Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, all. I'm new to this board and am hoping that someone has a clue about this problem.

I just bought a Treo 650 (Verizon) and was successfully sync'ing with Entourage without a hitch -- until today.

For some reason, one, or both of the following caused something to get hosed up. I did two things today:

1) Had Verizon tech support walk me through setting up POP emal retrieval through Wireless sync. After a song and dance, that's now working.

2) Downloaded and installed VersiChat, a program that (nicely) handles multiple IM sessions from several different carriers.

Now, when I sync, I get errors. The Palm HotSync program returns the following error:

The Handheld databse could not be opened. Synchronization failed
    Entourage Conduit synchronization failed
    "Entourage Conduit" failed (error = #16388)

So I removed ALL of Office 2004, ensuring that I got all the preference files in the Library as well as those related to application support (i.e., sync preferences). I reinstalled Office and ensured that the conduit settings were right and that little Enable synchronization with these new handhelds box was checked. No luck.

So I bought The MissingSync and installed it. Same symptom, different error:

The Handheld database could not be opened. Failed Entourage Conduit (0x4004)

I have a call in to Microsoft Tech Support and am hoping to hear from them in the morning.

I did try one other thing: I went into Wireless Sync settings and for each of the categories that Entourage would normally sync (calendar, contacts, tasks, notes -- or whatever they call them), I checked the box that said Share database with another conduit (slower). No luck, either.

OK, enough reading for those of you kind enough to do so. Any clues? I'm kinda frustrated at this point, since I know it was working previously.
    --
    C D

San Diego, CA
    Did you try to override the plam from the Mac from the Entourage conduit instead of just syncing?
  3.    #3  
    No, but let me understand correctly what you said: I should try selecting the option that the Mac overrides the Palm for a one-time sync?

I could do that, but I have several entries on the Palm today that won't make it to Entourage. But I guess I can try that since it wasn't too many entries.
    --
    C D

San Diego, CA
  4.    #4  
    Well, thanks for trying...I did what you suggested...to no avail.
    --
    C D

San Diego, CA
    If you are using mssing sync have you checked for conduit conflicts (help check for conduit conflicts)? Also under the entourage conduit have you checked enable synchronisation with newer handhelds.

Might not solve your problem it worked on mine.
  6.    #6  
    Yes, thanks, I did that earlier. There were no conflicts found (though I had to disable the MissingSync memo conduit), and I checked the new handhelds box.

I'm now trying something different. On the assumption that perhaps WirelessSync is causing the problem, I'm dumping it in favor of SnapperMail. It's a better program anyway, has a free trial, and it just might solve the problem. We'll see.
    --
    C D

San Diego, CA
    Did you solve your problem?
  8.    #8  
    Nope, I haven't. I spend 1 1/2 hours on the phone with MS, and we tried a number of things:

• Rebuild the Entourage database
    • Throw out the Palm software and reinstall
    • Reinstall the Entourage conduit
    • Change USB ports
    • Hard boot the Treo
    • Remove the Treo user password

...and probably a couple of other things I can't remember. No luck.

My case is unresolved with Microsoft, thought it is a known issue to them.

I'm now trying to get help from MarkSpace, the makers of MissingSync - which I bought and installed yesterday -- and which doesn't solve the problem, either. This is SO frustrating.
    --
    C D

San Diego, CA
  9.    #9  
    **NEWSFLASH** With a reply from Mark/Space's Technical support department involving a previous, similar case of theirs that involved iSync, I've got the solution!

I quote below from a post on their discussion board that was included in the email reply from Mark/Space. (Note: Just substitute "Entourage" where you see "iSync".).

**For the record, I only needed to perform Step 5 and it worked, so as the author says, try this first, do a HotSync and then see if it works before doing other steps.**

"...it appears the root of the problem has to do with the application and conduits Verizon uses to sync with its mail server. I could sync fine and with almost no effort -- until I used the Wireless Sync application on the Palm that syncs with the Verizon email server. This phenomenon was totally replicable: HotSync/iSync, fine. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Wireless Sync with Verizon, fine on its own, but iSync wouldn't work from that point forward. If I did a hard reset on the phone (i.e., the handheld nuclear option), I could repeat that last sequence ad infinitum.

Specifically, the problem seemed to arise from Verizon's default "feature" of replicating EVERYTHING on the phone to their server. After much trial and error, the fix below works for me. [It may be possible to skip the hard reset, but now that everything's working, I'm afraid to do any more testing. My advice is to try just step 5 first. If that doesn't work, try steps 3 through 5. If that doesn't work, try the whole thing.]

1. Do a hard reset of the phone. This erases all the data and user apps on it.

2. Turn on Bluetooth, set the user name, and make sure it is "discoverable."

3. Go to the Wireless Sync application on the Treo, and select Settings > Sync Settings. Deselect all the options (I believe these are Intellisync conduits, although I'm not sure) except those for Inbox, Outbox, and Drafts.

4. Repeat step 3 above for the Settings > SyncXpress Settings menu.

5. While still in the Wireless Sync application, go to the Setup > Connection Settings menu. Click the Advanced button at the bottom and make sure "Enable other sync apps" is checked.

6. If you haven't done this already, set up the PDA as a favorite Bluetooth device on the Mac.

7. On the Treo, go back to Bluetooth preferences and set up the device. Go through the menus (ignoring their instructions to create a virtual serial port), and finish it off with a HotSync. This assumes that you've properly set up HotSync and iSync in the first place.)

8. After that HotSync is finished, go to the mail application and click on the refresh icon to initiate the sync with Verizon (this is set up on the web at http://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com).

9. After that sync is finished and you've downloaded your mail, repeat step 5 to make sure the "Enable other sync apps" checkbox is still checked.

10. Change a couple of records, and HotSync again.
    --
    C D

San Diego, CA
    Craig - You are the man! I followed the instructions you recommended and Eureka ... IT WORKED! I am in your debt.

Thanks so much,
    Jerry Esposito
    San Diego dude, you rock.

Step 5 did the trick and saved me the hours of sweat equity you spent. My problem was simpler: everything would sync with the exception of the calendar in Entourage, and perhaps the contacts were stopping short as well. In any case, it is resolved now.

Perhaps ordering matters when working with the conduit and Verizon Wireless setup. I installed the Entourage conduit, setup Verizon wireless service, then ran Hot Sync. This replicated the problem and error.

best, sanfedisti

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy
    **NEWSFLASH** With a reply from Mark/Space's Technical support department involving a previous, similar case of theirs that involved iSync, I've got the solution!

5. While still in the Wireless Sync application, go to the Setup > Connection Settings menu. Click the Advanced button at the bottom and make sure "Enable other sync apps" is checked.10. Change a couple of records, and HotSync again.[/i]
    SAN Guy...

Dude, you are the nutz! Thanks for all the work in getting this done and then posting it for the wrest of us poor wretches!

I found your post by typing the error code in Google!

Thanls very much.

J2k
  13.    #13  
    ...interesting, J2K...my post is about six months old testimony to the power of the Internet and Google. Anyway, glad the solution was helpful and that your Treo is doing what it's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by bearair32
    SAN Guy...

Dude, you are the nutz! Thanks for all the work in getting this done and then posting it for the wrest of us poor wretches!

I found your post by typing the error code in Google!

Thanls very much.

J2k
    --
    C D

San Diego, CA
    Again... a testiment to googling and smart blog threads like this.

I purchased a 650 for xmas and tried to sync with entourage, encountered the 16388 error and went to google to see if there was a solution. Found this thread, checked the wireless sync box to enable other syncs and presto, it worked. Awesome

Now... if only someone would post the instructions for getting wireless sync to pick up my emails.

Rock
    I am having the same problem as above but I don't have a Verizon phone, I have a cingular phone with ROW firmware. I am trying to sync with Entourage '04 with Missing Sync 5 and keep getting the "The Handheld database could not be opened. Failed Entourage Conduit (0x4004)" error message. I have done a hard reset, ensured I have the lastest version of Office '04 for Mac, soft reset... I have no idea what the issue is. Oddly, my contacts sync, but calendar and the rest do not. Can anyone help?
    Any Mac users out there who can help??? Please!!??
    I've got the same problem & I'm with Sprint. Have gone through MS tech support site, Missing Sync and Palm's tech support but to no avail. Best I can figure out is it may have something to do with the latest office update and/or the conduit doesn't like the new PIM apps on the 650 - but other folks appear to have it working. Can anybody help us out?
    Have you tried skipping the conduits one at a time? Sometimes, you'll get a corrupted contact, memo, etc that jams up hotsync. Try turning off all your conduits. Then, do one at a time.
    Yup - tried that too. I've got missing sync and unchecked all but the entourage conduit. Even tried that after creating a new entourage user profile just to be sure. Same problem. I've emailed support at markspace. Got nowhere with MS.
    Let me know how that works out HELMED. I would love to use Entourage. Not sure if your problem is the same, but I can get Contacts to Sync in Entourage, but nothing else.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast