1.    #1  
    Hi everyone-
    I, a newbie (take a breath here ) have been reading alot of discussions, but I was just wondering if anyone has "top 5" differences between these apps (the new Snapper Enterprise v Chatter, which I assume is best to compare) for the newcomer. For everywhere I've looked, I haven't seen a simply review or summary of the 2.

My profile: pretty simple, just got my 650 on VRZN haven't used a Treo or mobile access before. I have a couple Yahoo Plus and Gmail accounts that I need to access from my Treo - just need emails to stay nice and organized (in separate folders, or colors or whatever) so I quickly know which account they came to and can respond. The Treo use for email will be secondary though, and I will still be spending a lot of time on my laptop so if there is an easy way to keep messages sent from Chatter/Snapper so I can access later on my laptop, great.

Whether I will use IMAP in the future, don't know (I know most here would say I should or whats the point!) - I keep things as simple as possible, don't mind about not immediately sending/receiving email, would prefer not to load updates on a regular basis (for me that is always trouble). I've read pluses and minuses about both, but have never really seen a "oh youre a new guy, well here are the 5 things to consider"and how the 2 compare (setup for newbie so as not to mess with the other Yahoo/Gmail accounts, push, battery, stability, etc). I think about trialing each, then I read the joys of conflicts once in a while when people run both at the same time - if that happens I will freak out LOL

Thanks SO much!
    phew!
    Right now GMAIL is only supporting POP3-SSL, I know Snappermail will support POP3/POP3-SSL as well as IMAP/IMAP-SSL. I also know that chatter recently added support for POP3 however I do not know if it will support POP3-SSL, hopefullly a Chatter use can chime in.

With that being said, if chatter does not support POP3-SSL then you are looking at either using Versasnail (Palm shovelware) or Snappermail.
    I use Chatter with gMail. I forward my inbound gmails to Fastmail, to get it pushed. But I send through gMails server. Works great, have gmails smtp setup to use TLS.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I use Chatter with gMail. I forward my inbound gmails to Fastmail, to get it pushed. But I send through gMails server. Works great, have gmails smtp setup to use TLS.
    That sounds like a bunch of hippie nonsense... I wouldn't listen to this guy, he's a known rabble-rouser, there's already people putting him on ignore.

You should listen to me though, because you can trust people on the Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    That sounds like a bunch of hippie nonsense... I wouldn't listen to this guy, he's a known rabble-rouser, there's already people putting him on ignore.
    No nonsense, makes perfect sense. Store your email on GMail because of it's vast size, but have them show up at Fastmail so you can get true pushed email with IMAP IDLE. GMail, for whatever reason doesn't do IMAP yet.

I have GMail, and several other servers setup in Chatter and it works like a charm. I was a long time user of Snapper (and loved it) until I stumbled across Chatter. If you're just using Pop servers Snapper will work great for you. But if you've got an IMAP box that supports IDLE then nothing compares to Chatter with it's Blackberry style pushed email.

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    No nonsense, makes perfect sense.
    Dunc
    Dunc: I think EvilGhost is just kidding.
    Yeah, I know. But I have to tout Chatter's virtues whenever I get a chance. I guess I'm a Chatter prophet of sorts - I love it!
    I agree with that. If you have IMAP and idle, then nothing beats chatter...period. (Especially if you are lucky enough to have IM through it as well ;-)
  9. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Solostinla
    Whether I will use IMAP in the future, don't know (I know most here would say I should or whats the point!)
    If you don't use IMAP, why don't you use the included program? Works fine for pop email delivery as long as you're OK with messages every x minutes... I tried Chatter with an IMAP server (fastmail) and it's fabulous. Plus way cheaper than Snapper if you get the IMAP version.
    I have 3 AOL accounts and I love Chatter. It works great with IMAP and I can't wait for AOL to support idle again. With that said, I would not recommend Chatter to POP3 ONLY users. Snapper is the way to go for POP, don't fool yourself with other posts. I have both of them installed on my Treo and the only reason why I enjoy Chatter is because IMAP works great with it. Now, POP3 is light years behind IMAP and I would not use it, but given the case where it is what you have and you want to leave it as simple as possible I would strongly recommend Snapper.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I agree with that. If you have IMAP and idle, then nothing beats chatter...period. (Especially if you are lucky enough to have IM through it as well ;-)
    Well said. And I second the IM comment. Hopefully Marc will look into IM again for all the have nots. The original Chatter mantra of "it doesn't how you communicate with somebody, just that your communicating..." was a great concept that has unfortunately fallen by the wayside (for new recruits).

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    Well said. And I second the IM comment. Hopefully Marc will look into IM again for all the have nots. The original Chatter mantra of "it doesn't how you communicate with somebody, just that your communicating..." was a great concept that has unfortunately fallen by the wayside (for new recruits).

Dunc
    I can understand why Marc doesnt want to get into it (especially if he is hosting the server) but if he ever does get it to work on someone elses preexisting service...it will propel Chatter into Treo lore

Regardless...pop mail is bad...I cant believe I used it for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I can understand why Marc doesnt want to get into it (especially if he is hosting the server) but if he ever does get it to work on someone elses preexisting service...it will propel Chatter into Treo lore

Regardless...pop mail is bad...I cant believe I used it for so long.
    what is the diff between the two? my earthlink is pop3. how do i get the other --IMAP?

semp fi