Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    CC lite has caused my treo to reset both times I tried to allow it to run in the background (reset log says reset was caused while running ZLauncher, but I haven't had a reset in weeks, and it happened within 30 seconds of going to background mode), and agile doesn't even have this option. Can you not leave any messenger apps active to run in the background on the Treo 650?

I just installed: cc lite and Agile. Which is better? Why?

Both of the UIs are pretty bad but usable. I like the data counter on Agile, though.

Is there another free messenging app that I should be looking at instead?
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    I had to delete CC Lite for the same reason. I haven't found a FREE alternative. I'm trialing Verichat and really like it, but I'm still getting more resets than I ever did before...from 1or so a week to a couple a day. The worst thing is that they're not just resets, they're freezes. It IS running in the background.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    I had to delete CC Lite for the same reason. I haven't found a FREE alternative. I'm trialing Verichat and really like it, but I'm still getting more resets than I ever did before...from 1or so a week to a couple a day. The worst thing is that they're not just resets, they're freezes. It IS running in the background.
    You said you haven't found a fre alternative? Agile is Free.

If verichat freezes your Treo while running in the background, I don't think that really counts as working.
    Soylent Green Is People

Does Agile work for you? And does it support all the messenger clients?

I agree with you about Verichat. I made someone else, here on TC, put it on his Treo and he's getting pretty frustrated with it. I haven't paid for it, yet. Do you like Agile?
  5.    #5  
    It says it supports ICQ, MSN, AOL, Yahoo, but I have only tested MSN.

In my, very limited, use of it, it appears to work perfectly. The only problem i have is it does not have an option to run in the background. I have my set MSN set to go Mobile when I am off line, so people can always send me messages, and then I just start up Agile when they do, but I would rather have it always on.
    Soylent Green Is People

So do they have to send you a message (SMS?) to alert you, or does Agile?
  7.    #7  
    Do you use MSN messenger (not Window Messenger)?

Your contacts are divided into 3 categories: Online, Offline, and Mobile

Anyone that is listed as Mobile are technically offline, but you can send messages to them, and they get the message as a SMS. They can reply to the message and chat with you using the Chat feature in the built-in Messenging app (or from any cell phone). The Chat feature builty into the Treo 650 works very well and I have no problem with it except that I only have 75 included SMS's in my plan, and they get used up Very fast this way.

So the way I am using it: They see me as "Mobile" and send a message to me. I get that message as a SMS and could chat with them there, but I instead open Agile and chat there (as soon as I open Agile they will see my status change from "Mobile" to Online: Mobile").

I may have over explained it...
    Soylent Green Is People

No! That was great! Yes, I use MSN Messenger almost exclusively. I have a 1000 SMS package, so mobile mode would be okay. You haven't experienced any resets? And, are the developers still adding features to Agile, maybe background mode in the future?

Sorry if I'm being a pest. You wanted answers and end up giving them all... :-)
    I use Chatopus, Jabber (as I already use Jabber elsewhere) and it can run in the background just dandy.
  10.    #10  
    No! That was great! Yes, I use MSN Messenger almost exclusively. I have a 1000 SMS package, so mobile mode would be okay. You haven't experienced any resets? And, are the developers still adding features to Agile, maybe background mode in the future?

Sorry if I'm being a pest. You wanted answers and end up giving them all... :-)
    You are not being a pest at all. I come here to get help and to give help so it is all good.

I just started using Agile, so I don't really know any more about it, but since it is still beta I would guess they are.

Just to be clear the "Mobile" status on MSN Messenger has nothing to do with Agile. It is a purely SMS driven service offered from MSN (go to MSN Messenger>Tools>Options>Phone>Enter your country and phone number>select:allow people on me contacts list to send messages to my mobile device>Click on:Mobile settings, this takes you to the MSN site where you sign up for the Mobile Messenger (it is completely free except your carriers SMS fees).
    Soylent Green Is People

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I use Chatopus, Jabber (as I already use Jabber elsewhere) and it can run in the background just dandy.
    Is that free?
    Soylent Green Is People

Thanks Chillin! :-)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Agile didn't work for me at all. Can't connect to AOL for me....And considering it is just an install...and then enter username and password...I'm kind of powerless to do anything....so it got deleted.

