I've searched through the site and haven't found anyone else w/ this problem so here goes:

I recently upgraded from a Treo 600 to a 650 and I've been having a problem over the last few days w/ Verizon's SMS service. My 650 is setup to handle email/messaging in the following way:

I've set my POP mail accounts to forward my email to my Verizon Vtext account. In turn my Vtext acct. sends me an SMS showing who the email is from as well as a few lines of text. Based on the importance of this SMS I can then choose to use Snappermail to download the entire message from my POP mail server.

This method has worked very well for me on my 600 and the first few days that I've had my 650. However late last week I've noticed that SOME of the SMS messages I receive show "EMAIL GATEWAY" in the "from" field of my message and either no message at all in the message body or, in some cases, corrupted data characters. This forces me to dial into my POP mail server after every corrupted SMS to download the entire email so I can read it and decide whether to respond.

I spent two hours w/Verizon's data service team on Saturday and after numerous tests they've determined that the handset must be faulty. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    I just bought a new Treo 650 thru Verizon wireless and the signal indidcator frequently turns red. This blocks any incoming calls. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
    I have had this problem as well. I just bought the phone 2 weeks ago, replacing a Kyocera 7135. I use the SMS to receive pages from my answering service, and this has happened from the beginning. At least it worked normally for you for at first; it has not worked for me since I got the phone.

Out of curiosity, when did the problem begin? I was on the phone w/ VZW support for 4 hours Friday night, and they told me a major upgrade of their system occurred the day before. I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it (they weren't sure, either), but there may be a connection. The wierd thing is, I can page myself from vtext.com or my own desktop email (Outlook); it's only the answering service's email program that causes the problem.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, because I'd love to know the solution, too. But you're not alone, in any event...
    I'm in the NY area and I would guess that this problem started to occur some time late last week (Thurs.?). For the two weeks prior the SMS worked flawlessly just as it did w/ my Treo 600.

If I use the Vtext site to send an SMS all works as it should however if I send a rather long email via Outlook to my vtext address most times, if not all, it gets to my handheld all corrupted. Same thing happens when my emails are forwarded to my vtext acct. from my POP mail servers.

For the life of me I can't understand why this worked so well on the 600 and even stranger still is why it worked on the 650 for the first couple of weeks. Tech support was adament that everything is working fine on their end in regards to SMS messaging. I don't get it.......
    Quote Originally Posted by keys
    I'm in the NY area and I would guess that this problem started to occur some time late last week (Thurs.?). For the two weeks prior the SMS worked flawlessly just as it did w/ my Treo 600.

If I use the Vtext site to send an SMS all works as it should however if I send a rather long email via Outlook to my vtext address most times, if not all, it gets to my handheld all corrupted. Same thing happens when my emails are forwarded to my vtext acct. from my POP mail servers.

For the life of me I can't understand why this worked so well on the 600 and even stranger still is why it worked on the 650 for the first couple of weeks. Tech support was adament that everything is working fine on their end in regards to SMS messaging. I don't get it.......
    I think that it IS on VZW's end. Thursday is when their tech support told me they did their software upgrade. Coincidence? FWIW, I am also in NY (Upstate).

I have found a work around solution (actually, my answering service did). If the messages are sent via www.teleflip.com, the messages come through just fine; just have whoever is sending you the message to do it the same way as vtext, but replace vtext.com with teleflip.com.

I know it doesn't solve the actual VZW problem, but you won't be dead in the water waiting for a solution to be found. Hope this helps...
    Just tested it - I'm getting the "email gateway" message as well.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Spent ONE HOUR on the phone with Verizon - several levels, repeating myself every time. Finally got through to someone who had a test 650, and..... dah, was able to reproduce it themselves. Interestingly, it doesn't happen all of the time.

They wrote it all up and said they they "will research it".
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    I received a call from VZW tech support tonight. (Yeah, they actually called me!) They have acknowledged that there are certain email clients that are getting a corrupted message through. They say they'll be keeping me informed. I'll post something when I get a more definitive answer...
    I certainly hope all in the meanwhile you folks will receive a credit. While one may feel it may be cheap to ask for a credit in this instance, it is that very gesture which forces Verizon to be on their toes and not get complacent about these problems. Consumers definitely need to put the pressure on when there are problems like this.
    Glad you guys are getting some action from VZW. I'm having the same problem, also in NY. I called tech support today and the csr I got insisted there was no problem with their system because the message she sent me came through ok. I insisted the was a problem, but she just kept asking "is there anything else I can do for you today?" Didn't have the time or patience to argue. Hopefully they'll resolve it soon.
    Okay, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to talk about this problem, but I just found this board. I just upgraded from a Kyocera 7135 (6135 before that) to a Treo 600. Fortunately, on my 15th day of having the 600 I got an email from Verizon announcing they now had the 650 so I upgraded. My problem with the 650 has been pretty constant crashing that only a hard reset will stop. Then, I can't sinc anything until I rename the backup file. Then I can sinc, and THEN I can sinc with the backup file. It worked for a week perfectly, and then yesterday when I went to a web page (that I've gone to before) it crashed with the same sinc problems. I've been on the phone with Verizon for more hours than I care to think about and they now say they'll send me another phone as soon as they have another one (temporarily out ). Could this be the phone problem? Why do they say that you can upgrade this phone from any previous Palm phone when I never could? I had to beam contacts and calendar to the new phone. Sorry again to ramble on.
    The most frustrating thing to me isn't the problem itself; it's the contention from Verizon that everything is working as it should on their end and therefore I must be the source of the problem.

The fact of the matter is prior to a week or so ago this setup worked FLAWLESSLY. No changes were made on my end in regards to the adding of apps, etc. so smething must have changed on Verizon's end... no?
    BTW, the solution posted by tbaxter above about using telefilp.com, works for me. I don't like the idea of having a third party dependency, but it's a good work-around until the problem is fixed at Verizon.
    The problem w/ teleflip is that it sometimes takes quite a while for me to receive the SMS.

**UPDATE** I received a call earlier today from the same Verizon tech I was dealing with this past Saturday. According to his message they (Verizon) now believe the problem is within their system and they're (supposedly) working to correct this issue..
    VZW just now (1:33 p.m.) and sent me a SMS message that worked, and they told me they found the problem in their system. Everyone should check it out and make sure. I just tested with my answering service, and everything is up and running again! Yeeeeha!
    Looks pretty good over here as well. Just got another call from the Verizon tech advising me that they've fixed the problem on their end and all should be working correctly now.

So far so good.
    Looks good here too. I've been receiving pages correctly all day.