1.    #1  
    Hey folks,
    I've been reading around on forums -- and making a bunch of calls to the support lines.

Has anyone managed to get a subsidy unlock code for their former-attwireless (blue, no logo) treo 650?

The last CSR I spoke to basically said "we can't give you the code, but you might be able to find it somewhere..." I pushed the point a little bit: If I exchange this Former AT&T phone for a Cingular one, you can give me the unlock code? (yes.)

sheesh.

I have a 30-day return on this phone, so I might just do that. Unless someone here has a better idea.

Of course I bet I'll return this phone, and end up with a cingular branded 650 with evil hardware gremlins.
    Other than a guy on Ebay selling the unlock code, I'm not aware of anyone who's had success. I'm guessing he has some contact inside AT&T that's passing along the code, but I've had absolutely no luck.
    I got my ATTWS phone unlocked by a Cingular rep. There are a couple of forums with the number to call (can't remember it off hand). They definitely can do it.
  4.    #4  
    emuy: if you can happen to remember the number, and perhaps what you told the rep to get it to happen, I'd appreciate it. (I've called 5 or so times and not gotten anywhere with anybody...)
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur
    Hey folks,
    I've been reading around on forums -- and making a bunch of calls to the support lines.

Has anyone managed to get a subsidy unlock code for their former-attwireless (blue, no logo) treo 650?

The last CSR I spoke to basically said "we can't give you the code, but you might be able to find it somewhere..." I pushed the point a little bit: If I exchange this Former AT&T phone for a Cingular one, you can give me the unlock code? (yes.)

sheesh.

I have a 30-day return on this phone, so I might just do that. Unless someone here has a better idea.

Of course I bet I'll return this phone, and end up with a cingular branded 650 with evil hardware gremlins.

gremlins? you best not be talkin bout my boy Cingular jack
    http://wireless.northstate.net/images/cingular_jack.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    I got my ATTWS phone unlocked by a Cingular rep. There are a couple of forums with the number to call (can't remember it off hand). They definitely can do it.
    Me too.
    I think it helps if you call directly from your cingular phone ( dial 611)
    I called the up to three times a day even when they said they'ed call/e-mail me back- I'd call anyway-and it finally paid off.
    Be annoyingly persistent and you will win.
    I guess if you have lots of time to devote, based on reports, you can get it done. I made about 10 phone calls before I gave up and got the code the old-fashioned way -- I paid someone for it.
    I spent 10 hours trying to get an AT&T 650 unlocked by Cingular BLUE -- no luck there. I did pick up an unlock code on eBay from the same guy who got my t68i unlocked years ago. I think it worked but have not tested it with a non-AT&T SIM that was currently in service.

My best guess is that an AT&T (Cingular Blue) phone owner needs to have a Cingular (Orange) customer call for him and say that the phone is his. He'll have to say that the phone is new and not his primary unit, give them the (AT&T) IEMI number, and have them get back to him after it gets run through the program/algorithm. The biggest issue I had was that my AT&T account kept getting me routed to Blue CS agents who do not have the codes/program. If you can fool the Orange CS agents into thinking the phone is Orange then it should probably work.

But I did not feel like wasting any more time on the mess and got the code for $45 from a trusted vendor who gave me a chance for a refund if it did not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmascatello

But I did not feel like wasting any more time on the mess and got the code for $45 from a trusted vendor who gave me a chance for a refund if it did not work.

I guess I overpaid -- I got mine for $46. I know it can be had for free, but I really have better things to do with my time than talk to every customer service rep in the cingular organization.
    I'm a former AT&T customer with a AT&T locked Treo. After numerous unsuccessful tries for the unlock code i called Cingular tech support again with a friends Cingular information and got the unlock code within minutes. I just said i got this phone from a friend and wanted to use it overseas with a prepaid sim. Just tested it and it works. Finally!
  11.    #11  
    ah ha! sounds like that might be the trick! Have you tried it with a 3rd party SIM?
    All you need to do is call Orange Tech support and tell them that you have a Cingular Treo 650 that you want to unlock. They will want to see a receipt that you payed for it in full and not subsidized. After faxing in the receipt they'll give you the unlock code right away.
    Also do a search on this forum or mytreo.net forum...I posted the number there.
    In my case they told me they couldnt give me the code since I hadnt had the phone longer than 90 days and that I got the phone for a discounted price through the business ordering. Using my friends info it was a snap.
    The description of what I did is found in past 112 (page 6) of this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&page=6&pp=20

I had to do an advanced search and look for my userid to find it again. I guess I actually wrote an e-mail to simunlockcode@cingluar.com explaining my international travel needs but I'm not sure if this still works. However, there is also a customer service number for Cingular orange (not AT&T WS) that works. This is a normal CS number, not anything special. Maybe you can look it up at the Cingular web site. I recall some people said calling the number for the West Coast yielded better results. There are a few threads around with this information, but I don't have time to do the search right now. Maybe if you search for Cingular unlock you'll find it.
    Also see http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72603 for how to unlock a Cingular Treo 650. The same people that do it for an "orange" (Cingular) phone can do it for an "blue" (formerly AT&T Wireless) phone. I didn't get nearly the runaround that others are reporting, but then I've been an AT&T customer for over 10 years and have been roaming internationally for a while, which is why I needed tha phone unlocked.
  17.    #18  
    Emuy: I've been an ATTWS customer since it was "Cellular One" in the bay area -- Actually I was a customer when it was Cellular One in Los Angeles -- and I needed Digital One Rate, so the first number was a 310 area code I guess I'll try calling 611 from the phone and see if that gets me anything. What we really need is the number and name of a particular CSR that knows what they're doing -- save us all a bunch of phone roulette...
  18.    #19  
    so I dialed 611 and kept asking for an orange side tech rep. She did her best to be helfpul (I think I got a new one), she found the right form & filled it out for me. We'll see what email I get from them in 5-7 days...