I'm currently trialing Causerie and I'm liking it. It hasn't caused as many crashes as Verichat I'm pretty sure. I UTTERLY HATE the thought of a yearly subscription to use messaging software that is completely free on the PC side, but the background notification is handy and I suppose they do have to use a server to notify me through SMS of new incoming messages....so I might be buying it.

Does Agile work for you? And does it support all the messenger clients?

I agree with you about Verichat. I made someone else, here on TC, put it on his Treo and he's getting pretty frustrated with it. I haven't paid for it, yet. Do you like Agile?
    nukular...are you Sprint or Cingular? Did you try Verichat and opt for Causerie? What's the price difference? I couldn't get a clear price on Causerie...
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    nukular...are you Sprint or Cingular? Did you try Verichat and opt for Causerie? What's the price difference? I couldn't get a clear price on Causerie...

I'm on Sprint.

The Premium version of Causerie is $40 a year (or something like that), but if i remember correctly..you can get it for $54 for two years or ~70 for 3 years..... This is the version that lets you use their 'bots and do things like have multiple log-ins for the same service (I have no clue why one would do this..but...)

I think a single year of the non-premium Causerie is like $25. I don't know about the multi-year discounts for the non-premium version. Its all on their website...though I think you have to add it to your shopping cart before they show the actual prices....
    So the basic program is about the same as Verichat's basic. Thanks!
  17. agi
    Quote Originally Posted by nukular
    I'm on Sprint.

The Premium version of Causerie is $40 a year (or something like that), but if i remember correctly..you can get it for $54 for two years or ~70 for 3 years..... This is the version that lets you use their 'bots and do things like have multiple log-ins for the same service (I have no clue why one would do this..but...)

I think a single year of the non-premium Causerie is like $25. I don't know about the multi-year discounts for the non-premium version. Its all on their website...though I think you have to add it to your shopping cart before they show the actual prices....
    If one has small business and provide IM contact on their website then one can run business and personal logins at the same time. Sounds pretty convinent to me.
    No, Chatopus isn't free but it isn't too expensive either, and no yearly fees.
    My two cents...

I'm a real cheap *******. Most of my "software fund" went to the unbranded version of the phone since I refused to go to Sprint or Cingular ($700). I first tried Agile Messenger but I hate it so much. The UI is crap and it crashes and freezes a lot. I had the same experience when it was on my SE P910i.

Then I tried Verichat. I liked it but wasn't sure about the $25 yearly charge. The goods are it runs in the background (a must!) and the interface is ok. I would prefer some more font options but whatever...

Causerie...I liked this the most but it had some stability problems. The UI is by far the best of all the IM apps for the Treo. The stability problems that I ran into was what caused me not to buy it. With Verichat, I can load it up in the background and do other stuff (no phone calls, obviously) and it would be fine. With Causerie, I would get resets and lockups constantly. The only real apps that are installed on my Treo is SplashMoney and Docs to Go, so it really bugged me for Causerie to be crapping on my like that. After repeat network resets (and soft resets) I just deleted it.

I ended up buying Verichat with no regrets, since I have tried most of IM apps out there (don't like jabber). My only complaint is while leaving the program running on the main screen (it's actively showing before the screen dims), it exits to the desktop (but still in the background). I don't know if its because I have ZLauncher running in the background as well and those two are causing conflict but ZLauncher always win . I would prefer Verichat stays on top only because I can check to see who's on by pressing the power screen for a quick glance. But a minor problem...
    Last edited by Chunky Egg Foo; 06/06/2005 at 11:11 PM.
    FWIW, CC Lite was causing me resets when in the bg as well. So I just keep it inastalled and on the rare occasion I want to actually chat and not use SMS, I'll pull it up. But it has been a while.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast