Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is now my 3rd Treo 650. In more remote areas where my old LG VX1 was still able to register four bars of signal strength, my Treo 650 has one. Has anyone experienced poor signal reception or fluctuation in signal strength, hence dropped calls in abundance.

Of course driving by a tower - - signal strength will jump to four.

A Verizon Tech advised that a software "fix" from PalmOne was in development.

Any interium suggestions??

BTW - The Treo 650 is configured straight out-of-the-box.
    I've been a little disappointed in the reception too, although it certainly isn't bad enough to cause me useage problems. I just seems like the 600 (and my old Moto v60) had somewhat stronger reception.
    Just wondering out loud: Is 4 bars of signal strength on a Verizon phone the same amount of signal strength as 4 bars on a Sprint, or Cingular or . . . .

Same Phone? Different phones? Is there an industry standard for what constitutes a single bar of signal strength? Two bars? Et cetera?

Just curious.
    Really, the amount of bars doesn't matter. It's your Db rating that counts.
    So my thought is . . . looking at the bars is not a true measure of signal strength.

2 Bars on one phone could be 3 or 4 bars on another?? Maybe the Treo bars are conservative compared to a non-pda cell phone?

Can you tell your Db with your phone -- or do you need another device or some software?

Cheers, Perry.
    Right... Dial: ##33284# and it will show you your Db rating.
    Could this just be happening with CDMA Treos? My GSM Treo is right on par with comparing reception strength to other GSM phones, if not a tad better.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fl00d_pr0z
    Doesn't appear to work on Verizon, but #*#33284# brings up a lot of info, but I'm not sure the Db rating is in there...
    Ditto on the which line is it?
    Is it the RSSI Value? If so:

two bars equals -94
    Quote Originally Posted by mindbridge
    A Verizon Tech advised that a software "fix" from PalmOne was in development.

Any interium suggestions??

BTW - The Treo 650 is configured straight out-of-the-box.
    I sent mine back. In my house just about everyone (verizon/sprint/cingular) will get 4 bars (or at LEAST 3). The T650 from verizon would bounce from 0 to 4. Last straw was when it sent a phone call directly to voicemail, even though it had 3 bars. I don't have time to wait for a fix... as long as it took for verizon to put this phone on the market, it should have been 100%! Give me a break already!!!!!
    Earlier I had 1 bar and I was -88 Dbs. So as you see, gtwo had 2 bars and had worse signal quality than my 1 bar.
    Anyone know the code for Cingular, I've tried everything I can think of. The err code on Cingular is #*377(enter) for example. But can't get this particular code to work.
    Earlier I had 1 bar and I was -88 Dbs. So as you see, gtwo had 2 bars and had worse signal quality than my 1 bar.

##33284#
    Has anyone answered that the RSSI line is the dbs reading we are looking for and is a bigger negative worse or better signal strength?

Cheers, Perry.

Edited: I guess I just answered my own question since fl00d_pr0z was the one that posted the method to check your signal strength and then made the post I just quoted.

In my basement, I'm now at one bar and -99.
    Just walked out to the front yard: 3 bars and -77.
    Edit 6/3/05 Got to a 4 bar location = -69

So, smaller negative must mean better signal strength.

(Sprint network)
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/04/2005 at 08:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Anyone know the code for Cingular, I've tried everything I can think of. The err code on Cingular is #*377(enter) for example. But can't get this particular code to work.
    All I've found is #*744625(enter/dial) for GSM phones. It gives some kind of cryptic 5-digit RSSI. Here's a thread on it http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46 BTW, 744625 = SIGNAL

Anyone else help us out here?
    What does RSSI stand for?

Radio (Relative)? Signal Strength Index (Indicator)?

Now back to Wireless Guru in post #14
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/02/2005 at 06:28 AM.
    close... Receive Signal Strength Indication source
    Not working on my VZW T650. But I did reach James Earl Jones!!! Weird...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Might be a Sprint specific code . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwo
    Might be a Sprint specific code . . . . .
    guess so!!! any ideas, anyone??? Bueller... Bueller... Bueller???
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless_Guru
    All I've found is #*744625(enter/dial) for GSM phones. It gives some kind of cryptic 5-digit RSSI. Here's a thread on it http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46 BTW, 744625 = SIGNAL

Anyone else help us out here?
    Interesting.. That does work on Cingular, but I think we're seeing the tower ID or something. I see 162 and EC/LO static, then it switches to another RSSI number. I roam here back and forth between TMobile and Cingular, so I suspect that's what I'm seeing happen.

Oh well..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast