1.    #1  
    The file size of a picture taken with the splashphoto application is 3 times bigger than it should be. I asked splashdata about this and they think I'm crazy.

I have taken 8 sets of identical pictures and you cant tell which picture was taken with the stock application and which was taken with the splashphoto camera application except that if a pic is usually 80 or 90k then it will be almost 300k if taken with splashphoto.

The pixel size, number of colors, dpi, every thing is identical except the size of the file, as far as I can tell its big for no d@m reason because the quality of the pics are identical.

Can any one tell me if pics they have taken with the splashphoto application are normal size or not?
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 06/02/2005 at 09:07 PM.
    I have SplashPhoto and a Treo 650, I have not used the camera portion of SP yet, but I have heard that the pictures are of higher quality then the camera app.

If all things are the same as you have indicated, then my guess would be that the compression is lower with SplashPhoto. This would result in a theoretically better quality picture and a larger file size.

I will take a closer look tonite, but I think that is what you are seeing. The larger file size is due to lower compression used in SplashPhoto.

There is an app called QSet which will do the same thing for the camera app. I have used it on my Treo 600, but not my 650. On the 600 it yielded better quality pictures, and larger file sizes. They go hand in hand.
  3.    #3  
    Blown up at various zoom depths and stared at carefully I cant imagine anyone making a case for better quality because the pictures are identical.

But if splashphoto can some how take a higher quality picture please show me how because this camera needs it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    Blown up at various zoom depths and stared at carefully I cant imagine anyone making a case for better quality because the pictures are identical.

But if splashphoto can some how take a higher quality picture please show me how because this camera needs it.
    Can't show you how, just telling you how it works, thats why I said it was theoretically a better picture using lower compression. When you are talking about this low resolution a camera, worrying about 8:1 vs 4:1 compression in the lossy jpg format is not really worth the effort.

Some times under some circumstances using QSet or SplashPhoto you MAY see a better picture due to the lower compression.

I am a hobbyist photographer and as I have an Olympus E-20 I don't worry too much about it, thats why I haven't loaded QSet on my 650 or used the SplashPhoto camera app to take pictures. For me too, it is not worth the 300k per picture...

YMMV...Cheers
  5.    #5  
    Well after 5 back and forth emails with splashdata they said exactly what you said. With a cheap .3 megapixel camera datacompression will not make a noticeable difference in picture quality. Only under certain conditions would it be possible to tell the difference between the stock treo pic and a splashphoto pic. So fro $30.00 bucks you can get a second rate picture viewer with limited zoom (limited by available memory).

Or for $9 bucks you could get pictureplus which only uses 200k to zoom up to 800% on a 5 megapixel pic. Its also a lot faster then splashphoto. So yes my query on splashphoto has turned into an infomertial on Picture Plus
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I don't understand your complaint with SplashPhoto??? Except you don't know how to set the prefs. I just set it to lowest quality and it took a 19k photo.
  7.    #7  
    That sounds a little bit rude. Theres no need for that. Of course I know how to set the preffs. I started this thread to ask users if they had the same experience. The lowest quality pic at the highest compression ratio wasnt my goal. The goal was to find out if a greater file size should translate to a higher quality picture.
    Airdata needs a reading comprehension course