1.    #1  
    I have been using docs to go on my T650 for a couple of months. It's q great program with one major limitation it seems. There are times when I create a Word file on my Laptop and want to send it to my office via e-mail. Since my laptop isn't wirelessly connected to the web, I've tried both IR and Bluetooth transfers to my T650 and then e-mailing it from my phone. It seems that my 650 converts the file to some unreadable format during the transfer, so I can neither open it on my 650, nor can the recepient of my e-mail open up the file. Anyone know of a workaround for this problem?
    I think it is because you are attaching documents in the To Go-format. Open the document on your Treo, choose Save as. Next to Format it probably says Sheet To Go or Word to Go? If so, choose Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word instead.

Hope this helped.

P.S. You can do this from your PC as well. Open Documents To Go, highlight the document, a menu appears on the right side with info about the documents you've highlighted. Choose format next to Handheld Format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    ...a menu appears on the right side with info about the documents you've highlighted...
    Spelling error... Should of course be "the document you've highlighted".
    Why not use PDANet software and your hotsync cable? You will then have wireless internet access from your laptop through your Treo and can then use Netscape as your browser and email client.

Dave
  5.    #5  
    I'm actually creating the docs on my laptop in Word format, and then sending them via IR and Bluetooth to my 650. The 650 seems to mutate the file format during transfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by finkkatz
    I'm actually creating the docs on my laptop in Word format, and then sending them via IR and Bluetooth to my 650. The 650 seems to mutate the file format during transfer.
    I assume that you are emailing the word document from the 650 as a Versamail attachment... I would assume that is where the problem lies. Your laptop can use your 650 as a modem through either my suggestion of PDANet or the bluetooth hack -- there exists a thread on how to accomplish that. I hope that helps.

Dave
    The other possibility is the preference settings in Docs to Go. It can be set to transfer files to your 650 either in their original format (which should be readable by everone) or to convert the copy on the 650 to the "to go" format to save space. Unfortunately that version is only readable by other PDA users.

If you open up Docs to Go and check "tools"/"prefernces"/General tab you can change the settings. You can also manually change the format for individual documents as mentioned in post 2.
  8.    #8  
    I appreciate all of the thoughtful responses, but they are all solutions to a problem different than the one I'm having. Perhaps my original question was unclear, so let me restate: #1 I create a Word document on my Laptop computer, #2 I save document on my Laptop's HD, #3 I transfer the Word file to my 650 via Bluetooth or IR (U DO NOT TRANSFER USING E-MAIL), #4 I attempt to open the transferred document using Docs to Go on My 650. PROBLEM: Docs to go does not recognize the format of the transferred doc.
    Does anyone have any thoughts? Again, this is for on the fly wireless file transfers FROM my laptop TO my T650 when I do not have Internet access on my laptop.
  9. agi
    I think you need to CONVERT it first in Docs to Go for Win software then transfer any way you want it.

Still looking for ways of saving a word type file (in my case OpenOffice.org on Linux) and transfering it to the Palm to be read.
  10.    #10  
    What if I want to transfer it, not to read or edit on the 650, but simply to have the file on the 650 so I can attach it to an e-mail and e-mail it to someone's desktop? I don't understand why all word files that I transfer via Bluetooth or IR end up altered. I can attach them to an e-mail on my 650, but when I send it to someone's computer, they can't read it.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks DaGunn!