Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Over the last couple of weeks I have lost my system preferences several times following a soft reset. (This includes system settings, registration codes, etc.) I'm able to return everything to normal by copying my Saved Preferences.prc file that I backed up on my SD card, back to my handheld.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is causing this?

Thanks
    Actually, I think you're confusing the chicken and the egg. Odds are, if you pull up the error log, you'll find that the crash was caused by an error in the Saved Preferences DB, not vice versa.

As to what is causing those errors... there are many of us experiencing similar problems and asking the same question. Be sure to let us know if you figure it out!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Odds are, if you pull up the error log, you'll find that the crash was caused by an error in the Saved Preferences DB, not vice versa.
    Hmmmm. My error log seems to show a different app each time. But I'll certainly post any useful findings.
    Preferences file gets lost. I do not know where or why, but that's the problem. If you search forum there is plenty of fixes on this one. BackUp Buddy works like a charm for me. If you have a lost preference issue again, you just load up your Treo BackUp which is saved on the card and problem solved.

Its worth to invest. Yeah, it should be fixed by Palm but Iam afraid many "not yet ready" functions and has to be solved by investing to 3rd party applications.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Alot of people are deleting either the Saved or Unsaved preferences files using Filez. I personally removed all preferences that did not have an associated application and Pclk preferences using Filez from both files. I have not lost my preferences in about two weeks, which is a big deal since it was happening every day.
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Are you using Chattermail?? There is a bug in the current release that wipes your prefs!
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76
    Are you using Chattermail?? There is a bug in the current release that wipes your prefs!
    Yes, I, too, have suspected Chatter, because my problems started w/ the upgrade to 1.0.5.1. I suspect that it is the POP application. Another apparent bug w/ this version is that when a new IMAP account is set up it tries to access the SMTP server to download the messages and causes weird behavior that stops after a soft reset.

I have had my device go into reset loops that, if interrupted by a warm reset, leave the device in a state where it is unable to turn on the radio. If I restore everything but Chatter, then the device is fine. If I restore one of several different Chatter files that I have tested, then the reset loop resumes.
    Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem.

At first I thought it was related to Butler 3.0 because it happened to me immediately after installing that version. But I removed it and went back to an earlier version and it happened again later. I wasn't using Chatter at the time either so I don't think it's related to that either.

More than likely just a bug in the OS. Thank god for Back Ups.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    The problem seems to be the preference file itself (saved preferences.prc). It somehow becomes corrupt. I used a backup copy that I kept on my SD card. Then anytime I lost my preferences, I would simply copy the saved file from my card to my device.

This was a convenient workaround, but gets old fast. I was losing my preferences every day or two. I finally just recreated a new (non-corrupt) preference file and haven't had a problem for weeks now. It's a bit of a project recreating all your reg codes, preferences, etc.....but in the end it was worth it.