Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    EvilJack - I don't provide an ongoing service requiring servers, network lines, etc., so there's no need for me to charge a yearly fee. That's a big difference between Chatter, for example, and other "push" applications which DO have intermediate servers and ALL of which DO have monthly fees - like VeriChat and Causerie, they are charging for an ongoing SERVICE, rather than simply a piece of software.

Marc

p.s. I don't know about you, but my AIM and Y! IM services provide me with lots of obnoxious ads - that's the cost.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    EJ,

I think the point that Marc is trying to make is that -someone- pays to keep all that infrastructure going. In the case of AIM, I would imagine it's the people who use AOL that pretty much pay for that and keep that going. Y!M is paid for by ppl who subscribe to their personals, premium email services, and other services they charge for. Nothing is 'free' by any means. I use Trillian on my pc, so I don't know if the native clients are still doing it, but there used to also be advertising banners in those clients too - which would defn. help pay for those services.

Now, causerie and verichat could do the same thing...sell adverts and make their proxy services available for free and have a one time software cost and charge for client software upgrades - ...but then I'd use neither of them because I don't like having ads spewed at me all the time and upgrade fees (planned obsolescence dontchaknow?) would probably cost me more $$$ than $20 a year to be ad free and be kept up to date.

Think of it as a maintenance contract. Damn cheap one, at that.

Now..can we stop arguing about whether or not Y!M and the like are free? =)

(Can't we all just get along?! *sniff*)
    =)
  3.    #23  
    I agree with most of what you guys have said. I'm even purchasing the damn software/service!! Are you happy?!?!

I also use Trillian, but the free version. I guess i'm just a cheap *******! And it is ad free. So Marc, maybe you should check out Trillian, b/c I don't get the usual popups and ads that AIM and Y! IM users get.

peace.
    i use cclite-its free, not the nicest looking palm IM'er but it is free, and i don't IM on my palm enough to justify a yearly fee
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    I also use Trillian, but the free version.
    I used to use Trillian as well, and it's not "free". There are costs associated with Trillian as well, just not monetary. Your "cost" is that there's no guaranteed uptime, i.e., MSN or Yahoo can block that client whenever they desire, and then you've got a non-functioning app. And then you have to wait for the Trillian developers to get around it, however long that takes. Or you can switch to the native MSN or Y! messengers and deal with the ads.

But since Trillian is shareware and constantly has to be maintained by the developers, you should pay for it anyhow.

As has been stated in this thread before, nothing is free.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Yeah.... I used trillian basic for a LONG time.

Finally gave 'em $25 for Pro....it was worth it to get updates right away.

Now, if they'd just update their damn RSS/News plugin!!!!! augh...
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    Which is why you pay a yearly fee for Verichat or Causerie. If you want constant updates, then you should be expected to pony up at some sort of interval. I have Verichat, and I'm constantly being pushed out new versions.

They don't work for free. I'm a developer, and I'm far from free. I don't roll out a new application for a fixed cost and then maintain and enhance it for free. And neither should they.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    you <---- preaching choir ---->me

I did pay as I mentioned...unf that hasn't motivated the trillian devs to update that plugin...they are too busy working on the NEXT trillian.
    ...unf that hasn't motivated the trillian devs to update that plugin...they are too busy working on the NEXT trillian.
    That's a different story altogether, and probably more than a little inconsiderate to their current customer base.
    I'm back!
    Yes, I agree with most people who have supported on paying for Causerie/Verichat. The developers do not work for FREE and so are the hosting providers. Causerie/Verichat folks have to PAY on a RECURRING BASIS to the hosting service providers to keep the servers on a high bandwidth connection. The hosting service providers are not going to charge a one time fee which some propose to pay for a product like Causerie/Verichat.

Besides the hosting fee, these companies also have to pay for the developers to "adapt" their software to suit the changes done by the public im networks yahoo, msn, aol etc etc.

I think these products are worth the price they are asking for.
    Yeah.... I used trillian basic for a LONG time.

Finally gave 'em $25 for Pro....it was worth it to get updates right away.

What's wrong with the News plugin? Mine works for the feeds I use but haven't updated them in a long time so maybe I'm missing out on something

I'm hoping for better Jabber plugin support personally
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    What's wrong with the News plugin? Mine works for the feeds I use but haven't updated them in a long time so maybe I'm missing out on something

I'm hoping for better Jabber plugin support personally

It only supports an older version of RSS. (0.9, I believe) They need to put RSS 2.0 and Atom support in it. Most of the feeds I need are one or the other and that news plugin won't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    That's a different story altogether, and probably more than a little inconsiderate to their current customer base.
    I agree...which is why I didn't renew when my Trillian subscription expired a month or two ago.
    EJ,

Said IM traffic -can- go directly to the IM service's server and not via a proxy. It works just fine and there -are- IM clients for the palm that will work that way.
    Aside from the official AIM client which either doesn't work properly, is AIM over WAP (a pain) or AIM over SMS.

There's no direct connect AIM client for Palm that I'm aware of.

And probably > 50% of the people (that need an IM Client for their Palm) need AIM.
    Pete
    Lets talk about stability.Whcih is more stable Causerie or Verichat?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    Aside from the official AIM client which either doesn't work properly, is AIM over WAP (a pain) or AIM over SMS.

There's no direct connect AIM client for Palm that I'm aware of.

And probably > 50% of the people (that need an IM Client for their Palm) need AIM.
    I thought I posted this last night...maybe I only previewed it... At any rate:

"Direct Connect" in the context of AIM clients means that the two AIM clients establish a connection with each other and communicate that way instead of passing IM's and such through the AIM IM servers. You're right...there are no Palm clients that do this.

This is not, however, what I said.

What I said was is that there are clients who 'directly connect' to the respective IM servers and speak their native protocols (or at least parts of them). There -are- a few palm clients that do that. There was even one recently that showed a lot of promise, but I'll be darned if I can remember what it was...anyone?...bueller?...
    I'm using ChitChat Lite, after having played with MunduIM, Verichat, Causerie, and AerialIM (Sp?).

I like CCLite because it works great, supports a background mode when a data connection is available, thus far is 100% free, and establishes a proxy-free connection to the MSN server.

I had been using Verichat, and while it worked great on my Treo 650, I simply did not like passing my IM traffic/text to a 3rd party proxy server. I'm not saying that Verichat is doing anything with the traffic data, and I'm not saying that they're not. What I am saying is that I see no value (outside of always-on SMS) in using their proxy server to access MSN Messenger resources, or having to pay a recurring licensing fee. As a matter of fact, I believe it is a security risk to use their proxy server.

I also disagree with a yearly recurring fee, however, I'm not going to gripe about it. Their business model works fine for some folks, for me it doesn't, so I am not using nor going to purchase the application. Is that wrong or right? It's an open market and I can choose how to spend and allocate my money.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    MUNDU!!!... that's the one I was thinking of....

Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I simply did not like passing my IM traffic/text to a 3rd party proxy server. ... As a matter of fact, I believe it is a security risk to use their proxy server.
    You're absolutely right. It -is- a security concern. However, if you have nothing to hide....then well there's very little to worry about. =) Verichat is popular enough that I'd say that if they were a security risk to worry about, someone would have discovered it and I daresay Verichat wouldn't be as popular as it is right now. I'm not trying to evangilize Verichat... just playing devil's advocate here and pointing out that, tho: yes...it is a security concern, it's a matter of how paranoid you are. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get you!

Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    It's an open market and I can choose how to spend and allocate my money.
    Absofreakinlutely!! Vote with your wallet!! =)
    You're absolutely right. It -is- a security concern. However, if you have nothing to hide....then well there's very little to worry about. =) Verichat is popular enough that I'd say that if they were a security risk to worry about, someone would have discovered it and I daresay Verichat wouldn't be as popular as it is right now. I'm not trying to evangilize Verichat... just playing devil's advocate here and pointing out that, tho: yes...it is a security concern, it's a matter of how paranoid you are. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get you!
    You're right, I really don't have anything to hide, and I'm not engaging in secret-squirrel type missions either, but from a security principle, it's a weakpoint.

Also consider that just because I trust the local government (more so than the Verichat developers) doesn't mean I'm going to give them a key to my house. Now if the local government uses the key to snoop around, or keeps it in the event there's a fire the can get in without kicking the door down is moot. They have a level of access that can/may be abused.

I don't have drugs, naked women, kegs of beer, or prostitutes in my house, but that doesn't mean I want a pseudo-trusted entity to rummage through my items and decern if it's of interest to them.

Anyone can kick my front door down, just like anyone can intercept the plain-text packets being transmitted from my phone, over the Internet, to the MSN server, over the Internet, to the MSN recipient. The thing is, the likelyhood of that is far less and exceedingly more difficult than snooping proxy connections/data destined to the Verichat proxy server. And the potential for being caught is far greater.

I've not read Verichat's privacy policy, but I would venture to say that fair-use/monitoring of data for "health of the server" could easily eddy over into reading IM logs.

I also imagine that alot of my thoughts on this issue are deep rooted in my tendency towards OpenSource/Community/GPL/GNU/BSD software as well as applying necessary/common-sense security precautions to every facet of Internet based communication even if viewed as unnecessary or ecessive.
    If you don't want to pay a recurring fee, then get Chatopus:

http://www.chatopus.com/

Otherwise, Mundu only charges a ne time fee afaikafaikafaik...

http://www.geodesiconline.com/htm/pr...mundu_palm.htm

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    If you don't want to pay a recurring fee, then get Chatopus:

http://www.chatopus.com/

Otherwise, Mundu only charges a ne time fee afaikafaikafaik...

http://www.geodesiconline.com/htm/pr...mundu_palm.htm
    And always, ChitChat Lite, which is free.

http://www.kalemsoft.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast