1.    #1  
    Hello to everyone and "thank you" in advance for any input that you can offer.

I have only been using my Treo 650 (Sprint) for a few weeks now ad love all of the potential that comes along with it. However, I have quickly learned that I probably should not rely on VersaMail as my primary application. Versamail seems to be truncating a lot of my messages and will not allow me to attach photos into the email.

I have read though many of the threads here and I most of them only offer opinions without clearly stating specific tech-related reasons for chosing one app over the other.

If someone could please offer a tech-difference of these 2 apps (or if there is something even better) along with prices and links to obtain the software, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks again,
    Adam
    Since both Chatter and Snappermail are available for trial . . . test them out. There will be supporters of all three and since it will end up being a personal decision based on your exact needs you maght as well get started. I have Snapper but don't use it anymore. I decided that Versamail offered all I needed and didn't use up valuable memory (Not so much a problem after the update).

BTW truncating is simply a setting. You can set the initial retrieve limit. I download just the headers and retrieve the important messages. Also Versamail sends attachements just fine. Sounds like a review of the menues is in order.
    Not this again... I know you are a new member so my word of advice would be to use the search function on Treocentral and you will find lots and lots of threads about the same exact question.

Al
  4.    #4  
    Al,

Thanks for being so helpful...Here's to hoping that find yourself in need of assistance from all those willing to spend the same amount time to criticize as it would have been to advise. (No wonder the child in the picture looks so exasperated)
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    palmer13 -

In defense of Al, treocentral members are expected to search for threads b4 starting a new thread with the same question being asked. The reason for this is not to offend new users, but to enable them to immediately find a wealth of resources which are sometimes populated with posts inxs of 100. Reading a well developed thread can answer (and raise) more questions than you originally had.

Here are a few that were found with a search for "chatter vs snapper".

Good luck

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hatter+snapper
    palmer13,
    I understand you are new here and I don't mean to be hard on you, but if you use the search link on TreoCentral you will find tons of useful material. Why do you want to start your own thread when there are ongoing discussions already? Just post on the thread that has the same title. Some people are just lazy here and keep adding more new posts with the same questions. I've been with TC since the year 2000 and believe me it gets annoying when lazy people prefer to insist on redundant topics than to search. Dude, it takes less effort to use the search link than to create a new thread. Take a wise advice from an old member, believe me I mean no bad. Now, about the baby, leave my personal business alone and mind your own business.

Al
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I agree with previous poster you should at least give the Search function a try.

I did the following search: search>advanced search>"chatter snapper">Titles Only then at the bottom >view by posts

This way I got 10 decent threads (including yours unfortunately) which shouldn't take very long to look over.

The link is http://discuss.treocentral.com/searc...archid=1711310

And so this doesn't turn into another useless thread with no insight or info, and having demo'd Snapper and owning Chatter, here's my take:

First of all, if it doesn't already, change or add a mail host which supports IMAP and idle. For a good host, you will unfortunately need to try another search("imap host" perhaps?) This seems like an unnecessary step but this way you will always have your mail stored on a server and should your desktop or treo die you won't have lost all your correspondence. The other key advantage is when setting up an imap mail client, your folder setup which may have taken years to setup automatically populate your mail client (imagine everytime setting up a mail client like logging onto a webmail interface-this makes your preferences client independent). These are my two primary reasons I have converted my work and personal mail to some kind of IMAP hosting. If your sentimental about your mail addy(which is probably pop3), you can set your desktop client to reply with your old addy. Chatter can do this too; I am not sure about Snapper. For an example of how a lot of members here and myself use pop3 in conjunction with fastmail, check out the last post from the first thread I posted above.

As to Snapper vs Chatter, I believe you should take both for a test run to best decide which you prefer. As I recall Snapper has a SD memory card archiving feature which in theory would allow you to store as much mail on your Treo as your current desktop. I initially played with the idea that the Treo could be substitute for a laptop (not impossible but an unpleasant experience for me) but found having all my mail available to me, well, a burden is the best way I can describe it.

I found Chatter suited my needs better because:
    1) The developer, Marc, is simply superior. Code is important, yes, but support is ultimately more important. Marc is so open to suggestions that through the thoughtful prodding of his customers, he added POP3 (though he considers it archaic and a touch evil ) and support for AOL, among other enhancements.
    2) Due to asynchronous background syncing otherwise colloquially thought of as "push" I get e-mail faster than a desktop and SMS. This allows me to make a very timely response which gives more value to my correspondence.
    3) Attachment support is now decent in Chatter.
    4) As I said storing all my mail as in Snapper simply didn't make sense for me, I only want to work with mail dated 30 days or less on a Treo, any mail older than that is either irrelevant or requires more attention which is better suited to research on a desktop.

Note above I use my when I speak of information and/or preferences, NOT hardware. I have no particular affinity for an OS platform, I just want to maintain the integrity of my information.

Lastly, if you find this response helpful, save this as a thread to your "User CP" and please give a considered response to the next "newbie".

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer13
    Hello to everyone and "thank you" in advance for any input that you can offer.

I have only been using my Treo 650 (Sprint) for a few weeks now ad love all of the potential that comes along with it. However, I have quickly learned that I probably should not rely on VersaMail as my primary application. Versamail seems to be truncating a lot of my messages and will not allow me to attach photos into the email.

I have read though many of the threads here and I most of them only offer opinions without clearly stating specific tech-related reasons for chosing one app over the other.

If someone could please offer a tech-difference of these 2 apps (or if there is something even better) along with prices and links to obtain the software, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks again,
    Adam
    Last edited by puyi; 06/06/2005 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add title
  8.    #8  
    Thank you very much for your help. I do understand (and also find it frustrating when it is a blatant question when you can see the exact same topic on the same page).

I read several threads on the subject a few pages deep (as stated) and simply felt that they were not as informative as I was hoping for (and that was now provided).

Best regards to all,
    Adam