1.    #1  
    Yesterday I had just over 15 MB RAM available. I was puzzled by this, and couldn't find any large files in RAM that would explain it. I do not have anything installed in RAM except what came on the phone and installation CD, and I moved the games to the SD card.

Then I had a problem with Versamail and decided to hard reset and reinstall everything. Now I have all my applications reinstalled, along with my email, contacts, calendar, etc. Everything that I had before is working just the same now. Only thing is, now I have 21.2 MB RAM free!!!

Can anyone explain this? Why should I have to do a hard reset every few months to keep my memory free?
    Are you sure you didn't "lose" AddressDB, ScheduleDB, MemoDB and ToDoDB? (I think I have the names right.) The DataManager ("datamangler") patch within the OS will create these legacy mirrors of the newer, proprietary, PalmOne databases whenever you use a third-party app that needs the old-format database.

Since they're only created on demand, they won't be present immediately after a hard reset & restore.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  3.    #3  
    Not sure about that. Two days later and I still have 21 MB free.
    Was DocsToGo reinstalled after your hard reset? That's all I can think of at the moment from the original install that might not have tranfered over after hard reset and would take up that kind of space in ram. There is, however, a way to move DocsToGo over to the SD card using a free program from pimlico(sp?).
    How about email. Did you have a large number of email messages (or one with a very large attachment) still on your device. Remember that "deleting" them only moves them to a deleted folder, it doesn't remove them from the device until you empty that folder.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6.    #6  
    DocsToGo has been reinstalled, moved to the card, and is working fine. I had deleted all email except for a few sent messages. The email should not have been more than 100k. I couldn't delete the sent messages because when I tried to view or delete them, my T650 would reset. That's why I did the hard reset in the first place.

Oh well, I guess I'll never know now. I'm going to keep a close eye on it now, though, and see if/when the memory usage goes up. Especially whether it is a gradual thing.

Thanks for the ideas!
    Since you are running files from the SD card, you'll find a program will stay RAM resident until such time as your treo needs to free up that memory, you backup, reset or hot-sync - at which time the memory will be freed up. Perhaps this is what you saw?

Try loading Doc-To-Go and then close the program, likely it will remain in memory...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Since you are running files from the SD card, you'll find a program will stay RAM resident until such time as your treo needs to free up that memory, you backup, reset or hot-sync - at which time the memory will be freed up. Perhaps this is what you saw?

Try loading Doc-To-Go and then close the program, likely it will remain in memory...
    Interesting thought. However, I have a lot of RAM free (>20 MB) and I've used DocsToGo quite a bit since the hard reset. I'll watch out for that, though, and see if I notice a correlation.

Maybe I just had a big movie file or something that I couldn't find, if this is not happening to others.
    also the call log can get pretty hefty if you don't purge often. pictures also seem to make a big diffrence. uninstalling programs through the main launcher is another one because it leaves orphan files behind.
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    hummmm...just checked my one-month-old 650 and "Phone" has free space of "9.4M of 23.7M"! with lots of apps I don't recognize, eg: "NetFrontLib 1266k". Anyone know what that is? (My calendar to date is only 275k). Thanks in advance.