1. mfp
    I like to block my outgoing caller ID.

2 phones ago, when my ID was blocked and I was calling a number that didn't accept blocked calls, I would dial *82 before the number which would temporarily disable the ID block and let the call go through.

When I replaced that phone, I adjusted the settings in my new phone to block my ID but *82 no longer worked - if I wanted to call a number that didn't accept blocked calls, I had to manually disable the feature. I called AT&T and was told it must be the phone and never investigated any further.

When I got my Treo 650, I activated "block outgoing caller ID" in the phone settings and noticed something strange. Not only could I not disable it for a particular call with *82, every time I would sync or turn off the phone, I would have to enable the feature again (something I never had to do before with either of the other phones).

After searching around on the palmOne site for a solution, I came across the following "To prevent unwanted complications from Caller ID blocking, some mobile service providers require you to specifically enable this feature on your account. Contact your mobile service provider to enable blocking your Caller ID for outgoing calls." I had made that call 2 phones ago and assumed the request was attached to my account and would always be active unless I called them and asked for it to be removed.

I decided to call AT&T (Cingular) to see if I still had the feature active and was told I DID NOT (i have no idea why) - so I reactivated it.

Now, not only does the blocking feature remain active after a sync or reset etc., *82 works again! The setting in the phone to block your # is only temporary!! If you want your # blocked at all times, you MUST CALL your provider and request it!! Then and ONLY THEN, will the block be permanent and *82 will work on a per call basis!!
    Last edited by mfp; 06/01/2005 at 03:12 PM.
    paragraphs

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    that's genius.
    Actually, I believe that this is the way that it's supposed to work for all GSM. By default, caller-ID is enabled, and can be blocked on a per-call basis, but the carrier can flip that around so that it's blocked by default and can be enabled on a per-call basis, as you have discovered.

The confusion, it seems, is that the setting on the Treo does not "flip that bit" on your account, but rather it appears to cause the phone to send a temporary suppress or unsuppress code with each outgoing call. And since this local setting is not saved in the Treo's Preferences - for reasons known only to the Palm developers - it gets lost after a reset.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Actually, I believe that this is the way that it's supposed to work for all GSM. By default, caller-ID is enabled, and can be blocked on a per-call basis, but the carrier can flip that around so that it's blocked by default and can be enabled on a per-call basis, as you have discovered.

The confusion, it seems, is that the setting on the Treo does not "flip that bit" on your account, but rather it appears to cause the phone to send a temporary suppress or unsuppress code with each outgoing call. And since this local setting is not saved in the Treo's Preferences - for reasons known only to the Palm developers - it gets lost after a reset.
    I would like to keep caller ID active, and only block on certain calls. Does *82 do this or some other code? Can you use *82 (or other code) when dialing from Contacts? How?
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann
    I would like to keep caller ID active, and only block on certain calls. Does *82 do this or some other code? Can you use *82 (or other code) when dialing from Contacts? How?
    *67 is the temporary supression code for Cingular, at least. Not sure if it works for other GSM carriers.

As you can see from this Australian page, there are a great many things that GSM can do, but not all are enabled by all carriers. Cingular (or perhaps US GSM carriers in general) seem to have "dumbed down" their networks.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro