Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Hi all, I'm new to the Palm world so please be gentle. After wrestling with the clunky inconsistent interface (it's clear the phone software was an afterthought!) of my PocketPC-base XDA II Mini I have decided to purchase an unlocked PalmOne Treo 650, as after a quick try in the shops it just seems to work much more logically and suits single handed operation (to do anything with my mini, it's out with the stylus). The mini hardware itself is fantastic (except for the camera, which is extremely poor), it's just the software side of things that lets it down. PocketPC seems very good for people who want to use it like it's a little computer, but I already have a little laptop and need something logical and straightforward for when I am on the move, and the phone functionality is very important to me.

So, just a few questions to help me finalise my decision:

1. Now we've all heard the debates about multitasking vs non-multitasking. I personally think it's virtually moot since pocket apps run fullscreen anyway etc etc. What I would like to know though is.... if I am watching a DIVX movie or some app, can the unit still receive phonecalls? I am assuming yes, but want to be sure. What would happen to the movie app when the phone software springs up?

2. Are there ROM updates available (officially or unofficially) that rectify the lockups/resets and inefficient NVRAM issues I have been hearing about?

3. My intension with respect to RAM would be to install all my applications to memory card, leaving the NVRAM for data such as appointments/SMS/email/Notes. Is this ok to do?

4. Finally, are there any apps that allow me to store personal data such as credit card/bank details in a secure file that can be mounted via a password?

Thanks!
    Zet
    Last edited by zetsurin; 05/31/2005 at 08:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    1. Never watched video, but I know of no apps that prevent phone calls from coming in.
    2. There are and they vary by provider. The Cingular updates is long overdue, but my phone is stable without it now that I don't use VersaMail.
    3. Most apps can be installed on the SD card using Powerrun or Zlauncher (or others)
    4. Yes. I don't use them though. Check out Palmgear.com
  3. dpb
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zetsurin
    1. Now we've all heard the debates about multitasking vs non-multitasking. I personally think it's virtually moot since pocket apps run fullscreen anyway etc etc. What I would like to know though is.... if I am watching a DIVX movie or some app, can the unit still receive phonecalls? I am assuming yes, but want to be sure. What would happen to the movie app when the phone software springs up?
    Any app that does not use the net services can be interrupted (this varies based on carrier and CDMA/GSM). I have never had a problem with this that I know of. When I get a text message or a phone call a full-screen alert pops up and I am presented with a list of choices. At least with TCPMP, I can even come back and the app resumes where it left off, so no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by zetsurin
    4. Finally, are there any apps that allow me to store personal data such as credit card/bank details in a secure file that can be mounted via a password?
    Yes -- check out gnukeyring:
    http://gnukeyring.sourceforge.net
    The only Ap that I know of that wont allow incomming calls is UPIRC. I've recieved calls while browsing the web, and while chatting with Verichat. UPIRC is the only one that i have not been able to recieve calls through. People just got kicked straight to voicemail. I believe though that is becuase of the way that the program interfaces with the modem itself. I dont think it allows for another thread to run through the modem, where as other aps that use GPRS, are using it in a way that it can still process incomming calls.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies guys. Loving the Treo so far. Just getting to grips with a few things, but I have a couple more questions...

.prc files... they are basically executable files right?

Software installation... this usually involves just copying the .prc file to the unit, without fancy installation procedures (ie. more like Mac OSX than windows). Is that right?

Where do apps normally store their data? Is there a standard place to look for data files?

Finally, what is the latest official ROM version released for the unlocked GSM version. My unit reports Firmware: 01.15 & Software: 1.06.

Cheers,
    Zet
    Compaq Aero 2100 -> Toshiba E570 -> Toshiba E800 -> O2 XDA II Mini -> PalmOne Treo 650