Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have had this problem a few times. I added another port under config bluetooth then configed hotsinc to use this new port.
    I have what sounds like the same problem.

Treo 650
    TRENDnet TBW-101UB Bluetooth USB dongle (two of them, for my two
    desktop systems)
    Billionton Compactflash Bluetooth adapter (for notebook, works fine
    with Bluetooth mouse)

On all three machines the Treo and Bluetooth adapters can see each
    other including each others' device names. When trying to sync, I
    always get the error that the "port is already in use by another
    device" or somesuch nonsense. I use a Bluetooth-mapped serial port for
    this and have verified that Hotsync is pointed to the correct COM port.

I wonder if anyone has tried jgm's solution above with success? It looks not only complicated, but liable screw with XP's (already tenuous) stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwood_98
    I have what sounds like the same problem.

Treo 650
    TRENDnet TBW-101UB Bluetooth USB dongle (two of them, for my two
    desktop systems)
    Billionton Compactflash Bluetooth adapter (for notebook, works fine
    with Bluetooth mouse)

On all three machines the Treo and Bluetooth adapters can see each
    other including each others' device names. When trying to sync, I
    always get the error that the "port is already in use by another
    device" or somesuch nonsense. I use a Bluetooth-mapped serial port for
    this and have verified that Hotsync is pointed to the correct COM port.

I wonder if anyone has tried jgm's solution above with success? It looks not only complicated, but liable screw with XP's (already tenuous) stability.

Update:

If I require a secure connection, the Treo and my desktop actually ask me to create a password, and each device proceeds to accept it. So the devices are communicating via Bluetooth. Then I get the dreaded "Unable to intiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application."

Also, note that my bluetooth mouse for the notebook works fine.
    Update:

If I require a secure connection, the Treo and my desktop actually ask me to create a password, and each device proceeds to accept it. So the devices are communicating via Bluetooth. Then I get the dreaded "Unable to intiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application."

Update:

Another update:

Without changing a SINGLE THING, I attempted a new bluetooth hotsync and it worked without a problem. (Perhaps somewhat slower than USB, though).
    Attempt #2: failed (connection lost)
    Attempt #3: failed (connection lost)
    #4: failed (connection lost)
    #5: failed (port in use by another device)
    #6: failed (connection lost)
    #7: success
    #8: failed (connection lost)
    #9: failed (connection lost)

Inspires confidence.
    The method I posted works well for me. I originally had the port in use problem and tried everything possible to get around it. A few days of research all over the internet led me to the posted solution. I don't remember what day I actually posted that but it was about 2 days after I made the changes myself. Since that time I have hotsynced by bluetooth at least once a day and sometimes several times when trying out new apps, updating data, etc. It has worked flawlessly without a single missed sync.

Please keep in mind that this method seems to be specific for XP with SP2 and forces the new drivers to override the XP drivers which don't seem to like hotsync. Without going into a lenghty discussion of everything I learned in the process I believe for most people that this will be the only solution at least until Microsoft creates a new driver. As Palm is a competitor for their Windows Mobile platform I doubt they will be very dedicated to the task.

I am not sure how this will affect computers with built in bluetooth but I suspect that the ones with problems are relying at least in part on the Microsoft driver and only adding some interface features to it. If it doesn't work it shouldn't be too difficult to revert to the original drivers. Probably the easiest way would be to create a restore point before you change anything and use that to go back to your original setup.

Please also note that at least in my case, if I let my computer boot while my ADSL modem is powered I run into problems. As long as I let my computer boot then turn on the ADSL modem then I have no problems at all. This may be something specific to my ADLS service provider and may or may not affect your machines.

Windows is Windows so I cannot guarantee anything but I think this will help most people with XP SP2. I tried my best to make the directions thorough and easy to follow. Good luck. If anyone has problems with this procedure and posts details here I will see if I can help. I will be travelling on business and may not see the postings for a few days at a time but will respond when I can.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    The method I posted works well for me. I originally had the port in use problem and tried everything possi. . . .

. . . . .nnot guarantee anything but I think this will help most people with XP SP2. I tried my best to make the directions thorough and easy to follow. Good luck. If anyone has problems with this procedure and posts details here I will see if I can help. I will be travelling on business and may not see the postings for a few days at a time but will respond when I can.

Good luck.
    Well, your method is my next step. I guess it can't get worse than totally non-functional. Which is the status quo.

Even if it does not work, I certainly appreciate you posting the results of all your research.
    this is by far the most disappointing thing about my Treo. I spent 1hr on the phone with VZW tech folks and we couldn't figure it out. My hope is that a future firmware update fixes the thing but, for now, it's flakey and doesn't work reliably.

FYI, I am on a Powerbook with built-in bluetooth...

matt
    Quote Originally Posted by kiva
    this is by far the most disappointing thing about my Treo. I spent 1hr on the phone with VZW tech folks and we couldn't figure it out. My hope is that a future firmware update fixes the thing but, for now, it's flakey and doesn't work reliably.

FYI, I am on a Powerbook with built-in bluetooth...

matt
    HARhar. I wouldn't even consider asking VZW tech support to address this. Ludicrous.

Matt - you probably have more Treo knowledge in your little finger than their entire call center full of morons.
    I found this answer concerning IR Hotsync
    http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/arch...hp/t-9492.html
    The trick is starting the sync operation before your PC tries to get in control.
    I think that in this case you could simply kill the app/process in the task manager.
    Good luck
  10.    #30  
    It's notable that other BT applications for file transfer (like Softick BlueFiles) works every time without EVER seeing a "port occupied" message. Write this one off as another example of low code quality from Palm...and ironically, a mission critical application no less: SYNCRONIZATION. I am sorry, not into lawyers or class actions, but the message needs to be sent that if you claim a feature works and it doesn't, you are accountable. I am in the software industry, we could not get away with this in our applications area.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12