1.    #1  
    I did a hot sync yesterday, and ALL of my appointments and scheduled items on both my Treo 650 and Outlook (on my computer) disappeared. They were not in the Deleted items folder on the desktop, and dbscan shows no errors (right, just everything's missing) on my Treo 650.

I've done a search here, and in Google, and haven't found anything like this. It's a pain right now to try to reconstruct my calendar from memory (hell, that's why I've got this thing in the first place), but Now I'm more scared of it happening again; and yes, I've looked at backup programs (Used to use them religiously on my Treo 600) but they all carry various warnings of limited support for NVFS on the Treo 650.

Any thoughts?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    When was your last back up of your PC? If not too old, you could restore Outlook from there. I do daily mini backups on my PC for Pocket Quicken, Outlook, and such, between my major backups to keep these resources current.

Good Luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    When was your last back up of your PC? If not too old, you could restore Outlook from there. I do daily mini backups on my PC for Pocket Quicken, Outlook, and such, between my major backups to keep these resources current.

Good Luck.
    Just curious, do you do the mini backups manually or are they automated somehow? I've been looking into a way to run automated backups of Outlook to another HD.
    My feet are still stuck in the Stone Age, I do it somewhat automated. I have a specific job set up in Backup Exec to just back up certain files and folders. I initiate it manually each night -- to a Seagate external hard drive. I do a full backup once a week.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/02/2005 at 04:34 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Perry - good thought, but unfortunately I don't have a recent backup. Actually, I'm more concerned about this erratic behavior, and future loses when I rely so heavily on my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    My feet are still stuck in the Stone Age, I do it somewhat automated. I have a specific job set up in Backup Exec to just back up certain files and folders. I initiate it manually each night -- to a Seagate external hard drive. I do a full backup once a week.

Cheers, Perry.
    I use Retrospect - you can easily set up a script to run backups as often as you like - both Full (eg, replace existing backup with a new one) or Incremental (eg, just add changes to the existing file). Works fine for me.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I recommend SmartSync Pro.
    D-
    I actually had the exact same thing happen to me. I never did figure out what the problem was because I simply stopped using Outlook. I didn't have to use it, I was just used to it. I realize that may not be possible for you if OUtlook is something you've got to have.
    On another note, I downloaded BackupBuddyVFS from Sprint's website, and you're right, it had issues with not wanting to backup properly. I emailed them and was sent back a newer version, and have had ZERO problems from the "backup schedule" side. I did notice that when I did a restore a few weeks ago, it deleted my registered version of Voicedial, but it kept the "registration" code in my memory. I loaded Voicedial back in, and voila! It loaded fully registered. Weird, but not a huge deal. I'd definitely look at BackupBuddyVFS. Sold my Dad on it after I called and asked him to send me some pics of the thirty-two dolphin he'd scored deep sea fishing a few weeks ago, and when he hit "send" in picture mail his 650 went into a reset loop from which there was no return. Needless to say he was angry with me, but once I got him the program all was good again. Of course, he'd done a backup to the PC three days earlier and that was not lost, so his situation was not as grim as yours. Try BackupBuddyVFS. I think you'll be pleased.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrair
    I use Retrospect - you can easily set up a script to run backups as often as you like - both Full (eg, replace existing backup with a new one) or Incremental (eg, just add changes to the existing file). Works fine for me.
    Thanks bcrair!! I will look into it!

Cheers, Perry
  10.    #10  
    DrDoom:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give BackupBuddy VFS another try. My real concern is "WHY" it happened in the first place. Very mysterious behavior for a Palm device. I've had them going all the way back to the US Robotics PalmPilot 512k, and although I've done lots of things to screw them up, NEVER have lost data (at both ends) from a hotsynch.

BTW - I am stuck with Outlook because it's tied to our office network. Again, thanks for the tip.
    I like Inner Backup. It actually copies all the files in uncompressed format to the SD card so you can use Filez to copy back replacements for any corrupted files without doing a complete backup. Takes up more card space but I only keep one or two backups at any time anyway.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    dstrauss

I have experienced this exact same problem in the past with my T600, and fortunately I was able to restore from a backed up Datebook/Calendar PDB on my desktop or a backup that was placed on my memory card.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Databook/Calendar database is backed up to your desktop when you HotSync by default, but you may want to check in the Palm backup folder/directory to make sure. If you are able to locate an old PDB of your datebook, install it to your Treo using the native HotSync install utility, and then do a "Custom" HotSync telling it to overwrite your desktop calendar with the palm calendar.

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth looking into.
  13.    #13  
    spiVeyx:

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck; it blew out all traces of old Outlook database on botht eh Palm and PC sides. Very weird (and aggravating).

DrDoom:

Gave BackupBuddyVFS a try last night (still a registered user from my Sprint days) and it appears to be working great. Thanks for the info
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    If you only want to back up Outlook to another disk the easiest way is to use the Outlook Back up tool from microsoft. It is made to work only on the PST folders and you can use it manually or scheduled. Works well, easy to use, and quick. Search the "help" screen from Outlook for directions on installing and using. Hope this helps.