Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After many months of flawless BT synchronization with three different computers, one day it just stopped working. There were no new installs on the T650 that triggered this. The message I get now is:

"Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another appllication"

Does anyone know how to fix this ? When it works, it works great, but I can't speak about stability.
    Try a soft reset.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    Soft Reset was, of course, tried with no effect. The Bluetooth implementation sucks I think. Other BT devices I own have not shown this kind of flakiness.
    If you are using Windows, try deleting the Bluetooth Communications Port under Ports in the Device Manager (Hardware tab in the System control panel). Then, repeat the initial setup for bluetooth HotSync.
    Having the same problem with the same error message although mine is a fresh install of bluetooth on my PC. Tried andrew77's suggestion but no difference. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.
    I have the same problems at times also... Annoying.
    Sometimes I can get it working again by disabling and re-enabling 'My Bluetooth Serial Port'. Go to 'View my Bluetooth services' in 'My Bluetooth Places'.

It's definitely buggy. First, my USB sync stopped working. Now this.
    The problem seems to be problem with hotsync in the Treo, not any problem in the computer. By the way, I am running 1.23 firmware if that has anything to do with it. Everytime I try to sync I get the port in use by other application message. I can send files with no problem though and they should be going through the same port. Also, if I move out of bluetooth range so the computer cannot send any response about port usage I still get the same message. Tempted to do a hard reset but hope to try some other solutions first. Any ideas out there?
    im having the same problem too .. no one as a solution yet for this ? has anyone done a blututh sync with their treo ?
    Never a problem with my Cingular 1.04 syncing to Linux with some generic BT adaptor. Always connects immediately and syncs without issue. Only had one Hotsync failure, and I had simply just walked too far away from the BT dongle. I was out in the back yard and the neighbor asked me a question, so I came over in front of his house.. So I was about 50' away from the dongle going through all the stuff in my house, so that's an okay failure. Just had to cancel the hotsync and start it again.
    I'm having the same problem, my HotSync locks-up my phone forcing a soft reset. I do get a message that i have connected to the laptop successfully and I can send files via bluetooth. I am using 1.23. Am considering going back to 1.21 to see if problem goes away.
    Treo 750 / Cingular 3125
    For whatever it's worth I have a PC that has this problem occasionally. The problem for me isn't in the Treo, it's in the bluetooth software by Targus as I'm using a BT dongle that came with their BT mouse which I don't need - BT is built into my laptop. The software tends to forget that it should be offering a BT Comm port as well as the other services.

FYI the comm port still appears in Device Manager when this happens.

Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew77
    If you are using Windows, try deleting the Bluetooth Communications Port under Ports in the Device Manager (Hardware tab in the System control panel). Then, repeat the initial setup for bluetooth HotSync.
    I had the same problem with my old T2 and the IR port. Followed the advise above (deleted the IR port) and then it worked fine.

The only time I have a problem with syncing the Treo with my computer is if I forget to change the local port (cable COM3, bluetooth COM21 etc).
    I am using a bluetooth dongle from Belkin.
    Well, last night I re-flashed with 1.21 from 1.23 (after a hard reset) and still my treo freezes after connecting with the laptop. I can send files fine via bluetooth but no hotsync. the problem has to be with the Treo
    Treo 750 / Cingular 3125
    Ok, for anyone with Windows XP SP2 I think I can help although you might say forget it when you find out how much bother it is. You have to stop XP SP2 from installing its own drivers and install Widcomm drivers instead.

1. Go to: http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=179871
    2. Download the two files at the beginning of the forum (you will need these files after the initial installation) (you may need to register first to download them)
    3. Go to: http://www.mobidick.biz/downloads.shtml
    4. Download "Widcomm Driver Ver. 4.0.1.700"
    5. Go to C:\windows\inf\ and create a sub-directory there (I named it Bluetooth)
    6. Move all files starting with "bt" from the "inf" directory into the new directory (you may want them later for if you run into problems with this)
    7. Remove your Bluetooth dongle
    8. Install the Widcomm driver in the Mobidick download, use the install program
    9. When it says USB dongle not found hit "cancel" (do NOT plug in the dongle yet) and let Windows finish booting
    10. Press "Cntrl/Alt/Del" to bring up Task Manager and under the Processes tab click "BTTray.exe" and End Process
    11. Move BTStacker.exe and BTTray.exe from the GSMhosting forum downloads to: C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\ (overwriting the original files)
    12. Move BTNeighbourhood.dll from the GSMhosting forum downloads to: C:\Windows\System 32\ (overwriting the original file)
    13. Restart Windows in Safe Mode (F8)
    14. Move "wbtapi.dll" from the GSMhosting forum downloads to: C:\Windows\System 32\ (overwriting the original file)
    15. Plug in your dongle and restart Windows (be patient)
    16. After start up and a bit of a wait Windows will discover your dongle and start to install the drivers for the various services (tell it where to find them during installation at: "C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\"
    17. Open up control panel and click on Bluetooth Configuration, here you can pair your computer and Treo. (the appropriate port will automatically be assigned to Palm Desktop during installation)
    18. IMPORTANT: right click on the Hotsync icon in the system tray and make sure "Local USB and Local Serial" are checked (Local Serial might only show as Local)
    19. Go through the Bluetooth Hotsync set up process on your Treo and hopefully everything should work, did for me.

I think I have all the steps there clearly. Good luck to everyone else that tries it.
    Now that I actually have it working I found another interesting quirk. If my ADSL modem is power on while Windows boots I run into the original port in use problem. If I don't power on the ADSL modem I have no problem and if I power it on after Windows finishes booting I also have no problem. This might be of interest to those who had it working and suddenly lost it.
    I guess I wasn't waiting long enough, I would start my BT sync and if it didn't begin within 30 seconds or so I assumed it was frozen. I was wrong. Last night I just let the phone sit and after about 60-70 seconds the the sync started and worked perfectally. I guess patience is the key (like everything with the 650)
    Treo 750 / Cingular 3125
    what about thos of us who have integrated bluetooth in laptops?????????????????
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Ok, for anyone with Windows XP SP2 I think I can help although you might say forget it when you find out how much bother it is. You have to stop XP SP2 from installing its own drivers and install Widcomm drivers instead.

1. Go to: http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=179871
    2. Download the two files at the beginning of the forum (you will need these files after the initial installation) (you may need to register first to download them)
    3. Go to: http://www.mobidick.biz/downloads.shtml
    4. Download "Widcomm Driver Ver. 4.0.1.700"
    5. Go to C:\windows\inf\ and create a sub-directory there (I named it Bluetooth)
    6. Move all files starting with "bt" from the "inf" directory into the new directory (you may want them later for if you run into problems with this)
    7. Remove your Bluetooth dongle
    8. Install the Widcomm driver in the Mobidick download, use the install program
    9. When it says USB dongle not found hit "cancel" (do NOT plug in the dongle yet) and let Windows finish booting
    10. Press "Cntrl/Alt/Del" to bring up Task Manager and under the Processes tab click "BTTray.exe" and End Process
    11. Move BTStacker.exe and BTTray.exe from the GSMhosting forum downloads to: C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\ (overwriting the original files)
    12. Move BTNeighbourhood.dll from the GSMhosting forum downloads to: C:\Windows\System 32\ (overwriting the original file)
    13. Restart Windows in Safe Mode (F8)
    14. Move "wbtapi.dll" from the GSMhosting forum downloads to: C:\Windows\System 32\ (overwriting the original file)
    15. Plug in your dongle and restart Windows (be patient)
    16. After start up and a bit of a wait Windows will discover your dongle and start to install the drivers for the various services (tell it where to find them during installation at: "C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\"
    17. Open up control panel and click on Bluetooth Configuration, here you can pair your computer and Treo. (the appropriate port will automatically be assigned to Palm Desktop during installation)
    18. IMPORTANT: right click on the Hotsync icon in the system tray and make sure "Local USB and Local Serial" are checked (Local Serial might only show as Local)
    19. Go through the Bluetooth Hotsync set up process on your Treo and hopefully everything should work, did for me.

I think I have all the steps there clearly. Good luck to everyone else that tries it.
    Wow, this is way too complicated, somehow I got BT syncing working and I have no idea what I did ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim
    Wow, this is way too complicated, somehow I got BT syncing working and I have no idea what I did ;-)

Also look at post 16 above as it may be affecting some people who have BT hotsync coming and going.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast