continuous support that is provided by the likes of Verichat or Causerie.

I myself tried Causerie for a while and loved it, but when the trial period expired I didn't buy it. The reason wasn't necessarily because of the yearly fee, per se, but more because I rarely IM from my phone. Most of the IMs I send are to my wife while we both are at work. I only send occaisional IMs outside of the ones sent from my PC. I have since downloaded the free Yahoo and MSN IM software to use whenever I need to. It's been about 3 months and I have only sent maybe two or three. If I used it more, I would definitely pay for Causerie.
    EvilJack - Their cost is hidden in lots of other charges, including your phone service charge. All I'm saying is that these services have a continuing cost, and somebody is going to pay for them.

Marc
  19.    #19  
    exactly, i dont pay a yearly fee for any other softwar that i can recall - Palm or for my PC. i think ssrjazz explained very clearly what the benefit of these two programs are. thanks by the way. after seeing his post i am more inclined to pay the fee. and i will pay for one of them once i decide on which one. my point (before i understood the always on feature that you need with a phone IM service) was that i don't pay for Yahoo IM or AOL IM. Not really sure what indirect costs Marc may want to attribute, but I pay $45 for my broadband internet service at home whether I IM or not. and if i want to install those IM clients, I dont pay a penny for them. to me it seems marc is a bit over sensitive being a developer. which may be warranted. but even you marc don't charge a yearly fee for all the improvements you make. or are you trying to tell us that is in your plans to do?
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I for one would like to pay the yearly fee for Verichat. However it keeps resetting my Treo so I either have to force myself to like Causerie or do without
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast