1.    #1  
    Yesterday (Saturday), I put some third party software on. I installed a program or two at a time, and checked it after each install. Then I wanted to find a way to launch programs with keyboard shortcuts, so I looked around and saw that Switcheroo could work. But Switcheroo requires hack sofware running in the background. So I installed EvPlugbase. Treo was still functioning. Then I installed Switcheroo. (I also installed, either at the same time or right before, a program called Static Chicken, which is just a chicken that gives quotes) I went into EvPlugbase on the Treo to try to activate Switcheroo, and it said I should restart the palm. So I clicked okay. And I guess it started to restart, and it crashed, completely.
    What I have is a screen for static chicken (I don't know why, i wasn't using it at the time). in the front of the screen is a dialogue box that says 'Static was unable to find any quotes- he completely refuses to do anything until you install some.' That would be a logical message if i was trying to use static chicken. There is an ok button. But it doesn't work. The treo is completely frozen. I tried a soft reset, a warm reset, a hard reset, and a battery disconnect. Nothing! The screen is on, the keyboard is backlit, and the dialogue box is sitting over the chicken.
    I e-mailed Palm and they told me to do a reset while the Treo is plugged into a power source. Tried it. Nothing
    So eventually (soon?) the battery is going to give out. What will happen then??? I figure either the reset button is literally broken, or I have messed up the software so bad that it is a paperweight.
    HELP!!! PLEASE!
  2.    #2  
    The battery finally ran out, and the treo shut down. I was able to restart it without a problem. Of course, my data and third party programs are gone.
    It sees the reset button is actually broken. I think a soft reset might have fixed the problem otherwise.
    Has anyone heard of a broken reset button that does not respond? If the treo is as unreliable as i hear, this will be a major problem for me.
    If the Treo is new, return it for a new one. Many of us have gone through multiple units before getting the perfect one. It took me three tries, but I'm now very happy with mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    If the Treo is new, return it for a new one. Many of us have gone through multiple units before getting the perfect one. It took me three tries, but I'm now very happy with mine.
    MonkeyMistress, yours were returned for cosmetic reasons!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hush MonkeyMan! I think you are privy to too much information, I better start holding back...
    Quote Originally Posted by tracysanz
    a program called Static Chicken, which is just a chicken that gives quotes
    Sounds to me like your chicken tried to cross the road and got stuck in traffic. Get rid of the chicken.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Hush MonkeyMan! I think you are privy to too much information, I better start holding back...
    I'm privy to everything about you...all access

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Not yet...but, six weeks and counting ;-)
    You can barely hold out for six hours

Yeah, like you can wait...
    tracy if after powering on the device all your data was gone then a hard reset was simulated and the reset button then should have regained its function clearing any conflicts that may have existed with the 3rd party apps you mentioned. So if the reset button is still not working then yes return the unit for a new one. It sounds like it was a regular freeze that cold have been relieved with a reset had the reset button been working. Had you used the reset button before on that device? I would assume it was a fluke unless of course it happens again with a new device. Please keep us posted to the developements.

And insertion what is all this 6 weeks stuff, I want the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    And insertion what is all this 6 weeks stuff, I want the dirt
    Six weeks until fornication commences. (Other things going on at the moment, else we'd have been in Vegas saying our "I Do's already...)

If this isn't an off topic, thread jacking post, nothing is. But who cares

Actually, it's less than six weeks...

And, I will never say our "I Do's" in Vegas...too tacky. You know better, pick a nicer place...
    Ohhh...so you have accepted my proposal???

You knew I would...
    Could you have taken any more time?? How long have I been waiting??

Oh yeah, return your Treo, it may be defective...

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Six weeks until fornication commences.
    Ohhh to be young and in lust
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    Ohhh to be young and in lust
    James...
    Insertion is far from young...