Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    cover to be able to do a reset as I have read so many joke about doing? And if so, does doing so in any way affect the warranty? I am on my second skin case and they just don't stand up to being taken off frequently (1 x a week?) to have to reset the darn thing. (My biggest reset offenders: voice dial and versa mail.)

I keep seeing the posts joking about this but wondered if anyone actually has done it, and has a picture of it.
    it'd be really hard to pin point the exact spot to punch the hole in.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSienna
    Here was my approach for getting the hole location perfectly accurate. First, I love the tiny hole approach by newtreouser. But I wanted to be able to use the standard stylus.

Tools Needed:
    Drill press
    Form material (I used styrofoam)
    Assorted clamps
    9/64" bit (exact size for standard stylus)

Step 1: Cut a form to size for the Treo. (Rough cut is OK. The goal is to keep the location fixed between Steps 2 and 5.)

Step 2: Remove the rear cover. Set the Treo into the form and put the form/Treo on the drill platform. (Put a slip of paper under everything to protect the face of the Treo.)

Step 3: With the drill off, lower the bit down to the reset button. Now clamp down the form in place. Double check everthing, especially the drill alignment to the reset button.

Step 4: Put the rear cover on. (And remove the stylus. It runs too close to where the hole will be drilled.)

Step 5: Drill the hole. (Easy does it. Go a little, then check the depth. You want to barely penetrate through.)

This took me about 20 minutes grand total. The hole is perfectly aligned. And it is a perfect circle when viewed from directly above.

http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/1.JPG
    http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/2.JPG
    http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/3.JPG
    http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/4.JPG
    http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/5.JPG
    check this out
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    What the heck do you need it for? The hole I mean...!
    Suppose you have to have a reset problem to do such a thing....
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    If there's a very small "1" or "2" on the inside of your battery cover, see if it lines up with the reset hole. Mine was a perfect match. Then, just drill through the number. There's a thread on it somewhere...

I'm sure it does void the warranty...doesn't it?
    I did it with an exacto-knife and a drill. I eye-balled it and got it almost spot-on. It's easy. If popping a hole in the plastic cover voids the warranty they can KMFA.
    i opted to drill a hole in the back of my rhino skin case and simply removed my battery cover before putting the treo inside the case.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
  8. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Sortof related, but I found out that you can do a hard reset with the SoftReset app.

Is it possible that I hard resetboften enough that removing the cover is too much of a hassle?
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I did it with an exacto-knife and a drill. I eye-balled it and got it almost spot-on. It's easy. If popping a hole in the plastic cover voids the warranty they can KMFA.
    well of course it voids the warranty LOL

but yeah this is one thing i miss from my treo 600, an external reset button...it would have been ever better if they put the reset hole on the oppostie side of the side keys. PPCs got it lucky, a lot of them i have seen the reset hole is at the bottm down by the port(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    well of course it voids the warranty LOL

but yeah this is one thing i miss from my treo 600, an external reset button...it would have been ever better if they put the reset hole on the oppostie side of the side keys. PPCs got it lucky, a lot of them i have seen the reset hole is at the bottm down by the port(s)
    I"m on the Sprint swap-out deal. When they send me the new phone I'll just swap back covers when I RMA the old one. I doubt it'll be an issue. A hole in the back cover would have absolutely nothing to do with a cracked LCD or a nuked mainboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I"m on the Sprint swap-out deal. When they send me the new phone I'll just swap back covers when I RMA the old one. I doubt it'll be an issue. A hole in the back cover would have absolutely nothing to do with a cracked LCD or a nuked mainboard.
    ahh touche, never though about that
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    ahh touche, never though about that
    NP. It's still cold up there in Canada, people tend to think slower

I'm kidding of course
    [QUOTE=webmistress]I am on my second skin case and they just don't stand up to being taken off frequently (1 x a week?) to have to reset the darn thing. (My biggest reset offenders: voice dial and versa mail.)QUOTE]

If you only have to do a soft reset, then you can use software like zLauncher to simply soft reset the device.
    Those reset apps won't work if your Treo freezes or hangs...
    YAHM has a soft reset option from the drop down menu. N need for a hole and I use YAHm for my fonts and NoDot
  16. Pft
    water thru the hole to the battery not a good mix ..zzzzthhhhp..short out
    A LOT of apps have a reset option in them. Again, they will not work with a frozen or hanging screen, one of the basic functions of Versamail. You still need to remove the battery cover in these situations...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pft
    water thru the hole to the battery not a good mix ..zzzzthhhhp..short out
    And submerging your treo into a toilet isn't either, nor is pissing on it, beating it with a hammer, drop kicking it, or using it as high velocity projectile. All these are things I'm not doing. Perhaps you expose your Treo to enough water to cause the battery to short out (despite the fact that these are specially designed batterys that should not short) but I'll take the hole in my case for the reason I put it there, to reboot the phone without having to take the Krussell case off.
    Does the freeware app "Crash!" help at all? It is supposed to auto-perform a soft reset when the OS hangs.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Crash works most of the time for me...but there are times when the only way to soft reset is to do it manually (poke the reset hole).
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast