Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    <rant>
    A Little background, I've had a PalmOS PDA since the Palm IIIxe... Then had the Sony S300 The first PalmOS pda with a memory card slot. Then the Sony Clie N710C, the first 320x320 high resolution, mp3 playing "Multimedia" PalmOS Pda, then the N760C (64k color), then the T610C (thinner), then the NR10 (320x480, flipping/rotating screen, built in keyboard, camera).

This was about 2 years ago, then I got rid of the NR10 and got me a IPAQ 1945 PocketPC. It was cool, I had a Sony Ericsson Z600 phone too, so I used the bluetooth to go on the net and what not. Anyways the Z600 was falling apart, needed a new cell phone... why not get a Treo 650, looks cool, all in one, and heard lotsa raves about it.

Had it for 2 weeks now.. Most unstable PalmOS PDA Ever. (Cingular locked, using 1.23 firmware).

Just today, got a text message, selected "go to msg" and the thing gives me the "white screen of death"... reset, and all my preferences are gone, none of my serial numbers are registered.... restore form backup, everything fine... (was the first time this happened, last week did the same thing)

Stille this morning.... was browsing ebay on the Treo using Blazer, was trying to sign in and waiting for the page to fully load, scroll down.. bam "white screen of death" again. Preferences gone again. restore again.

Sigh...

Another problem.. I call my bank to use the automated service, typing my damn pin/account number, the phone is slow! 1 tone lasts 1 second, then when i push #, it's like it's stuck it just goes for ever, i have to hangup, call again and use the on screen dial pad grrrr..

Really people, what is wrong with this PDA. Personally, I've never liked Palm inr, palmos, palmone, palmXXX or whatever they want to call themselves sheesh.

This new firmware update for the Cingular version better come soon because I'm tired of constant resets all the time.
    </rant>
    I sympathize with your plight. However, It took me two Treo's to get one that actually worked so I would suggest requesting an exchange. Cingular and Palm are not great wit customer service and I'm no fan of either company. But this is the only thing out there that does all that it does.

Don't hold your breath for the firmware update. Its been promisednow for well, it seems at least a couple of months. . .
    The Palm OS (Garnet) on the Treo 650 is inherently unstable. it's just the way it is.

Owners either put up with it, or go to a different device.

This is why it would be nice to see Magneto on the Treo.
    No problems here so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by nXt
    I've had a PalmOS PDA since the Palm IIIxe...
    My first PalmOS device was the Palm Pilot Professional - damn that was hot (at the time)! My Palm Pilot Professional was / is rock solid - to this day. My next Palm device was the Treo 300, followed by the 600 and the 650. The 300 (Sprint) was terribly unstable. The 600 was light years better. The 650 (Cingular GSM) was initially really bad, but once I took care of some key apps it has been rock solid. I don't think it's so much as 'bad units', but instead bad legacy apps & data. If you've been using PalmOS apps that long, you (like me) have tons of old / defunct settings, hacks, libraries, etc that you keep bringing forward. Do a clean install of only the apps that you run and I bet things work light years better for you!

Dunc
    The Kyocera 7135 smartphone was really unstable too. Compared to the rock solid (and resonsive) 600, the 650 has been a real dissapointment. I would go back to my 600.

Cingular and Palm need to get some firmware out SOON!!
    No problems with the Sprint version. Rock solid.
    For some, the 650 just isnt up to the task. However, you can 'help' yourself by reading these forums, doing a clean install, installing only 'tested' programs that have been proven to work and if you have hardware problems, then get another unit.

