1.    #1  
    I know little about this stuff, that's why I'm asking- everything EVDO here has been cingular related so far. I'm interested being that i'm in the philadelphia market. Here's the related article:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000113045762/

Questions:
    1. Does/Will the 650 be compatible?
    2. Will it cost more than a standard data plan? Will it require another plan?
    3. What's the expected speed increase?
    4. Will DUN function the same?

TIA,
    -BT
    EVDO 1, is a CDMA only tech. It is a new type of data compression which will allow for faster data transferring.

Cingular uses EDGE which is a type of GSM data technology, an enhanced GPRS (hence EGPRS).

The treo 650 is not an EVDO device
    My guess is if you want to have access to EV-DO, you'll need to buy a new phone. That is your answer to question #1.
    The only devices that are EVDO capable that sprint offers is the new connection card and the 660x series of ppc phones. Even with these you are still not going to just roam into evdo coverage and have it automatically work.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it wasn't going to work.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    My big question with the sprint evdo rollout is when are we going to see a treo that is EVDO capable?- its seems like last year at this time we were hearing a lot about the "upcoming" treo 650- where are the rumors this time?
    Odd isn't it? There is a long thread that is active now buried around here somewhere that is focusing on this. Where are the rumors?

EVDO at its best is going to require a faster processor and more memory than what the 650 can provide now. It is amazing how much faster the new sprint ppcs zip around the web. Same data throughput, but the ppc has more computing horepower.

I think that the rumor of an evdo 650 doesnt make much sense.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    What about the PPC has more computing horsepower? Problem is, you can't just compare processor speed across the board since Palm OS has always had less overhead than PPC. That being said, having setup a Cingular SX66 today in the office, it didn't appear to browse any faster than my Treo.

And with that in mind, there is less than 100 MHz difference in the two and the PPC unit is running an OS w/ more overhead. I think the existing processor running Palm OS would do just fine w/ EVDO. Besides, EVDO is a hardware upgrade anyway....who said it needed the core processor to do anymore work?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    I am aware that evdo is a hardware upgrade. My point is obviously focused on my experience. Take it with a grain of salt...

My 6600 browsed the web significantly faster than any of my treos ever have. Including the 650. With that said, it is valid to say that the device either has a faster data connection or it can process the incoming data at a faster rate than the treo.

We know that the former is false, making the latter true.

Obviously this is not perfect science, but if I can surf faster on the same network than there is something in the hardware that is accounting for the increase in speed. Ram, processing speed etc, etc.

Am I wrong?

-rob
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Obviously this is not perfect science, but if I can surf faster on the same network than there is something in the hardware that is accounting for the increase in speed. Ram, processing speed etc, etc.

Am I wrong?

-rob
    well, I won't answer if you are wrong or not, but your premise is flawed. There's a lot more involved than the network speed and the hardware speed.

There's the OS. While PalmOS has less overhead than PPC it isn't know for handling background operations particularly gracefully.

There's the networking stack: Again, PalmOS has never been know for a great networking stack. In fact, networking was definitely an afterthought for PalmOS.

There's the browser implementation itself. I can't compare the two, but they are certainly not equal.

There can be intermediate network hops like web caches. Treo650's are configured to use a gateway. Is your PPC using the same one??

That's a short easy list. There are certainly more, but it's pointless to try to list them all. My point is not to say you are wrong. Just that there are many more than two variables in this equation.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel
    Just that there are many more than two variables in this equation.
    Dave
    Okay, how about all those tests that compared the rendering of web pages using a pocket pc with wifi and the lifedrive?

The lifedrive lost accross the board. It's OK to say that blazer's technology (or did they license this from Netfront?) for web page rendering is not quite what it could be. It's funny cuz PIE is pretty slow, considering the processing powers of some of these PPCs.

I think the lack of threading is finally catching up with palm. A web browser is much more efficient when it can run seperate threads that capture the html, images, etc all at once.
    Are you trying to imply the PPC has multi-thread capability?!! (IE: HyperThreading)

I think you meant to say Multi-tasking instead of multi-threaded.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Multi-tasking: ability to run multiple programs at the same time.

Multi-threading: ability for a single program to run multiple subroutines (processes) within itself concurrently. Threads are a way for a program to split itself into two or more simultaneously running tasks.

HyperThreading: An Intel technology in which a CPU can run more than one set of instructions (threads) at a time. HyperThreading has nothing to do with software or the OS. It all happens in the CPU's internal memory (cache) and instruction set, not the software code of a program like Internet Explorer.

So if PocketIE is able to "run seperate threads that capture the html, images, etc all at once", then it is a multi-threaded application.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 07/02/2005 at 07:53 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.