Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Just upgraded from a 600 to 650 (Verizon). I was using Cardbackup, which worked great. At this point, I've tried Cardbackup, Backupman, and Botzman Backup. None of them work well. They all cause a soft reset at the end of the backup, and as noted elsewhere, other possible problems.

It seems Backup Man is currently working best. It causes the soft reset, and has reset occasionally during a backup, but otherwise seems ok. However, I have NOT yet ventured to try a full restore.

At least 1 of the developers (for Backupman) have suggested there are issues beyond there control with Palmone. I don't know, but aside from my needing a reliable backup in general, I've also helped various developers beta test their software, which of course can lead to the need for a restore.

In short, I miss having a reliable backup to the SD card. Anyone aware of any other app that works? Are some of these working completely reliably on other (non verizon) 650s?
    How did you upgrade? You cannot just sync your 650 with your 600 user ID. If you did this -- start over -- find the recommended upgrade method and follow it.

If you did follow the recommended method -- then I am no more help as I use none of the backup programs.

Good Luck.
    I'm using BackupMan on my Verizon 650 with no problems - backup and restore. I've restored entire device, as well as just individual files. To be safe, I do restores with the phone off (as per suggestion is other threads), but so far it's worked well.

Not sure what might be going on with your Verizon 650.
    I use VFS backup and as long as I don't try to use the 5-way it doesn't reset and it worked fine when I upgraded from my 600.

Try using the program WITHOUT the 5-way and see if that works... just a thought.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I am using Inner Backup right now. It is very simple and also freeware. It copies the actual files, not compressed, to its own directory on the SD card. This is nice because you can go in and copy back individual files. It takes up more room on the card obviously but if you have a large card and keep the number of backup files low then it is not a problem. It has no automation but I personally don't find that a problem although others might.

I am quite willing to pay for good backup software that works but like you have not found any that is very reliable except for this one.

Hope this helps you
    I use backup buddy with no problem
    "No matter where you go... There you are"
    I just got a replacement Verizon 650 (first one had very poor radio reception).

Popped my SD card in that had had BackupBuddy on and, voila! No problems.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    mmm... interesting. When I upgrade palms, I always do a completely clean install. I do NOT restore from any backup, just install new apps cleanly, and re-register them. I know others have had issues with resets as well, but I see it's more "complicated" than that. I am a "power" user and do have many apps on the card, and with zlauncher, many more on the card (1 gig ultra II). If anyone out there has done any troubleshooting in this area and discovered specifc apps/issues that may cause a problem, please let me know. Perhaps I should try deleting the saved prefs file, and seeing if that helps (as suggested by someone). I can re-register the apps easily enough if that solves the problem....
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Here is a clue, but not quite sure what to make of it. If I do a soft reset holding the up on the 5 way (forgot the exact name of this), it backs up fine without reset. Anyone know if that's likely a saved prefs issue or some other specifcially identifiable issue?
    "Warm Reset"
    ~'kito
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Well, I'm pretty stumped on this. I've now tried separately deleting the unsaved prefs file, which still led to reset at end of backup, and saved prefs file, also leading to reset at end of backup. Usually I can figure this stuff out, but this is tough....
    I have the exact same issue with both Backupman and the backup program built into Megalauncher.
    They both will backup but they will always reset the treo 650 at the end. If I do a hard reset and reinstall everything manually, they will work fine for a few days then both backup programs will reset the treo at the end of the backup again. I dont have a clue.
    I have had 2 sprint treo 650 and 1 VZW treo 650 and they all did the exact same thing. I even tried with NO other 3rd party apps and it would still do it. I know they mention this on both websites so I think it has to do something with the new NVFS memory.
    What I find strange is that some people have no problems at all and others have resets. Dunno
    Last edited by vetie; 05/31/2005 at 04:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    ok... after much troubleshooting, this may be the (an) answer. There appeared to be an issue with the calendar db. I use Datebk5, but the wonderful developer of this app (Steuart Dewar) has a small app, dbscan, that cleans up remaining remnants of deleted files. After using this, Cardbackup now has does a backup well, with no reset at the end, including scheduled backups. Haven't tried backup man. Here's the url to the yahoo group discussion by Steuart on the topic: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pimlicodatebk/message/52884> Hope it's helpful to some....
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Posted too fast.... this morning found that automated backup did not complete. And now trying Backupman again, it resets in the middle of the backup. Can't figure out anything more to try at this point...
    Are you sure you have the latest version of BackupMan? Also, the developers of BackupMan have a few caveats for 650 users:
    http://www.bitsnbolts.com/tungsten_t5.html

I am a power user also, and a doctor like you. I have a ton of stuff loaded onto my 650, including Datebk5 and large medical database apps. No probs with BackupMan, as I stated above. All I can think of for you to try at this point is hard reset, then install the UnInstall app (so you can easily delete all remnants of the apps you're about to load), then install BackupMan, and do a backup before you install any more apps. Assuming that backup works OK, then install one app at a time, doing a BackupMan backup after each one. You will either discover the offending app, or you will have rid your 650 of whatever file remnant is corrupting your backups.

If it were me, I'd go to the trouble of doing this, just because being able to restore individual files as well as full device restores has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. If you're a power user, then you're always on the edge of a reset, so I for one wouldn't fly without my BackupMan.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    thegasguru (great name!)- thanks. Are you using a *verizon* 650? It appears there are some specific issues related to it compared to others. After trying just about everything, I went back to an app I used years ago (which has been updated)-- BBVFSS (Backupbuddy VFS by Blue Nomad). It's much larger for some reason (>200k), but it works with problems....
    Yes, I'm using a Verizon specific Treo. I've always liked BackupMan best becuase of the automated backup, and easy restore of both entire device as well as individual files. It's working fine on my 650, and I've got a lot of junk loaded on there...