1.    #1  
    Hi,

For the last 2 days I've been messing with my second Treo 650, after the first one crashed out of the box. So far I love it with the exception of a few glitches, most notably the very low earpiece volume... My next question has to do with battery life. It seems like my battery (oem) drains much faster than it should. So far, I have installed no 3rd party apps, no sd card in slot, have not browsed the net, and have only used it to make calls via the handset, no bluetooth, totally a stock 650 out of the box. IR recieve is turned off. If I leave it idle with the radio on, after a couple hours it is down by 5-6%. While this might not seem like a lot, my old treo would only drain 1-2%.... Plus, after a few minutes of toying with the apps/camera it drops 2-3%.. I've also noticed that when fully charged (100%) the second I unplug it, it automatically drops to 99%, then a few minutes later it is at 98%..

I'm wondering if it might take a few full charges to get the battery where it needs to be. Next I'm wondering if the problem stays, if the problem stems from the phone itself, or is isolated to the battery. This is already my second unit, and I don't know if Cingular will give me another one. However, I want to make sure this one has no problems. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jon

p.s. Anyone know how many mAh the stock battery is ???
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=battery

Some thoughts are in this thread.

Good Luck.
  3. GXX
    I'm seeing the same issue, instant power drop to 99% right after unplugging and single digit % drops there after. Stock battery is 1900 I believe.

I can go about 12 hrs in a day of on and off use and it'll go down to about 30%
    I have the exact same problem...
    I drop to 70% during a normal day. I dropped to 39% on one 15 hour business trip that included constant e-mail and phone usage and 3 hours of RealPlayer music on the back and forth plane rides.

Sounds like you folks have something draining the battery besides what you think.
    Turn off the beam recieve function??

I have TreoGuard turn the screen off during phone calls. . . . . .

I also have Twilight to keep the key backlights off during the day. . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=twilight
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/06/2005 at 11:53 AM.
  7. GXX
    Twilight sounds like a good freebie to install, I'll check that later when I get home.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the replies...

It really sucks that both Treo's I've used so far, new out of the box have had so many glitches. It really is a dissapointment, especially given the expectations I had.

I guess the only thing to do is try out a new battery, but I doubt that it will help much....

Another thing I've noticed that might be relevant: When the charging indicator reaches 99% , it takes about 30 minutes from that point to reach 100%. Even weirder is that when I unplug it, then plug it back in 2 seconds later (at 99%), it takes another 15 minutes to reach 100%, when it just showed 100% a few seconds earlier????

As far as the 3rd party apps which help regualte battery use, etc:

They are great, and I understand what they are supposed to do, but regardless, given the situation with nothing installed, the battery should still not drain this fast, with or with out a power regulator...
    Again, if anyone has any tips...
    Are you in a low radio signal area and the phone is constantly trying to find better service . . .?
  10. GXX
    Btw, I know why my Treo drains batteries quickly. I have Chatter on all the time using IMAP. Turning it off improves batt life greatly. However, I do need email on all the time so I have to find a balance between the two.
  11.    #11  
    Well,

The signal is always great, that is one positive. I guess I'll stop complaining and just be happy that it's under warranty. If it becomes a huge issue, I can always exchange it through palmone's exchange program...

Thanks for the replies,

dbond
    if you have verichat it may be draining it if it's in data mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbond45
    Hi,
    I've also noticed that when fully charged (100%) the second I unplug it, it automatically drops to 99%, then a few minutes later it is at 98%..
    Same thing happens to mine; but I never considered it a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbond45
    Another thing I've noticed that might be relevant: When the charging indicator reaches 99% , it takes about 30 minutes from that point to reach 100%. Even weirder is that when I unplug it, then plug it back in 2 seconds later (at 99%), it takes another 15 minutes to reach 100%, when it just showed 100% a few seconds earlier????
    After unplugging mine, yes it drops to 99%, but it doesnt take 15 minutes to get back to 100%. If it does, then I guess I just didnt pay that much attention to it. All I know is that the LED is green.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    If you have any apps that loses connection and tries to reconnect often or if u have data mode on for ur IM software then I am sure ur battery will drain very very easily.
  15.    #15  
    Nope,

No third party apps installed. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Stock outta the box...

Battery life sucks..

Anyone have any idea how palmone's warranty exchange works??

Thanks,

Jon
    Well, if it really is new-straight-out-of-the-box no 3d party software, then it must be the hardware. If I do not use the Treo much it drains about 20-25% during the day (bt off). If I use it intermediately (few phone calls, bt on) that will be 35%. If I use it a lot (Chatter running in the background) then it will drain about 45-50%. So I think batterylife is pretty good. Better check the phone, or see if you can try a replacement battery. Good luck! This type of issue with a new toy is a real bummer.