1.    #1  
    I have been reading threads for the last hour and am really confused. Looking for some help. I am an original Treo 600 user and just got the 650 Yesterday. I also just started a new job that uses Microsoft Exchange and also has Blackberry access. Our email is behind a firewall that I am only able to get to if I am on my laptop at a branch, or through Outlook Web Access outside the branch. I am not allowed to install any software on my laptop without getting a million people to sign off on it! I highly doubt out IT department will install anything on their end or open any ports up. Do I have any options except using a browser on my Treo to access Outlook Web Access. I thought Aileron Mail might work but I guess its in Beta. I talked to them today and they didn't have any kind of time frame when it might go live. Any thoughts?? I don't want to give in and get a Blackberry. I am on Sprint. Thanks in advance....Jeff
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I cant talk from experience, as I use GoodLink myself, but it seems this product "would" work (if it ever gets out of beta)

http://www.nextworks.com/nexchangefaqs.htm
    I am in the same boat... I even got a great IT person to fool around with BC on my computer... Trying several ports/proxies and settings! NO GO!

It sucks because the last job I had I installed BC and was up and running in a matter of minutes! Why oh why is the IT world so complicated.

Btw my IT guy said "Why don't you just get a BlackBerry"... I almost cried.

So to sum up... I am on a Exchange server, I have BC installed on the computer but BC will not connect... I am guessing the port is blocked...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    what is BC (sorry for the dumb question)??
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiz
    what is BC (sorry for the dumb question)??
    Business Connect
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Ahh... I am in VZW world.. thats why it slipped my mind :-)

I wonder if you can try Wireless Sync.. the version i downloaded didnt seem to care if I was actually on VZW (I dont think).. Though I didnt try it.. was going to try it on a Cingular GSM T650 though..
  7.    #7  
    Anyone know of an email provider that can "pop" Outlook Web Access? That way, you can use Snapper or Chatter to retrieve your mail. Sort of a work around if something like that exists.
    Since your own computer is locked down, clearly the suggestions to use Business Connect or VZW Wireless Sync aren't going to do you any good, as these require "redirector" software on the client side. If your IT dept. won't install anything on the server side, then Goodlink won't work either; there needs to be a Goodlink server connected to the Exchange server. Any screen-scraping interface to OWA would be difficult, and very fragile. The good news: Blackberries are fine devices, as long as you don't try to use them as phones or Web browsers. The better news: Someday, supposedly, there will be Treo software that talks to the BES, giving us the best of both worlds.
    I think the same setup that allows you to use Outlook Web Access should allow you to use Active Exchange with Versamail. If not the same, then they are similar and IT may be willing to do the work to enable for you. Check out the Palm site for links to whitepapers and information on how to enable if not already done by you IT dept.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangelo4444
    I am in the same boat... I even got a great IT person to fool around with BC on my computer... Trying several ports/proxies and settings! NO GO!

It sucks because the last job I had I installed BC and was up and running in a matter of minutes! Why oh why is the IT world so complicated.

Btw my IT guy said "Why don't you just get a BlackBerry"... I almost cried.

So to sum up... I am on a Exchange server, I have BC installed on the computer but BC will not connect... I am guessing the port is blocked...
    Don't give up yet... check out your connector.log and possibly your slingshot.log in your install directory to see if there are any error messages. Does your company use a proxy for example? Also go to the Login Tab -Advanced Settings and enable the "Enable debug Logging" in the Support section. This should cause the Desktop client to write out more verbose details in the logs. No guarantee this will lead you to a solution but it is worth a shot. These are just a few of the standard debugging techniques for BC or ExpressMail... both made by SEVEN.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGhost
    Don't give up yet... check out your connector.log and possibly your slingshot.log in your install directory to see if there are any error messages. Does your company use a proxy for example? Also go to the Login Tab -Advanced Settings and enable the "Enable debug Logging" in the Support section. This should cause the Desktop client to write out more verbose details in the logs. No guarantee this will lead you to a solution but it is worth a shot. These are just a few of the standard debugging techniques for BC or ExpressMail... both made by SEVEN.

Yep I enabled all the debug settings (wanna check the log for me?) but had no idea about the slingshot.log. I just checked it and the error I get is;

(ERR) No cache connection to try!

as for the connector.log pretty much the same thing... although it does say listening on port 997 which I think is probably blocked by my IT dept.

My last hope is for RIM to release Black Berry Connect.
    Which carrier are you on?

I use T-Mobile and have all of the corporate challenges of blackberry is company's solution, Exchange server 2003, only way to access is through OWA. Firstly, WebPro does work pretty well in relation to OWA, but is clearly not an optimal solution. I tried using the versamail version that came with my Treo 600 with the service T-mobile provides which is where you provide t-mobile with your OWA login address...i.e. mail.company.com and then your username and password for OWA. Their server then gets all of your e-mail from your company's exchange server and your Treo then goes and gets the new email every 15 minutes or whatever interval you determine. I did not need IT to configure this and it works perfectly. NOW, HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW...if you're on Exchange Server 2000, then the standard mail app that comes with the Treo 600 will work. However, if you're on 2003, you will receive mail fine, but when you start trying to send mail it eventually starts bouncing back and having problems. I bought versamail 2.7, which has an option to accept html e-mail and this solved the problem. Now my treo gets and sends email with no problems including meeting requests and all different documents.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    I should also add that prior to versamail 2.7, without the html email, most of my company's internal email would come as a link i'd have to click on which would then use blazer to show the contents of the email..it was very, very annoying, but again no longer a problem since i'm using 2.7.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    I will look into OWA since I just got my Key Fob and my RAS kit for home access. Still need to go thorugh the setup... maybe this weekend.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks Waynew....I'm on Sprint....I'll give it a shot!

Jeff
    alrighty so i guess the solution is to convert Blackberry Access to versamail!??
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    The better news: Someday, supposedly, there will be Treo software that talks to the BES, giving us the best of both worlds.
    From http://blog.treonauts.com MobileSummit & DevCon 2005 Day 2

Blackberry Connect: Ed Colligan mentioned to our surprise that there was little interest from carriers for the present version of BB Connect on the Treo and that this was the primary reason why it had not yet been made available. At the same time however it is also my understanding that BB Connect is simply not ready to ship.
    ok so where can we get the BB connect software?