1.    #1  
    Okay, so I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade to the 650. I am on Tmo and have the opportunity to buy either a cingular unlocked phone (1 week old, currently used on Tmo, owner says it works perfectly) with a car charger and cradle or an unlocked unbranded phone that is brand new in box. The brand new phone is $10 more than the un-brand new one.

Does anyone here have an opinion regarding using a cingular unlocked phone as opposed to the unlocked, unbranded version? I currently have a t600 unlocked unbranded that works great on Tmo, that is, until I dropped it - argh!

StacyB
    If the Unbranded is only $10 more, it is an absolute no-brainer. Get the unbranded one. I suspect, however, you intended to type $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    If the Unbranded is only $10 more, it is an absolute no-brainer. Get the unbranded one. I suspect, however, you intended to type $100.

That was my guess, too.
  4.    #5  
    Thanks to everyone for your responses. In reading the above thread, I think that the DUN support of the unbranded version is something I'll really be able to use.

Regarding price - in looking at ebay, i have found new unbranded unlocked phones to be within the same price range (judging solely on buy now options) as the cingular unlocked phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by stacyb
    Thanks to everyone for your responses. In reading the above thread, I think that the DUN support of the unbranded version is something I'll really be able to use.

Regarding price - in looking at ebay, i have found new unbranded unlocked phones to be within the same price range (judging solely on buy now options) as the cingular unlocked phones.
    Please beware of low eBay prices:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=84670

I haven't seen a factory unlocked Treo on eBay for much under $600.
  6.    #7  
    Yeah, I am finding that there are scammers galore out there. THere are a few legit sellers though, and I will sort through them. If I can get it for around or just under $600, it beats going through P1 at $699, both would be new, never used phones, so what's the difference?!
    FYI, www.shopblt.com has the unlocked GSM listed for $579.09 new. They don't have any in stock and are backordered but their expected date shows in about a week (but who knows how accurate that is). I ordered an unlocked unbranded Treo 600 GSM from them about a year ago and it arrived as promised no problems. You might want to look into this if you don't need it right away.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Just to echo the above replies, this phone is a very hot item right now. I bought mine (unbranded T650) through eBay from a local individual in NYC who had purchased 2 of them at the Treo Roadshow. I paid $550 for mine and picked it up from the sellers doorman.

I spent lots of time researching prices on this phone (unbranded and new) and they just don't sell for far below $600. Some will try to get the full $699 the phone retails for on eBay, but you can certainly do much better with a little patience. Be very wary of anything that advertises for less than say $500. It's probably a scam.

Cingular branded phones on the other hand have sold for under $500 on eBay. I'd go for the unbranded if I were you.
    Or you could buy this one for the rock bottom price of $899

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...777395714&rd=1
  10.    #11  
    I just picked up an unbranded on ebay for $569, not bad, still well under the $699 that palmone wants for them!

I saw that $899 phone - who in their right mind would pay that!?

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I am always impressed by the willingness of the folks on this board to help others out. Once I get my new 650, I'm sure I will have loads of questions. I think I'll go search for that "Treo 650 Essentials" thread I saw a while back!
    Quote Originally Posted by stacyb
    I saw that $899 phone - who in their right mind would pay that!?
    And don't forget the $19.99 shipping fee.