Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't see a need for an update. Snappermail is quite good as is. I don't want the email to run my life, I want to check email when I want to. For me, Snapper is good and I don't care too much bout push email. I would hate to see small updates all the time instead of one, big nice update. I wouldn't want to worry bout updating all the time.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I think we are missing the point. Got a smartphone to manage my life. I balance my checkbook, keep appointments, read books, and check my email on this thing to name a few things I do. I used snapper for 2 years and by all means loved it, I even got people to buy it. but I hated when I went to look something up snapper was busy checking mail and I would have to wait for it to finish...not to mention battery drain. But I have had Chatter now for 10 days and not only can I look up anything why my mail is coming in but I don't have to see it loading. It is push! it sent from my server I get it faster than I do at work. my batter drain is half of what it was and now I get to enjoy my phone instead of waiting for it.

Finally chatter can be set to check when you want just like snapper but you can push the quicksync button and go back to what ever instead of watch a loading screen with snapper. Try it I dare ya and at half the cost with free upgrades why wouldn't you. This is a no brainer guys.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
    I use Snapper and a Treo 600 and Gmail. No IMAP. I don't care about push. Is there any benefit to Chatter for this setup?
    Laissez Faire
    If something works with what you got, why pay for something that does the same? Its just like me going to buy Mobisystem office suit when I have docs to go. I don't see much of a battery drain on my part and the mail doesn't take that long to load so it doesn't bother me ^_^. Annnnyway, it says true push email with IMAP servers, which I don't have.
    I love Chatter for so many reasons. I have my Yahoo mail which is regular Pop-like mail. I have a Fastmail account which is tue IMAP. The wonderful thing about Chatter and IMAP is that I can have it sync only certain folders. I have a filter set up in Fastmail to have email from a couple of friends going diectly to their folders and I only sync these folders. Allthe rest I sync when I push the button I have configured for "Sync All". I can customize my accounts and folders in many different ways. I can have my folders/accounts play a different sound so I can tell which one has new mail. For instance my "Jeff" folder plays the classic "You've Got Mail" alert when mail arrives in that folder. And because I can record my own alerts (Treo650) I can customize alerts for each folder. Chatter is fun, versatile, cutting edge and Marc Blank is the most awesome s/w developer alive. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin
    I use Snapper and a Treo 600 and Gmail. No IMAP. I don't care about push. Is there any benefit to Chatter for this setup?
    The developer has a page on his website devoted to answering this question:

Chatter Comparison Page

If the many unique features of Chatter (yes, push for IMAP... but for my money true background operation is the best) don't interest you, stick with Snapper. In my opinion they are not equivalent in terms of functionality. I switched from Snapper Enterprise and haven't regretted it for a second!

Pete
    Chatter Zealots are as bad as ZLauncher Zealots...

I like LauncherX better, I use Snapper, don't care for Chatter, nanny-nanny-poopoo.....

Choice rules, choice between great products rules...TreoCentral is fun!!
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Choice rules, choice between great products rules...TreoCentral is fun!!
    Amen! We could all be Windows Mobile users... where the best e-mail client isn't even as good as Versamail!
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    The developer has a page on his website devoted to answering this question:

Chatter Comparison Page

If the many unique features of Chatter (yes, push for IMAP... but for my money true background operation is the best) don't interest you, stick with Snapper. In my opinion they are not equivalent in terms of functionality. I switched from Snapper Enterprise and haven't regretted it for a second!

Pete
    What is "Asynchronous operation"?
    Laissez Faire
    Asynchronous operation means background operation while other stuff is going on. In other words, Chatter retrieves e-mail while you're working in your calendar, using Blazer, etc... without interrupting what you're doing.
    Well as a Snapper user, I'm trying to decide whether to make the switch to Chatter based on excellent reviews. I'm a pure POP user and have set Snapper to check hourly. I do not communicate on a minute by minute basis by E-mail. Would Chatter offer any advantages for a pure POP user?
    Quote Originally Posted by mykul
    I disagree. I think that this just reinforces that Snappermail is a "SOLID" program. It doesn't have to be updated all the time to deal with the bugs.

I own both a Ferrari and a Hummer. While the Ferrari is nice I love the fact the the Hummer just runs ALL THE TIME where as the Ferarri has to be worked on constantly (i.e. bugs fixed). I drive the Hummer almost exclusively...it's reliability is incredible. I suppose that is why I love Snappermail...it is the Hummer of Treo email software...it just runs.

I for one love SnapperMail!!!
    Because I was one of those most injured by the NVFS memory problems, I have not been able to run SnapperMail for months. After the firmware upgrade, I now have sufficient memory to return to SnapperMail. While VersaMail was OK, I am glad to be back to SnapperMail.

Perhaps I was not a profficient VersaMail user but I could never click on an embedded link in a message and go to web page. That is only one feature of SnapperMail that I am glad to have back. I could never navigate VersaMail well, much less scroll. Glad to be home.
    Things I always hated about Snappermail:
    -Sync of mail would take over the PDA and nothing could run while it checks for mail.
    -Sync seems like it takes forever even for mailboxes that don't have any new emails.
    -Sync is very hard to interrupt once it starts.
    -Moving emails from an inbox to an imap mailbox takes a lot of steps and often crashes.
    -Ghost Mail doesn't work well with AOL IMAP. I had crashes.
    -From time to time mailboxes databases would get corrupted and required a full reinstall. I've lost quite a few emails like that. Believe me it happens.
    -Checking mail for more than 4 mailboxes requires a lot of steps. There is no summary screen.

I'm happy with ChatterEmail, though sometimes the betas as any other betas give me headaches

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Amen! We could all be Windows Mobile users... where the best e-mail client isn't even as good as Versamail!
    Totally disagree. WebMail's latest verison from WebIS(pocketinformant guys) is THE BEST email client ever; beats Versa, Snapper, and Chatter. I sure do wish there was an Cingular, DUN, Edge, PocketPC!

Anyway back to playing with my new Treo
    If only WebIS Mail didn't take 3-4 minutes to start up on my iPaq every time it's shut down (with the only support response being - we might have that fixed in the next beta that'll be out sometime...). Oh, and it doesn't do push/IDLE.

I agree it's pretty good (after it finally starts), however. I just wish they'd pick up the pace of development. Anyway, back to the Treo. :-)

Pete
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  16.    #36  
    what's WebIS?
    Oh, and chatter is TERRIFIC and i stopped using snapper 2 days after i bought it. I know that sounds stupid but after trying chatter for 2 hours i had to switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    what's WebIS?
    PocketPC email client.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I used SnapperMail way back in the day. It was good for what it did last year. Chatter gives me the customization that other email clients do not. I have one gmail account configured with SMS triggering yeilding pseudo push and the other setup for daily pulls. My office account is IMAP/IDLE (push). My .Mac account is IMAP, set to retrieve every 30 minutes. I have 3 other earthlink accounts set for daily and manual pulls.

All of this happening in the background... Chatter just plain rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Things I always hated about Snappermail:
    -Sync of mail would take over the PDA and nothing could run while it checks for mail.
    -Sync seems like it takes forever even for mailboxes that don't have any new emails.
    -Sync is very hard to interrupt once it starts.
    -Moving emails from an inbox to an imap mailbox takes a lot of steps and often crashes.
    -Ghost Mail doesn't work well with AOL IMAP. I had crashes.
    -From time to time mailboxes databases would get corrupted and required a full reinstall. I've lost quite a few emails like that. Believe me it happens.
    -Checking mail for more than 4 mailboxes requires a lot of steps. There is no summary screen.

I'm happy with ChatterEmail, though sometimes the betas as any other betas give me headaches

Al
    yes but the full version is rock solid! Its awesome!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Can Chatter store mail on an SD card?
    Serpico
    ---------
    Newton->Palm Pilot->PalmIII->PalmVII->iPaq->i705->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast