Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone!

I am going to be going to be in Lake Havasu next week and don't have an internet connection set up there. I would love to bring my new Treo 650 up there and use it with my Apple iBook G4 to get on the internet. I was wondering what people prefer when using DUN: 1) bluetooth (usb dongle) with shadowmite's patch or 2) USB connection with PDAnet. Which method is easiest to set up and which will allow me to surf the web quicker? By the way, my provider is Verizon Wireless.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Mike
    I haven't used the hack, but I know that PDANet is very easy to set up and worked flawless for me. But of course it costs money. The hack is free. Go to Shadowmite's website and you can read about how the hack works, and if it is available for Verizon. I'm assuming that PDANet is available for Verizon, but I haven't checked.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply! I know Pdanet will cost $$, but I will probably come out even since I would need to purchase a USB BT dongle for my iBook.

I'd appreciate any more comments people might have.

Thanks again!!!!
    Mike
    I haven't used PDAnet, but I found Bluetooth DUN to be somewhat unstable and difficult to set up with my bluetooth adapter. Some of that probably has to do with my bluetooth adapter and bluetooth in general on the 650. My bluetooth dongle and headset have been collecting dust, so obivously they didn't work for me (I guess I should sell them).

I've been thinking about getting PDA net so. From what I can tell it would be easier and more stable, which means I might actually use it. :-.

Mike
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I got PDAnet for XP yesterday and it rocks. Seamless and as easy to install as to use. Unfortunately, their web site says there is no native support for Mac.
  6. TAW
    I tried to get PDAnet to work with my PB G4 and I was not sucessful. I am using the BT hack on shadowmites site and have been pretty happy with it.
    BT DUN is awesome, I recommend you look for the thread talking about DrWowe's BT DUN patch used in conjunction with YAHM. It's tons more stable than Shadow's. It eliminates the reset issues and is more stable.

I used Shadows for a while b/c it was working okay but gave DrWowe's a shot and couldn't be happier.

I am connecting my HP laptop to my treo flawlessly with a Kennsington USB BT adapter. Works great riding shotgun along the freeway, in Las Vegas, and at parks when I'm not close enough to someone's wifi Anyways, using BT DUN is awesome!!! and fairly simple to setup. I have no experience with PDANet.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    What is the functional difference between Shadowmite's patch and Dr. Wowe/YAHM patch?
  9.    #9  
    which BT dongle are you using TAW??
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I use PDANet. To answer your question: if you already have the Treo paired with you laptop on BT, both USB and BT are equally easy to use with PDANet. Obviously, BT is more convenient b/c you don't have to connect a cable. If you haven't paired the Treo your laptop, it can be tricky. Not hatd, but you may need patience.
    I guess I'll lucky to have little to no stability issues with Shadowmite's BtManager_patch.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    shaowomite's BT DUN had been very stable for me. I also have PDANET. PDANET is signifigantly faster but it is windows only, there was another program out there for the mac but forgive me but i just didnt pay much attention toit because i dont use the mac. the BT DUN is deffinately acceptable. id say give it a try and see if it serves you or if you need something more..free is free
    yo, i actually had that bummer with PDANet myself since I do a lot more work on my iBook now instead of my Thinkpad (T40). There's a program out there called WirelessModem (wirelessmodem.dmg). I haven't tried it yet, because I need to get a BT adapter for my ibook, but I found it to be a substitute for PDANet for mac.
    I tried WirelessModem with my Verizon Treo 650 and Powerbook G4 (10.3.9). Everytime I initiate the connection on the Mac side, the Treo crashes. WirelessModem developer provides no support. Everybody who wants to use the Treo 650 as a modem via cable (not bluetooth) on MacOS should email support@junefabrics.com and try to talk them into developing a Mac version!
    I got BT DUN working with the patched BT Manager. Can anyone compare speeds over BT versus usb? I'm on a Mac and wonder if the $37xx for Wireless modem is worth it...faster speeds against BT (costs me nothing) might make it so.
    ovrdrvn: I followed the instructions very carefully to try to get WirelessModem working on my Verizon Treo 650 with Mac OS 10.3.9. I never could get it to work. Every time I initiated the dialup connection on the Mac side, the Treo would crash. From what I read on the forums, I think there may be something in the USB interface in the 650 that is not compatible with the current version of WirelessModem. (If anyone can confirm or deny that, I'd appreciate it.)

Anyway, you can download and try WirelessModem for 14 days (notifymail.com) before you buy it. I would see if I could get it working before shelling out the $. I think it needs an update before it will work with the 650. If you get it working, please let us know how you did it on this thread. Thanks.

Also, PDAnet seems to be a much more stable, thought out and supported program than WirelessModem, but it is not *yet* available for Mac. So send an email to support@junefabrics.com and let them know that there is a great demand for a Mac version of PDAnet!
    I used shadowmite's BT DUN hack with OSX Tiger and I'm consistently getting speeds of 100kbs according to dslreports. This is faster than I ever expected, quite honestly.

The pairing is the trickiest part of the process, but once you get it you don't have to ever set it up again because hte Powerbook will remember. You have to delete you pairing (if you've tried already) and then reset both the palm and the laptop. Then, don't pair the two devices together until AFTER you have turned on DUN on the Treo. The laptop will then recognize that the Treo has DUN services, and from then on all you have to turn on DUN and then connect with your laptop using Internet Connect. It's quite easy,and very fast.

This is on Verizon, btw.
    Interesting... I'm getting about 110 kbps from dslreports using the Treo's built-in browser. When using the Treo as a modem for the Mac, however, I'm only getting about 60 kbps. Could you post all your detailed settings in your Network Preference Pane on the Mac? Might be some setting that I've got wrong?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!
    i was wondering the same thing. i tried out PDANet w/the USB connection and it worked perfectly. i tried PDANet w/BT and had some problems. i then tried the hacked DUN and while i could connect w/BT perfectly and dial out when it got to the user/pass part it wouldn't go through. i used the standard WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM and CINGULAR1 but it just wouldn't connect w/that user/pass. PDANet fired up and connected before i could blink so i've stuck w/PDANet. trying to get BT working was driving me nuts...
    P.S. Also, what modem script are you using on the Mac side?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast