Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Egg Foo
    My two cents...

I'm a real cheap *******. Most of my "software fund" went to the unbranded version of the phone since I refused to go to Sprint or Cingular ($700). I first tried Agile Messenger but I hate it so much. The UI is crap and it crashes and freezes a lot. I had the same experience when it was on my SE P910i.

Then I tried Verichat. I liked it but wasn't sure about the $25 yearly charge. The goods are it runs in the background (a must!) and the interface is ok. I would prefer some more font options but whatever...

Causerie...I liked this the most but it had some stability problems. The UI is by far the best of all the IM apps for the Treo. The stability problems that I ran into was what caused me not to buy it. With Verichat, I can load it up in the background and do other stuff (no phone calls, obviously) and it would be fine. With Causerie, I would get resets and lockups constantly. The only real apps that are installed on my Treo is SplashMoney and Docs to Go, so it really bugged me for Causerie to be crapping on my like that. After repeat network resets (and soft resets) I just deleted it.

I ended up buying Verichat with no regrets, since I have tried most of IM apps out there (don't like jabber). My only complaint is while leaving the program running on the main screen (it's actively showing before the screen dims), it exits to the desktop (but still in the background). I don't know if its because I have ZLauncher running in the background as well and those two are causing conflict but ZLauncher always win . I would prefer Verichat stays on top only because I can check to see who's on by pressing the power screen for a quick glance. But a minor problem...
    Is Causerie that bad piece of Im software? I think it caused u all sorts of problems. Just tell me how verichat works for u? I am going to try both Verichat and Causerie.
    I just can't believe how much money ppl are willing to spend on a yearly subscription (not just a one time fee) to use IM. Come on ppl, IM should be free!! Why spend money to IM someone FROM YOUR PHONE!!! Pick up the dang thing and call them!!!!

Sorry, I guess I just don't get it.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Egg Foo
    ... With Verichat, I can load it up in the background and do other stuff (no phone calls, obviously) and it would be fine...
    Why no phone calls? If it is simply using a dedicated TCP/IP port that should stop you from getting phone calls. I use Chatter for push email and it rarely stops a phone call from coming in or going out (there are small windows when it could prevent a phone call from coming in). This will vary based on the number and size of email boxes. I haven't tried any of the chat programs yet though I am interested. If running in the background truly means no phone calls I'm probably not that interested.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  4. Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Why spend money to IM someone FROM YOUR PHONE!!! Pick up the dang thing and call them!!!!

Sorry, I guess I just don't get it.
    Generally, folks like to IM/SMS in situations where a voice call is not possible or would be obtrusive to others. e.g. sitting in class in high school (phones not allowed to be used, but many have learned the art of covert messaging), similar for college classes or boring business meetings, riding the bus/train, or riding in a car with other folks.

Also, IM is different from a phone call in that often one will have multiple conversations occurring at the same time.
  5. Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Why no phone calls? If it is simply using a dedicated TCP/IP port that should stop you from getting phone calls.
    I believe on CDMA systems (Sprint/VZW) an active data connection prevents a voice call from coming in. On GSM, voice calls are blocked only when actual data is going through, so the net effect is that most calls will come in.

Someone with greater knowledge please elaborate.

-- Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    Generally, folks like to IM/SMS in situations where a voice call is not possible or would be obtrusive to others. e.g. sitting in class in high school (phones not allowed to be used, but many have learned the art of covert messaging), similar for college classes or boring business meetings, riding the bus/train, or riding in a car with other folks.

Also, IM is different from a phone call in that often one will have multiple conversations occurring at the same time.
    Yeah, so why am I gonna pay $40/year to IM in class when I'm paying TONS more for the class (Yes, you're parents are paying taxes which pay for your school.) Shouldn't I be paying attention to the class which I invested so much in? $40 is a big waste of money to communicate frivolously with someone when I could easily SMS them or wait till a more appropriate time to call them.

Generally, folks like to IM/SMS in situations where a voice call is not possible or would be obtrusive to others.
    You even made part of my point for me. Why not just use SMS?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  7. Lew
    Couple points in response...

(1) SMS likely doesn't communicate with your buddies on AOL or whatever other IM setup you prefer. I suspect GPRS data is cheaper than SMS pools on some carriers when you get to large #'s. Cingular is $20 for 2500 SMS; which I suspect would get used up pretty quickly if you were a heavy user since you get "charged" for incoming and outgoing. $20 unlimited data plus an IM client may well be cheaper for some folks.

(2) there's a big difference between explaining a line of thinking and being a proponent of such. Be careful not to mistake the two. As a parent of a couple teen's and heavily involved in scouts, marching band, etc. I'm fairly well in touch with the reasoning even though I don't agree with it. I answered your question; if you wish to debate the points, you'll need to find someone who disagrees with you.

-- Lew
    I have a 1000 SMS and would have used them up in less than a week because the person I SMS with has unlimited. Phone calls use minutes which are limited too, since he is on Sprint, I'm Cingular. Unless we restrict it to after nine p.m. or weekends, my bill would be huge. And I want anytime access, thus, the necessity for IM.

Another point is...not all people I SMS have a qwerty keyboard. It's more difficult to send hundreds of messages in a conversation, using the number pad on a regular phone.
    I believe on CDMA systems (Sprint/VZW) an active data connection prevents a voice call from coming in. On GSM, voice calls are blocked only when actual data is going through, so the net effect is that most calls will come in.

-- Lew
    Well, I only turn it off when I'm expecting phone calls because it reduces the risk of resets in the middle of the call. While this is not Verichat's problem, I still am on a Treo
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

-- Lew
    I raised the question because the poster is using GSM. I believe that your description of how things work concerning CDMA and GSM is accurate which prompted my question.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred
    Is Causerie that bad piece of Im software? I think it caused u all sorts of problems. Just tell me how verichat works for u? I am going to try both Verichat and Causerie.
    Causerie works like a charm for me. Using it since I bought my Treo no problem till now and even if there is any, I mail their support and get the solution immmediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by ideas
    Causerie works like a charm for me. Using it since I bought my Treo no problem till now and even if there is any, I mail their support and get the solution immmediately.
    I am using causerie from past one week and I faced two problems that made to mail their support twice. They replied me immediately and important thing is that they fixed my problems with their replies.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12