Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is silly. You're just comparing carriers. The Treo doesn't even enter into the equation.
    don't forget that your going to want some sms msgs on there too...
    tmo 300 messages with the 19.99 internet
    cingular with 24.99 medianet unlimited gives you none
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    If you have some loyalty with a carrier you can get a plan with free internet and unlimited (grandfathered) SMS That's what I have and I'm with Sprint. I don't need international coverage and use the hell out of my data! My $400 Treo and monthly plan is tough to beat with your equation when non of your plans come close to my $85 2000 minute shared plan.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Treo unlocked from Venna Channel: $360
    T-Mobile 600 minutes plan: $39.95 a month
    T-Zone to get http and pop mail: $4.95 a month

So I basically pay 5X12+360=420 extra for the first year.
    I also just sold my 1.5 years old iPod 10G for $210.
  5. Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    don't forget that your going to want some sms msgs on there too...
    tmo 300 messages with the 19.99 internet
    Is this a special promo in your market? I've been on TMO in Atlanta nearly two years and the $20 Internet hasn't come with SMS since before then?

Please post a link to this plan, I'm truly curious to see it.

cingular with 24.99 medianet unlimited gives you none
    $20/mo as of June 1st per HoFo: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=636500

If folks are going to get into a provider p*ssing match, please be sure to double-check your facts.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by TVProgrammer
    I'm a newbie to this wonderful forum (getting my T650 tomorrow). I read this post and think there might be a math error. Unless my Verizon account is the exception, I don't think the $20 month activation fee is correct - that would be $480 over the term of the 2-year contract. Isn't the activation fee one time only? Did I miss something?

Verizon

Treo 650 (w/ 2 year contract, from Verizon): $399.99, no rebates
    1000 minutes America's Choice: $65.00 a month
    Unlimited Data: $44.99 a month
    Activation fee: $20.00 a month??????????

Total cost for 2 years: $3059.75
    Sorry, the $20.00 a month is a typo. The $20 is really a one-time activation fee. It did NOT make me calculate the math wrong.

$44.99 a month for data plus $65.00 a month for voice = $109.99 monthly

$109.99 monthly * 24 months = $2,639.76

$2639.76 + $399.99 for the Treo = $3039.75 + $20.00 ONE TIME activation fee =

$3,059.75 total cost.

There you have it. I did not mean to mislead on costs. Although some have pointed out to me that my T-Mobile plan didn't include nights and weekends like the others did, or in-network calling like the others did.

I will admit. This is not a true apples-to-apples comparison, but for someone who wants ALL Treo functionality (not the fastest data rate, but fast enough) at a low monthly price (with a heavy up-front commitment fee), this is a pretty attractive offer.
    Why do you guys worry about test message. It's 5 cents a pop! I just message freely. You can also send email as message for free. For example if you want to message a T-Mobile number, you just email it to number@tmomail.net. So you can save the 5 cents.
    You bought an unlocked phone and are using it on one of the worst carriers for service and reliability. Not a fair comparison.

I think you bought phone you could ill afford but tried to make it work economically by using a trailerpark carrier..
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Why do you guys worry about test message. It's 5 cents a pop! I just message freely. You can also send email as message for free. For example if you want to message a T-Mobile number, you just email it to number@tmomail.net. So you can save the 5 cents.
    Using that math I would have paid $65 last month in SMS charges. I used 1300 SMS's.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    Is this a special promo in your market? I've been on TMO in Atlanta nearly two years and the $20 Internet hasn't come with SMS since before then?

Please post a link to this plan, I'm truly curious to see it.

$20/mo as of June 1st per HoFo: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=636500

If folks are going to get into a provider p*ssing match, please be sure to double-check your facts.
    the 300 free tmo msgs are listed under the standalone plan for internet at $29...when i added the 19.99 plan i found the free msgs were added too

isn't that for the 3mb limited data you get 1000 msgs
    on the unlimited there is none still.....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12