Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I saw a post at Engadget that a company is developing 4 GB SD cards but they are SD v1.1 compatable. So does the 650 support SD v1.1?
    Doubtful since one can assume part of V1.1 is support for fat32, which is required to read a 4GB card.

We DO know for sure that all current Palm devices, including the T650, are limited to fat16 and thus a 2GB card.

Too bad Palm does not do a better job of keeping up with new specs (similarly, look at their Blueooth support). I'd expect to keep my brand new T650 for 2 years. I'm sure by that time 2GB will be at todays 1GB price's (or lower) and 4GB would start to be feasably priced for some. But it won't matter unless P1 offers a firmware update and I'd bet that's about as likely as pigs taking wing.

Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    I saw a post at Engadget that a company is developing 4 GB SD cards but they are SD v1.1 compatable. So does the 650 support SD v1.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlwhitt
    Doubtful since one can assume part of V1.1 is support for fat32, which is required to read a 4GB card.

We DO know for sure that all current Palm devices, including the T650, are limited to fat16 and thus a 2GB card.

Too bad Palm does not do a better job of keeping up with new specs (similarly, look at their Blueooth support). I'd expect to keep my brand new T650 for 2 years. I'm sure by that time 2GB will be at todays 1GB price's (or lower) and 4GB would start to be feasably priced for some. But it won't matter unless P1 offers a firmware update and I'd bet that's about as likely as pigs taking wing.
    We can only wish Palm would wake up.
    Actually, the LifeDrive device uses FAT32 for the filesystem on the internal hard drive. I don't know if this driver is supported for SD cards yet, but the technology exists to support larger >2GB volumes.
    True. But the point here is that for an existing device like the Treo to support fat32 on an SD card, Palm<whatever> would have to supply updated drivers to Sprint, VZ, et al who would have to issue ROM updates for their respective phones. I think it's extraordinarily unlikely. It's usually hard enough to get them to do updates to fix heinous bugs, much less add a new feature that they could use to sell a new device - but I hope this time I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bcombee
    Actually, the LifeDrive device uses FAT32 for the filesystem on the internal hard drive. I don't know if this driver is supported for SD cards yet, but the technology exists to support larger >2GB volumes.