1.    #1  
    this is probably a dumb question, but how do i convert mp4s to mp3s so i can use them on my treo as ringers? almost all of my fav songs i got thru itunes and they come as protected files, i guess. i just got ptunes and ringo pro this week so i'm still playing with it.
    Aeroplayer perhaps?

Otherwise, you'll have to burn them as redbook audio to CD, and then rip an mp3 off of the CD
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    You can burn them to CD and then re-rip them, or you can run iOpener (do a google search) which converts the iTunes DRM'd files to non-encrypted standard MP4 files. From there, most any good converter can convert them to MP3.

And before anyone gets up on their high horse and slams me for the suggestion, I firmly believe that anyone who pays a fair price for a tune ought to be able to listen to it anywhere they want, and not HAVE to buy an iPod from Apple. I have done this conversion many times. I will contend that it conforms to fair use doctrine.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you rlwhitt. I do have an IPod too, but I want mp3 ringers on my phone. I absolutely believe that after what I paid for the IPod and the songs, and since ITunes allows multiple copies of a song to be made, that I can use them on any device I own.

Bytheby, I tried iOpener, but I think my iTunes was too new of a version. I ended up burning the songs and ripping them. Thanks!
    Last edited by Complexity08; 06/05/2005 at 12:10 PM. Reason: adding more info