Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    And submerging your treo into a toilet isn't either, nor is pissing on it, beating it with a hammer, drop kicking it, or using it as high velocity projectile. All these are things I'm not doing. Perhaps you expose your Treo to enough water to cause the battery to short out (despite the fact that these are specially designed batterys that should not short) but I'll take the hole in my case for the reason I put it there, to reboot the phone without having to take the Krussell case off.
    How about thining the small end of a wine cork down to fit the hole so that it serves 2 purposes: 1) to keep water from entering and 2) act as a floatation device should the unfortunate happens.
    I drilled a reset hole through the battery cover 2-3 months ago and a small pin hole thru the skin cover. The battery cover hole looks a bit like an angry beaver made it, but since it is on the back and the skin case covers it,...who really cares. I have to manually soft reset about 4-5 times per week, but no longer is it a chore( I am running 100+ apps with 1.08 but,..versamail with gmail) therfore resets are to be expected. Hopefully the next patch will reduce the reset occurences.
    man you need a hobby.....lol.....oh wait thats what this is....duh
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    there's absolutely no way I'm taking any drill to my $500 pda cell phone.

nope, not this boy.
  5.    #25  
    Good answers all. I think risking the possibility of having to swap out the phone and having a hole in the battery cover is better than spending 10-30$ every few months on new skin cases. I just don't care for the lose feel that they get after you have to stretch them off to do a hard reset every week. I bought the second one on ebay for only 12$, but still. The boxwave skin was stretched out within 4 or 5 weeks and wasn't a snug fit anymore. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziegn
    there's absolutely no way I'm taking any drill to my $500 pda cell phone.

nope, not this boy.
    ok
    OMG that is a HUGE friggin hole.
    webmistress...why are you having so many soft/hard reset problems? I have a Flexskin case and have only had to remove it 3 times in 3 months. I have the occasional random reset, but I've only frozen up in Versamail...so I don't use it. I would try to find out where the resets are coming from so you won't have to deal with any of this.

BTW...my skin slides on and off easily and is as tight as when I received it, even with having to remove it a few times. It's a Boxwave...maybe a different quality?
    I have yet to reset my 650 after two weeks of heavy use. It's the Verizon iteration, and I use their Wireless Sync email program. Works like a charm, gives me my email as it comes in, and has been nothing but utterly stable. No other piece of software has caused so much as a hiccup in the stability of this device. It's rock solid.
    If any of the Treo parts manufacturers could see this post. They should be making alternate back lids PERIOD. it is incredibly simple to create a back lid that #1 offers a more water tight seal, #2 offers a dimple that is attached to a plastic/rubber(?) plug or 'finger' that would push the reset button when depressed by the stylus, thus allowing you to not have to bother drilling through a 'warentee' part as well as keep foreign matter out, like dust, water, etc.

In fact a smart designer would create a battery booster pack that would allow one access to the hole via the method described above as well as create a much larger (and greater capacity) battery for the device. taking up all avialable space back there without creating a larger profile. Most cell phones expose the back of the battery anyhow as part of the outer casing.

.... Come to think of it, in the mall the other week I saw a shop that created custom cases for cell phones... I would be willing to bet money they can create a "custom back lid" with the hole for you. Heck while you are at it you could be funny and have them add a pattern/picture to it as well....

Can you imagine someone with bad humor that created a "**** picture" for the lid! haha! You could moon people you dont like just by showing them the back of your phone! lol

anyhow, on a more serious note. There should be cell "mod shops" that can create you a lid with a hole. might cost ya $50 but it will never void a warentee and you can add a branding to the phone in case it gets lost. like contact # or address.

-SB
    T650 - it will terminate itself!!
    I must be too easy going. Even If I had to do a soft reset once a day. . . . taking the battery cover off to push the button is not a biggy for me . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    When your "smartphone" locks up in stop and go traffic, and you need to navigate your stickshift car safely as you carefully pry off the back cover of your Treo to reach that damn hidden hole to stick the stylus in.. and then reassemble the whole mess... you will THEN understand why this design was a very bad idea. If it even qualifies as an "idea" and not just blatent stupidity.

There was NO reason to 1) hide the reset hole inside a b1tch-to-pull-off cover, and 2) make the cover a b1tch-to-pull-off. The Tungsten series had a proper reset hole that served as a model. The Ipaq line had an equally decent location (down as the serial port). True, you could blame the "twist-off-the-stylus" reset hole on Handspring, but after taking control it took PalmOne to make it worse by hiding it behind such a goofily designed battery cover. It was easier to leave a paperclip in your car and pockets with the 600 rather than remove that damn battery cover on the 650 every time it freezes up.

I think a prior poster said it right - there's a market for an aftermarket battery cover replacement that has a sealed reset hole. At $15 bucks apiece, they'd sell a bunch of 'em.

Why does PalmOne seem to always miss the most obvious
    problems with their designs, and leave it up to the users to notice them and the aftermarket to fix them?
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    OMG...I underdstand the frustration...but I can't believe someone would "frankenstein" their phone like that. That hole is big enough for people to live in!
    You need some work !!!!!
    Drilling a hole in my favourite device just for easy reset option .
    Ooooooooooo that hurts.
    Give me a break. ( Gets angry and frustrated)
    Stop usin the skin case or else make a cut out in the battery part .
    You lazy ____________.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    OMG...I underdstand the frustration...but I can't believe someone would "frankenstein" their phone like that. That hole is big enough for people to live in!
    LMAO!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Alternate solution .

Stop using the battery cover and and fix your battery in place with an adhesive tape .
    Forget the stylus ,you can reset the device with your head now. It's wide open.
  17. cng
    I'll pay someone to ship me a drilled battery cover.
    How about you ship me yours and I'll drill it for you and ship it back?

How much is that actually worth to you?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    When your "smartphone" locks up in stop and go traffic, and you need to navigate your stickshift car safely as you carefully pry off the back cover of your Treo to reach that damn hidden hole to stick the stylus in.. and then reassemble the whole mess... you will THEN understand why this design was a very bad idea. If it even qualifies as an "idea" and not just blatent stupidity.
    I agree 100 percent. Having to remove the back cover to reset the Treo 650 can be difficult to do when in a car or when you're holding an ice cream cone in one hand. I'd also pay for a cover with reset hole.
    With cover off, place a piece of tape, across the battery compartment so the edge crosses the center of the reset hole, place another one from top to bottom so the edge cross the center of the reset hole.

Lightly mark, with a small soft pencil, along the edge of the tape on the Treo case. Pull up one end of each piece of tape, replace the battery cover, and lay the tape back down on the Treo, taking care to line it up with the pencil lines. Where the two tape edges cross is the center of the reset pin.

Make a mark there, remove the cover, and drill a small hole where your mark is. Instead of the stylus, you can drill a much smaller hole and use a paper clip or the removable tip of an old stylus.

BTW - you're on you own if you do this - I take no responsibility for the results.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12