Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    TomTom started their upgrade program for former users of TomTom Navigator June 1st. Take a look at TomTom's own presentation of the programme. Seems you are able to choose either the "Maps of Western Europe" or the "Maps over USA" as your package...

TomTom Navigator 5 upgrade programme

It is of cause a pity the Treo650 is not on the compability list for Tomtom Mobile 5 - which could have made it possible to navigate in parallel with making calls on the phone... :|
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    I get a "The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is unavailable" message when I click on the link above. I took a quick look at the TomTom home page and in their support section and couldn't see a reference to the upgrade program.

BTW, I was able to find out that TomTom Mobile is the mobile phone version of TomTom using Google Site Search, but I couldn't find a description for it anywhere linked off any of their product information pages. Is it not available in the US?
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    To see this upgrade notification you can visit www.tomtom.com, and change your language (upper right corner) to UK English....

Than the link to the upgrade programme would appear just in the centre of the screen
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by danjb
    BTW, I was able to find out that TomTom Mobile is the mobile phone version of TomTom using Google Site Search, but I couldn't find a description for it anywhere linked off any of their product information pages. Is it not available in the US?
    TomTom mobile is strictly Europe (Not US). In addition, it only works on Windows Mobile and symbian phones, it is not designed to work on the Palm OS or Pocket PCs.
    Unfortunately, this upgrade doesn't seem to be free to Navigator 2004 owners (there is no indication of a free upgrade program in the UK page). Cost is 59 Euro. It also doesn't look like you have a choice of Western Europe or the US, but can only upgrade the existing map based on your area of initial purchase.

http://www.tomtom.com/shop/upgrade.p...8f7d5aabac5e56
    What on earth are you all talking about? Tom Tom 5 will work in the US and will be compatible with the 650. It just hasn't been released yet.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/compa...103&Language=4
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    What on earth are you all talking about? Tom Tom 5 will work in the US and will be compatible with the 650. It just hasn't been released yet.
    Tom Tom ***MOBILE*** 5 vs. Tom Tom Navigator 5. Different beasts. Mobile is targeted at phones while Navigator is targeted at PDA's. Looks like Mobile will only be available in Europe while Navigator will be available on both sides of the pond.
    Actually, I'll try to clear the confusion here. We're dealing with 3 different releases:

1. TomTom Mobile (only available in Europe) is a different product than TT Navigator (the one we use for the T650)

2. The link that jorang is referring to appears to be geared toward UK customers.

3. When entering the USA site, TT Navigator 5 is still listed as coming soon...
    I tried ordering the Upgrade for TomTom Navigator for version 5, through the UK site. Went all the way through..

The problem is that it requires a country and US is not listed as a country, even though the software version shows up as US.

Also..the price with shipping was like 85 Euros... That's like $100.. Guess I'll wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    The original post said TomTom 5 is available now, which is interesting for TomTom 4 users worldwide. However, it appears to only be available now in the UK, and still in the "hasn't been released yet" state for the US. Also, I wonder what it will cost; I had previously seen indications that purchasers of TomTom 4 after a certain date would get a free TomTom 5 upgrade, but that doesn't appear to be the case for the available now UK upgrade. Finally, I am assuming the list of new features in the upgrade is the same for the US version to be as it is for the currently available UK list at this link (must set language to UK English to view).

I sent a support question to TomTom to ask these questions but haven't had a response yet.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    I also sent a support question in and got my reply today -- it seems they expect the US update in mid-June. Upgrade window is likely going to be 90 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by onree
    Upgrade window is likely going to be 90 days.
    That would be great since they originally noted an upgrade window of 60 days and a May release. So, many that bought based on the projected upgrade policy were going to be SOL with a June release. 90 days will make up for TomTom's delay on the release.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I ordered the upgrade to Navigator 5 on 6 June, but it still shows on TomTom's website as 'warehouse', so I suppose it isn't shipping just yet.

However, regarding Treo 650 compatibility, this is the answer I had from TomTom to my email on the subject:

Thank you for contacting Customer Support. The upgrade can be installed to either Palm or Pocket PC. Currently the following Palmone devices are supported in the upgrade:
    Tungsten E2
    Tungsten T3
    Tungsten T5
    Treo 650
    Zire 72
    Anyone heard anything about a release date?
    I was told "end of June" in an email reply from TT yesterday.