1.    #1  
    So i just ordered my first ever SD card on yesterday. I went with the 512MB from right here at TreoCentral's store. I figured this would be plenty sufficient for myself because i'm not one that downloads a lot of programs. (well i guess part of that has to do with me not knowing of some excellent programs that are out there) As of now i only have DA and TreoAlarm.

My question/concern has to do with when i get my card how will it work as far as downloading to the card vs. the phone? And is it possible to save my pics to the card? All help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    The SD card will be great to store pictures and songs for your RealPlayer or a purchased Pocket Tunes software.

I format my new SD cards with the command that is under the Card Icon. I do not know why I do this -- I guess just to make sure the Treo and the card become "friends."

The pics and video software on the Treo 650 has a menu item that will allow you to copy these from the phone to the SD card. Do this! This procedure will automatically save the pictures to the correct directory on the card. Pics and video fill up your internal memory fast! After copying to the card -- you will then have to delete the pics from the phone to regain the used memory. If you have a card reader -- DO NOT copy files directly to the root directory of the SD card. This will fill it up too fast -- copy files to the appropriate directory. The root directory can only hold so many files (512?) and then it is "full" -- not allowing you to copy anything more there -- giving the impression that the card is full -- when it is not.

/DCIM/ = pictures
    /AUDIO/ = songs (.ogg and .mp3 files)
    /PALM/Launcher/ .prc and .pdb files

If you use Hot Sync manger (the normal way to load stuff onto your Treo and or SD card) -- the item will automatically be put in the correct directory.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/07/2005 at 09:37 PM.
    When you're in the photo album, if you click the card icon (upper right) and leave it, any future picture will be saved to the card automatically. (And vice-versa)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Learn somthin' new everyday!!
    It will also sync with your PC from the card. If you open Palm Desktop, and click Media, you'll see them...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    When you're in the photo album, if you click the card icon (upper right) and leave it, any future picture will be saved to the card automatically. (And vice-versa)
    you will have to select the card icon after resets because it goes back to ram also..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  7.    #7  
    PerryHolden... Okay yall have to bare with me i feel like i've been sitting in a Calculus lecture for an hour! Anyway so when you said DO NOT copy files directly to the root directory of the SD card b/c it would fill it up too fast, and that i should copy files to the appropriate directory, how do i achieve this? Are you saying that i should create a folder for different files, such as pics/music, etc...? I'm assuming you meant that i just can't click on a pic, and go hit menu and then select copy to card right? b/c that would fill it up too quickly. Please let me know if i'm misunderstanding you.

So do most of everyone here, if you install apps or games, etc.. do you put them on the card or the phone? Thanks again for everyone's input. I thought you all had forgotten about me since i haven't seen any replies. :-)
    Most of those instructions were for if you were using a card reader to directly transfer files and photos from your PC to the SD card. (By passing Quick Install and a Hot Sync)

If you are using Quick Install -- files and photos will automatically be put into the right directories on the card.

Open your Palm Install Tool.
    Select your user id if there are more than one listed.
    Browse to the PC located file or photo you want to load.
    Select it.
    Select Handheld or SD Card as destination in the Install Tool.
    Get the okay screen.
    Hot Sync.

(A photo you take with the phone camera will probably go to the phone's memory, taking up valuable memory. This is when you have to use the Pics & Video software in the phone to move the photo to the card.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/08/2005 at 08:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    When you're in the photo album (PICS & VIDEOS), if you click the card icon (upper right) and leave it, any future picture will be saved to the card automatically. (And vice-versa)

If you do this -- then photos you take will automatically be saved to the card.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/08/2005 at 01:11 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks a lot guys
    This is a great thread...I think it's so important that it should be re-purposed as a sticky!
  12.    #12  
    Okay i've got a problem now... So i went to a particular album in my pics and hit the menu button to copy to card and it showed it was copying. However, when it finished and under applications i clicked on "card", nothing came up! So what if anything am i doing wrong???

P.S. It feels good to know i started something great! :-)
    Within the Pics & Video program there are two little icons in the upper right corner. One looks like a SD card and one looks like a PDA. Tap on the card icon. Do you have a view of the copied picture now? These are the pictures that are stored on your card.

Did this work?

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/08/2005 at 07:10 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Once again gtwo.. you come thru! Thanks a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man
    Once again gtwo.. you come thru! Thanks a lot.
    Glad WE got you going!! As Insertion said above -- if you leave that little card icon in Pics & Videos as the one "tapped" (vs. the PDA icon) -- then your phone will automatically store photos and videos you take, to the SD card, rather than clogging internal memory with them.

Enjoy your new toy!

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwo
    The SD card will be great to store pictures and songs for your RealPlayer or a purchased Pocket Tunes software.

I format my new SD cards with the command that is under the Card Icon. I do not know why I do this -- I guess just to make sure the Treo and the card become "friends."

The pics and video software on the Treo 650 has a menu item that will allow you to copy these from the phone to the SD card. Do this! This procedure will automatically save the pictures to the correct directory on the card. Pics and video fill up your internal memory fast! After copying to the card -- you will then have to delete the pics from the phone to regain the used memory. If you have a card reader -- DO NOT copy files directly to the root directory of the SD card. This will fill it up too fast -- copy files to the appropriate directory. The root directory can only hold so many files (512?) and then it is "full" -- not allowing you to copy anything more there -- giving the impression that the card is full -- when it is not.

/DCIM/ = pictures
    /AUDIO/ = songs (.ogg and .mp3 files)
    /PALM/Launcher/ .prc and .pdb files

If you use Hot Sync manger (the normal way to load stuff onto your Treo and or SD card) -- the item will automatically be put in the correct directory.

Cheers, Perry
    I've searched the archives here and found this info. I think I'm overlooking something though. How do you create the folders on the SD card? Or are they created automatically when you first copy over something (audio or pics or apps)?

Thanks for your help.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    they should already be there once the card is formatted.. with the exception of the audio folder which you wont have unless you have ptunes. the rnaudio folder you will have as that is the folder designated for real player.. hope this helps.. basically the programs make their own folders.. you can make them too if you use a card reader..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    On my Sprint Treo 600 I have used BackupMan and it works flawlessly. I just purchased an Scan Disk thumb card reader so that I can backup my SD card to my laptop. When I go to My Computer and click on the e drive the folders are there but when I try to look into the folders it indicates that ”e:\PALM is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect”
    What am I doing wrong?

Tks in advance
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover