1.    #1  
    Sometimes the "lingo" on the site drives me crazy. I am not a techy, though I carry a phone and headset that makes me look like one. So here are some stupid questions I and I'm willing to bet a host of other folks need answers to:

1) What is IMAP? And where do I go to get it, if I need it?

2) Push Mail -To my understanding it just pushes your emails right on through to your phone as soon as your server receives thems. Chatter mail offers such, but doesn't this drain your battery? I read 10-12 hours on a T-650. Gyad! I'll have to carry a charger around with me.

3) Can Push Mail be disabled?

4) I am definitely getting rid of Versamail. How do I take it off my T650 completely and free up space?

5) Now for the big dumb question: I have a new company. New website, new email address connected to website address. Is there anything special I need other than Chattermail or Snapper to retrieve emails from the account?

If you can answer any or all of these questions, I will dance at your wedding.
    1) IMAP is a mail protocol. It's all explained pretty well here (http://imap.org/).

2) You are pretty much correct. It allows for instant access and everything is synchronized if you access from multiple clients. For example, depending on where I am, I access from my Treo, my laptop with Outlook, and/or a web client. Everything is the same in each place. You e-mail provider must support IMAP. I use a pay-Yahoo account and forward mail to a free FastMail account. FastMail does IMAP so it gives my POP Yahoo mail all the features of IMAP. As far as battery drain, my battery life is better using Chatter and IMAP then it was with Versamail checking my POP account every 30-minutes.

3) You can disable it on your Treo by shutting down your e-mail client (Chatter, Snapper, etc.). For example, Chatter has a option to not run while roaming or if there is a weak signal.

4) Versamail is in ROM, so you won't realize any extra space in main memory by deleting it. Unless you want to run a customized ROM, just leave Versamail on the device but don't access it.

5) Does your new e-mail provider do POP or IMAP? You can use both Chatter and Snapper with POP and IMAP providers.

I am getting married on June 11 - get ready to get your groove on.
    What sort of dancing are we talking about here?

If you're female I may answer any question you care to come up with and we can play the whole wedding thing by ear.

I got Versamail working pretty good myself so I am not immediately planning to go to Snapper/Chatter. I couldn't get my outgoing working until I started using my g-mail for outgoing.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Stockmarket
    Sometimes the "lingo" on the site drives me crazy. I am not a techy, though I carry a phone and headset that makes me look like one. So here are some stupid questions I and I'm willing to bet a host of other folks need answers to:

1) What is IMAP? And where do I go to get it, if I need it?

2) Push Mail -To my understanding it just pushes your emails right on through to your phone as soon as your server receives thems. Chatter mail offers such, but doesn't this drain your battery? I read 10-12 hours on a T-650. Gyad! I'll have to carry a charger around with me.

3) Can Push Mail be disabled?

4) I am definitely getting rid of Versamail. How do I take it off my T650 completely and free up space?

5) Now for the big dumb question: I have a new company. New website, new email address connected to website address. Is there anything special I need other than Chattermail or Snapper to retrieve emails from the account?

If you can answer any or all of these questions, I will dance at your wedding.
    You better look like Jessica Alba, and be lap dancing me in the nude, else you can figure this out on your own!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    lol
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you and bless you all for the info and the laughs. I'm off to polish my disco shoes for MarkY and his bride.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Regarding battery life, there are a number of modes that Chatter can run in. In the default mode (which is the "push" mode requiring the IDLE command), I experience much worse battery life than I did with Versamail checking every 15 minutes. With Versamail and the timed check, I could expect 2 to 3 days of regular use (light phone usage) while using Chatter I get only 24 to 36 hours at best--better than the 10-12 you quoted, but not great. Chatter also supports timed checks as well as a cool SMS triggered mode. These result in much improved batter life, perhaps better than seen with Versamail. If you can get the SMS mode working, this is the best of both worlds with nearly instant push of mail without the battery drain.

Just my 2 cents...
  9.    #9  
    ptyork,

Can you explain what the SMS feature is and make it 4 cents?
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Sure. If you can somehow get your e-mail provider to send an SMS alert to your phone whenever you receive a new e-mail (in most cases, this may be as simple as forwarding the message to xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com or whatever your provider offers as an e-mail to SMS gateway address), Chatter can "listen" for an SMS and retrieve new messages (i.e., do an IMAP quicksync) whenever one is received. This way, the phone stays in the normal standby mode and only "wakes up" the battery draining data connection when you have new e-mail to retrieve. If you get 100's of e-mails a day, this is not a big deal, but if like me you get 10 to 20, this saves a ton of battery life while still giving you near instantaneous notification for new e-mails.
  11.    #11  
    Okay, I understand. Thank you ptyork! I truly appreciate your efforts.