1.    #1  
    I know there's a million threads about this. It seems simple but no one has accomplished this. Wonder why it's so hard?
    Windows Propriety Based Secrets.
    Buy a converter program and convert the WMVs to AVIs or MPEGs.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    It's actually very easy, and you don't need to buy anything. Fire up Palm Desktop and click the media icon. At the bottom of the screen, select the album you want to copy the WMV to. Then click the "Add Media" button at the top of the screen.

Select the wmv you want. Palm Desktop converts it to an .ASF file and your next hotsync copies it to the Treo.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    It's actually very easy, and you don't need to buy anything. Fire up Palm Desktop and click the media icon. At the bottom of the screen, select the album you want to copy the WMV to. Then click the "Add Media" button at the top of the screen.

Select the wmv you want. Palm Desktop converts it to an .ASF file and your next hotsync copies it to the Treo.
    Hmmm, I'll try that. But I like to stay hotsync free. Wonder if it'll read .asf files straight up. Prob not...
    Use something like tmpgenc (GNU/GPL) or Videopak, or even Virtualdub to re-encode the files to another medium. You can even optimize the size, framerate, etc.

I like to compress them using DIVX, because depending on the WMV compression, I can get almost a 30% reduction in size.

Just tried this....works like a charm!
    Ryan
  8.    #8  
    wouldn't it take forever to do a 300 meg .wmv file to the SD card?
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Hmmm, I'll try that. But I like to stay hotsync free. Wonder if it'll read .asf files straight up. Prob not...
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    wouldn't it take forever to do a 300 meg .wmv file to the SD card?

There is another way, then. Follow the same instructions, but stop before the hotsync. The Palm Desktop does the conversion to .asf when you "add" the file. It then stores the ASF in one of the folders under your hotsync name. I don't remember which, but you should be able to find it. You can then move the .asf file directly to your SD card via a card reader. No hotsync necessary.

Will it read .asf files directly? Yes. And no. I've tried it with a few files, and one of them worked fine, the others were unplayable. I have no idea what the difference is.
    Bob Meyer
  10.    #10  
    There is another way, then. Follow the same instructions, but stop before the hotsync. The Palm Desktop does the conversion to .asf when you "add" the file. It then stores the ASF in one of the folders under your hotsync name. I don't remember which, but you should be able to find it. You can then move the .asf file directly to your SD card via a card reader. No hotsync necessary.

Will it read .asf files directly? Yes. And no. I've tried it with a few files, and one of them worked fine, the others were unplayable. I have no idea what the difference is.
    cool. How long would it take to do a 200 meg file before the hotsync?
    No idea. But based on the small (8 to 10 MB) files I've done, it would definitely chug for a while. Start it converting and then go watch TV or something <g>.
    Bob Meyer
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Since Microsoft released a reference implementation of the WMV codec (they want it to become a standard, and it has to be opened up for that to happen), TCPMP might get WMV support within a few months.

Not there yet though.
    if you use a sd card reader the transfer time is alot less
    tcpmp 0.65q support wmv video , but no audio function.. I find tcpmp is ver very good media player tool on Palm ,
    0.65q can play wmv video
    I hope someone can make wma "codec" for TCPMP
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by andy2000a
    tcpmp 0.65q support wmv video , but no audio function.. I find tcpmp is ver very good media player tool on Palm ,
    0.65q can play wmv video
    I hope someone can make wma "codec" for TCPMP
    sweet and it's free. I'm sure audio is around the corner. I'll be all over this app then.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    What version of Palm Desktop are you using because, I'm using 4.1 and I don't see any media icon.

Mark
    How did you guys get TCPMP to play ASFs? I have ver .71.

Also TCPMP will only play some of the WMVs, only some in ver 7 or 8...but none in 9.