If none of that works than the 650 probably isnt for you. (Its not for me so don't feel bad.)
    I tried three unlocked 650's via advanced replacement. All three are horrible! I decided to switch to Verizon and try their device (650). What a great move that was! The Verizon unit is extremely stable! It runs Intellisync like a charm, plus a number of must have apps. I now need to fight P1 for a refund of my third 650 after buying the Verizon unit and paying a cancellation fee to T-Mobile. For those of you with the constant resets, white screen of death, frozen units; please know that it isn't you. It is most definately the Cingular or unbranded unit you are about tho throw against the wall. Every one of my co-workers (about 50) are ready to return and either switch to Verizon or go back to two devices all because of Palm One's inability to correct a serious problem (Cingular / unlocked units). They must have worked out all the bugs with Verizon. Moral: Of you aren't traveling over-seas and need a 650, Verizon is the most stable in my opinion. Three unlocked 650s with no resolution in sight.
    I've had a 650 for several months now. I am presently in a blissful state of no resets. It took me a long time to get here.

As a power user, much like my desktop, I would install and install, andy usually within abou 90 days, I would format my system and start fresh. I was doing the same thing with my 650.

This last time, I've only installed a couple of really necessary apps per day and gave it a day to see how it worked. If all was well,I'd install a couple more.

I would give this a shot because I went from getting random resets while the phone was in my pocket to where it never reboots.

95 percent of reboot problems are related to bad apps, not bad phones.
    My only problem so far has been zQuake which isn't designed to run on the 650 anyway, and I have yet to get Beyond Contacts to install properly, but that could be a windows install erorr.

My 650 has been flawless and rock solid so far.

My 600 would get an occasional reboot once in a while, but no data was lost and its back up and running quite quick.

If you want a completely stable phone I guess make sure all your software is up to date and do a clean install every 2 months or so to remove rubbish.

If that doesn't fix it you probably have faulty hardware.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I've had my 650 for a couple months now and, after getting rid of my Gem SIM card and switching from VersaMail to Snapper, it's quite stable. I probably reset less than once per week. I wish it were louder, but I'm on email many many times each day and have roamed all over the US and parts of Europe with no stability problems. I guess the one thing that crops up more than anything else is the "insufficient memory" message from apps no releasing memory. This is about the only time I have to reset. 1.05 firmware.
    Mine resets a couple of times a month, at most. And that's invariably in Blazer, usually on the same web site. I had to manually reset my 650 last week because it kept turning itself on. I can't remember the last time I had to manaully reset it.

I consider that very stable.

I can't help buy wonder, if you never liked the Palm OS, why you bought a Treo. There are lots of people who love PPC devices (and lots of people who hate them). Look in the "other handhelds" forum here.

As for your specific problems, what software do you have loaded, and how did you load it? Did you by any chance do a hotsync against your old NR10 palm desktop backup? If so, that probably explains 99% of your problems.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by nXt
    <rant>

Personally, I've never liked Palm inr, palmos, palmone, palmXXX or whatever they want to call themselves sheesh.

</rant>

You never liked Palm.
    You don't like the Treo.

Do you like Brussel Sprouts, Lima Beans, and Chocolate Covered Ants? If not, you should start eating them anyway. Just so that you can complain.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    And Cingular. Most unsatisfactory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reboots consistently.
    Screen turns on randomly.
    Updating contacts and duplicates is a terrible issue.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    After putting up with the Kyo 7135 for 2 years a couple of resets once in a while is nothing for me

One thing I have learned is that everybody has a different experience based on what apps they load, how they use the device, and there luck.

I do hope that the problems with your treo are resolved soon. It is really a great device.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    So far, I have no problems.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    It's no more unstable than Windows Me.
    I don't think I would use a beta firmware and complain of stability problems. . . No offense, but have you tried the official released software? It works fine for me.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by petemeister
    I tried three unlocked 650's via advanced replacement. All three are horrible!
    Quote Originally Posted by petemeister
    Every one of my co-workers (about 50) are ready to return and either switch to Verizon or go back to two devices all because of Palm One's inability to correct a serious problem (Cingular / unlocked units). They must have worked out all the bugs with Verizon. Moral: Of you aren't traveling over-seas and need a 650, Verizon is the most stable in my opinion. Three unlocked 650s with no resolution in sight.
    So.. No mention of what this "serious problem" is? Some incompatability with IntelliSync? My Cingular (with original Firmware) 650 works great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast