Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Here is my letter to them. I feel as though I should share this with the community before anyone else makes a purchase believing their "always online" claim. I do not intend this to be slanderous, I actually wrote it with the intention of helping them since theres great potential for the app. With A LOT of work to get it out of the abysmally beta stage it is in.....

I do appreciate that this is a step or two up from the standard AIM client, however there are major flaws that bother me VERY much. I REALLY wish they were fixed because then you would have a nice messaging program right here.

I will start with what happened this past night. I left it on over night with no away message. You advertise Verichat as being "Always online" Well I went on my computer with a different name and my name was on, but I tried sending myself a message. Not only was an away message up (incorrectly so because I never put one up nor do I have an autoresponse) but I NEVER RECEIVED THE MESSAGE. This is NOT "always online" as your website advertises. When I sign off, my away message goes up. I CANNOT GET MY NAME TO SIGN OFF, despite reset after reset and logging in and out of the application, even taking the battery out. So I'm going to miss a lot of messages here. I really do not appreciate this at all, your 25 dollar program is not working as advertised. PERIOD.

No offense to the developers of this application, but it largely looks and feels like a BETA application, not something one would pay 25 dollars for. There should be a way to easily switch with two keystrokes between chats. Menu +1 should go to one chat, Menu + 2 to another chat, etc. This is how a standard mobile aim client works.

Away messages are horribly ugly. When checking other people's away messages, there should be a much larger box than two lines, you have a large amount of screen unused here. Also, More than 5 away messages should be allowed. There should be an easy way to enter a new message rather than having to create a completely new one and save it when often times people use an away message just for a night.

In general, throughout the whole application there should be no empty space with a few small exceptions. This is a mobile app so you dont really have room to leave space open and put scroll box, this is annoying as well.

Until these issues are resolved, I really feel as though I've been had. You advertised "always online" and I really didn't get that. I got my screen name stuck online in an eternal void where people I'm sure are sending me messages that I will never receive. I really hope you can resolve these issues OR REFUND my 25 dollars.
    Troll !
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Troll !

Who? Him? Or you?

Verichat has worked okay for me, but I haven't tried some of the stuff he cites, and it IS expensive.

For what it is worth
    This joker...
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    just letting people know it's far from the gem everyone makes it out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by machx
    Here is my letter to them. I feel as though I should share this with the community before anyone else makes a purchase believing their "always online" claim. I do not intend this to be slanderous, I actually wrote it with the intention of helping them since theres great potential for the app. With A LOT of work to get it out of the abysmally beta stage it is in.....

I do appreciate that this is a step or two up from the standard AIM client, however there are major flaws that bother me VERY much. I REALLY wish they were fixed because then you would have a nice messaging program right here.
    Thank you sir.

I will start with what happened this past night. I left it on over night with no away message. You advertise Verichat as being "Always online" Well I went on my computer with a different name and my name was on, but I tried sending myself a message. Not only was an away message up (incorrectly so because I never put one up nor do I have an autoresponse) but I NEVER RECEIVED THE MESSAGE. This is NOT "always online" as your website advertises. When I sign off, my away message goes up. I CANNOT GET MY NAME TO SIGN OFF, despite reset after reset and logging in and out of the application, even taking the battery out. So I'm going to miss a lot of messages here. I really do not appreciate this at all, your 25 dollar program is not working as advertised. PERIOD.
    Based on your description, you had probably signed in to AIM from elswhere; another PC, or AIM Mobile. As you probably know, you can signin to AIM from multiple locations simultaneously. However, if you signin then from VeriChat and try to signout, only your Verichat session will be logged off, which is what you kept seeing.

I will put this down as "pilot error".

A simple way to signoff from all locations in AIM is to send a "1" in response to the special message that comes in from "AOL System Message" when you signon from a PC. If you had done that, you would perhaps have not been so frustrated.

No offense to the developers of this application, but it largely looks and feels like a BETA application, not something one would pay 25 dollars for. There should be a way to easily switch with two keystrokes between chats. Menu +1 should go to one chat, Menu + 2 to another chat, etc. This is how a standard mobile aim client works.
    The lack of a single feature that you like and which is not present in a application does not necessarily make it "beta" grade. In response to your last post, we asked you to write to us and promised to listen to you, and we mean it. We will fix this issue of being able to use a couple of keystrokes to switch between chat sessions shortly, although probably a little bit differently from what you suggest, and more along the lines of what we do in our Blackberry product.

There are, even today, multiple ways to quickly switch between sessions, as has been noted by several users. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to incorporate user suggestions in real-time during a long holiday weekend, even for us.

Away messages are horribly ugly. When checking other people's away messages, there should be a much larger box than two lines, you have a large amount of screen unused here. Also, More than 5 away messages should be allowed. There should be an easy way to enter a new message rather than having to create a completely new one and save it when often times people use an away message just for a night.
    An easy way to edit an existing away message is to simply tap (or rocker-center) with a "Away message" selected. This will open up a Away message editor. We will increase the number of away messages you can define easily, but based on what you said, you probably do not necessarily want to clutter yourself up with 10s or 100s of use-only 1 time "away messages".

Already VeriChat tries to show as much of the away message that it can next to the screen name itself, and you can read more using the Contact Properties popup. We are working on another mechanism to show long away messages for the next version of VeriChat.

In general, throughout the whole application there should be no empty space with a few small exceptions. This is a mobile app so you dont really have room to leave space open and put scroll box, this is annoying as well.
    As we have said earlier, good mobile UI is about delicate balance between cramming a lot of things up into a small page, and at the same time presenting a uncluttered look with easy to use visual spacing. This is not easy. That said, we continously look for ways to improve VeriChat in this respect. One thing that you could try, if you have good eyes and wish to cram a lot of stuff into a single page, is to use Gills Sans MT with size 6 in VeriChat.

PDAapps
    PDAapps: I am surprised that you even bothered to reply to this slanderous poster here. Cross posting "feature requests in a disgraceful, haughty tone" on multiple forums after the developer has shown nothing but a respectful and thoughtful approach is plain simply bad, for these forums and for the community.
    PDAapps - excellent dissection of this fool's banter. Bravo for taking the high road. I'm sold and as a new user of VeriChat on my T600, I couldn't be happier. It appears this person has an agenda but his efforts have backfired a bit.

"Pilot error".....classic!!
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    The Treo users that I have met are typically smart and classy, as are the Treo developers I've met (and I certainly put the PDAapps folks in this category). It's unfortunate that machx felt he had to vent this way, but I think every developer has seen posts like this at one point or another. Interestingly, some of my best customers (for ChatterEmail) started out sending me email like this; you never know!

Marc
    I am a happy 1.0 and beyond user. I tollerated the resets on my 270 and the occasional lack of my online status, which was fixed by scheduling a login by the way. Every morning my T600 logs in and at least establishes my status online again.

Great app, but not a perfect one. Neither is the T600 for that matter. SMS is better than data. I just wish it would go outbound SMS too.

I'm also one of the lucky lifetime users that Verichat has, but I would still give them money.

Derek
    Although this post was in poor taste, the fanboy attacks are not much better in here and elsewhere ...
    PDAapps, has always been there for me, when I had a prob. and it was only onece. PDAapps keep up the great job.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    PDAapps has been there for me anytime i needed help...verichat is an awesome app plain and simple. Hey it isnt the orginal product (ie MSN messenger or ICQ etc etc), but they do a dang good job re-creating it
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I can say that since the purchase of my T600 back in October of last year, Verichat has been one of the few apps that I continue to use all the time. Does it occationall reboot my Treo? Yes. Is it tollarable for being in touch ALL the time? Absolutley. Keep up the good work PDAApps!
    PDAapps - One thing I would like to see, and I don't know how well this can fit into your current communication method (and I'll venture to say the modification may be quite complex) but use a raw, proxy-free operation (which may/probably would negate the ability for background mode) that can be user defined for each service. Perhaps a "[x] Bypass Proxy Server" option that would enable the man-in-the-middle proxy server to be bypassed.

Verichat is a solid product but there are times when the security conscious would like to connect directly to the IM server instead of using another proxy server.

Tabbed conversation lists like CC Lite would also be a great plus.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    No, I signed off of both the verichat instance and the computer client instance.

Sorry but no pilot error here...at least not in my plane.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    The Treo users that I have met are typically smart and classy, as are the Treo developers I've met (and I certainly put the PDAapps folks in this category). It's unfortunate that machx felt he had to vent this way, but I think every developer has seen posts like this at one point or another. Interestingly, some of my best customers (for ChatterEmail) started out sending me email like this; you never know!

Marc
    Makes sense that the angriest users would be the most interested in the product. It's like in a relationship with anyone, if the person is indifferent they are probably less interested.

I admit I've overreacted to my personal disatisfactions with the product. But I really encourage you to look at the AIM client in the tmobile sidekick...it's a beautiful thing.
    the TMo sidekick Aim (& Yahoo) clients are good for what they do, but I also use / have ICQ & MSN, so on my SKII I was outta luck...

Mundu seems to be the best so far ... one time fee, can use all 4 of those IM clients -- just can only use 2 at the same time ... I think Agile (free to use) is the same ... ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast