1.    #1  
    I have a Sprint 600 and would like to upgrade to the 650. It appears that the best deal I can find is on https://mytreo.net/store/product.php...ea7d73440bba62

where a new Sprint customer can get it for $289 after rebates.

I am currently out of my contract and called the site up. They said they could only take new service activations and current customers should go through Sprint but the best deal from them is $450 after rebate. TOO MUCH! I thought about jumping ship to Verizon or Cingular but the data plans are much higher.

It appears that all the good Sprint 650 deals are set up for only new customers. It was suggested by the mytreo.net rep that I could open a new activation with a new phone number and then cancel my current one on the 600 after I am up and going. I don't really know if that will work hassle free and I'm not sure about losing my current phone number. Any advice?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  2.    #2  
    Nobody has found a way to cheaply upgrade? My GAWD, what has become of us?
    Gotta jump in here, been a while since I posted. I was in the smae position - sorry my solution wont work for you - I really really really lucked out.

I was trying to find a reasonable upgrade from a 600 to 650, but could not do better than the standard. Anyway I reached out to a co-worker "Hey know anybody that works for sprint". Come to find out, my company is a major sprint customer - there is a major east coast fiber trunk in my building - that we have a sprint rep onsite everyday. He told me he could probably get the 650 for 299, but I would need to do a 2 year commit. So what I've been with them since 98 - no carrier can touch their data anyway.

The next day, dude comes and tells me that he was gonna give me the 650 for FREE, move me over to a corporate account and an addional 10% billing discount. My jaw dropped, then a big smil appeared. Only one condition - being the kind of support position he is in, and the fact that our company is in bed with the "other" telecom company, he can not market Sprint services to employees. All I had to do was send out a mass Email to my division telling what great "personal" service I got from ED. HA HA HA HA HA - yeah I did it, and took the heat from a VP of telecom - LOL. For a free 650, I'd do it again and a gain.

Hey I know you guys cant do that, but it has been fun explaining this situation to someone who can appreciate it.
  4.    #4  
    That's a GREAT story. I have to say that I admire the size of your grapefruits putting that email out. I salute you.