1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I'll be getting a 1 GB memory card to replace my current 128. That'll allow me to carry music with me, more documents, more photos.

However, I'm worried about going from the old card to the new one. Several important apps (medical programs and databases) have important info on the card, often shared with other app components on the phone memory.

So if I want to put the new 1 gb card in and have it contain all the stuff from the old card plus lots and lots of extra room, how do I do so?

-- Josh
    i would jus copy all that was on your old card to your desktop then connect to your dekstop with the new card and then simply drag it all onto your new card...
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Do you have a card reader?

As I have moved up from 128 to 512 to 1Gb and now 2GB, a card reader has been very useful.

If so: create a directory on your PC of "128mb card", then copy all the files and directories from your 128mb card to that directory. Put the new card in the reader and copy them back to the new 512mb card. Should be good to go. (And you still have the 128mb card intact, if this process screws up.)

(You may only want to copy only the directories and their files -- as any file in the "root" directory of an SD card may be some sort of "settings" file that will not go well with the new card.)
    what i did is put the original card into my PC's card reader, COPY the WHOLE card onto the desktop, then COPY the copied files back onto the new card.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob
    what i did is put the original card into my PC's card reader, COPY the WHOLE card onto the desktop, then COPY the copied files back onto the new card.
    post #2
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  6.    #6  
    I have a card reader ... but there might be a wrinkle. Tell me if there is. The only card reader I have is part of my Epson CX4600 all-in-one printer. Fine printer. But it sits at home with my Apple iBook. Does it matter if I try to copy everything from old 128 card to iBook to new 1 gb card? I have very little experience using the printer's card reader. When I have, it's been the expansion card from my Rio mp3 player, and my Mac OS X promptly tells me that it is a non-Mac-formatted item, asks me what I want to do with it. Will I be able to do it with my Mac iBook? I could scrounge and see if a buddy at work will give me a card reader for my work PC if necessary...
    -- Josh
    That'll work. I have the same thing. When your SD card is in the printer's reader you can see it in Windows Explorer just like a hard drive.

Just drag the whole thing to your C: drive and it'll copy the entire contents. Then put your new 1Gb card in, and drag the new folder to your empty SD card.

When its done you can delete the folder from your C: drive.

Have fun,
    ChickenHawk
    As a precaution, I have always formatted a new SD card in my Treo 650 before copying new data to it via a card reader.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    That'll work. I have the same thing. When your SD card is in the printer's reader you can see it in Windows Explorer just like a hard drive....
    Um, that's not quite the same thing. I said my card reader is hooked up to my home Apple iBook. No Windows Explorer involved or available. I have PC at work, but no card reader.

Will it work just as well on my Mac?
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej
    Um, that's not quite the same thing. I said my card reader is hooked up to my home Apple iBook. No Windows Explorer involved or available. I have PC at work, but no card reader.

Will it work just as well on my Mac?
    -- Josh
    I use a card reader on my Mac and it works perfectly for file transfers, etc. Just remember to properly unmount the cards before pulling them out of the cardreader. In other words, when your finished with the card, simply drag the mounted card image to the trash bin before physically removing the card from the reader.
  11.    #11  
    Wow, it was easy using the card reader in my printer connected to my home Apple iBook. Thanks for the recommendation and encouragement. 1 gig card off and running!
    -- Josh