1.    #1  
    Hello all…

I'm trying to do some research on the Treo 650 to see if it will fit our corporate needs. I've read as much as I can on this site but some of my questions are still unanswered. I hope some of you can help.

1) (most important) EMAIL: We use IMAP here and some users have as much as 200-500 messages in their inbox, taking up as much as 500 mb of space. If I buy the 1 GB SD card, will the users be able to download all their messages? Do you download your attachments to the SD card or your core memory?
    a) Is there an attachment size limit?
    b) How many contacts can you have?

2) We also use a web email interface… can we use this instead of IMAP?

3) You can create and edit MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint? Is there a size limit on these files?

4) Can I call from Europe with the Treo 650 straight out of the box or do I have to buy some sort of an adaptor?

5) Web browsing - can you go to any website?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rob
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brownrob
    Hello all…
    1) (most important) EMAIL: We use IMAP here and some users have as much as 200-500 messages in their inbox, taking up as much as 500 mb of space. If I buy the 1 GB SD card, will the users be able to download all their messages? Do you download your attachments to the SD card or your core memory?
    a) Is there an attachment size limit?
    b) How many contacts can you have?
    A lot of this depends on the email client you're using. My favorite email client is Chatter, but I know that right now Chatter does not allow you to store mail on the SD card. (Attachments, however, can be stored to the card). Some mail clients allow you to store everything on the card.

Also, note that most mail clients for the Treo won't automatically download attachments. When you get an email with an attachment that you want to view, then you can simply download it then. That way you'll be able to save space by only downloading the attachments you need.

Finally, you may want to look into Goodlink. I don't know a lot about it, but I do know that it's a corporate email solution that's gotten a lot of good reviews.

2) We also use a web email interface… can we use this instead of IMAP?
    Most likely yes, but you probably won't want to. IMHO the web browser on the Treo is pretty good and works with most web sites, but it can take a little while to load web pages and because of the small screen they can be hard to work with. I've used several web email interfaces on my Treo occasionally for various reasons and it works to read a quick email or something like that, but it is not something I'd want to use as my sole means of email access... especially if email is your number one concern.

3) You can create and edit MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint? Is there a size limit on these files?
    I don't know. Dataviz Documents To Go is the software that allows you to create and edit this type of file on the Palm and you can check out their web site at www.dataviz.com for more info.

Also, this may or may not be a concern to you, but as of right now there is no way to view a native PDF file on the Treo... meaning that if someone emails you a PDF file you'll have to wait until you have access to a real computer to view it. You can, however, select certain PDF files on your computer and transfer them to your Treo in such a way that you can view them with Adobe Reader for them Palm, but they have to be processed on a PC first.

4) Can I call from Europe with the Treo 650 straight out of the box or do I have to buy some sort of an adaptor?
    As long as you have a GSM Treo (meaning T-Mobile or Cingular in the US) then you'll be able to do that. Be aware that calling from Europe is reasonably expensive. I use Cingular and it's on the order of $1.29/minute to make or receive a call in Europe. I believe T-Mobile is slightly less, but still expensive. There is also no unlimited data plan available from any US carrier that includes Europe, so to get email while you're traveling you'll need to pay per kb.

Depending on how you use your phones, if you get an unlocked GSM model (instead of the slightly cheaper phones that are locked to a particular carrier) you'll be able to get a European SIM card to put in your Treo while you travel. This will allow you to make and receive calls at a much less expensive rate, however, your phone will have a new European number whenever the European SIM is in the phone.

5) Web browsing - can you go to any website?
    You can go to most web sites. Like I said the web browser on the is pretty good and there are no built in restrictions on what web sites you can access, there are some web sites that simply refuse to work with the Treo. Most of these are the more complicated ones that use a lot of plugins and such. I do a fair amount of web browsing on my Treo and there are very few pages that I simply cannot access. Some are a bit of a pain or don't render quite right because of the small screen, but I can almost always do what I need to.

I'd suggest purchasing one Treo and trying to play with it to see if it will work for you. I know that Cingular has a 30 day return policy, so you can get one from Cingular and try it and if you don't like it you can return it within 30 days and just pay for the airtime that you used.

Good luck,
    Brett
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for your reply!

The PDF is a concern because we do some work with it.. so there is no way to read a PDF unless you go through your PC first?? Wow.. that sucks!

I'm also looking at the Cingular Siemens SX66 (I think every carrier has something simular).. What I like about this phone is that it has MS operating system and MS office on it.. it's a pocket PC... more memory than the Treo... but I don't like the keyboard as much.. anyone have any opinions on this PDA phone?

Any opinions on which one would better suit my needs?

Thanks!
    Does the SX66 let you do all the things you mention about?

Go to the software forum and you can find a solution for native pdf viewer.

If you are a true power user at one point you know a ultra slim laptop is the only solution. The Toshiba u110 for example is only 2 pounds.
    Last edited by whatever7; 06/06/2005 at 09:08 AM.