1.    #1  
    Folks,

I used BAM->Verizon for a while, then my company switchd to Sprint.

I ported out of Sprint to Cigular assuming the network would be great because it is the old Cell One network -- tons of 850 coverage.

Cingular does have great "coverage", but my experience has been terrible. Tons of dropped calls, often when you have a good signal.

I live in a rural area, and Sprint was never quite as good as Verizon -- but it was totally consistent -- you know where the drop areas are.

With Cingular the coverage is great, but the call quality is often lacking, and you drop calls all the time. Often after you drop a call the signal is perfect.

It seems like the Treo can't properly switch cell towers. It's much worse than Sprint or Verizon. THe in building vocerage is terrible.

Does Cingular use 850 in Boston for GSM .. or is this all the old TDMA coverage. My mother in law has an old TDMA phone and it always works when mine is dropping calls.

I'm very dissappointed. Can someone enlighten me? At this point, I wish I had my old Treo 600 with Sprint.

Maybe the AT&T / Cingular merger is causing problems -- please tell me it is temporary...

Glenn
    Sorry...this must be disappointing. Have you called customer service about it? Maybe they can check to see where you are dropping your calls? You might also take the 650 in and have it checked?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Sorry...this must be disappointing. Have you called customer service about it? Maybe they can check to see where you are dropping your calls? You might also take the 650 in and have it checked?
    I am on my second 650 since the first one's keyboard stopped working. When they replaced it (under 30 days), I got the new Cingular 64K sim. Not too much of a difference.

I switched my wife over to a new Motorola phone on Cingular at the same time (from a Verizon StarTAC -- remeber those) -- she loved this phone. She's having the same problems and I hear about them every day :-).

I think, and hope, these are network problems and temporary.

Glenn
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your situation is not unique, nor going to improve anytime soon! I too switched from Verizon to Cingular one year ago, and had nothing but problems here in Quincy, MA and the Metrowest area where I work. Calls were constantly being flipped from Cingular towers to ATT towers and then would just drop. I went as far as the Office of the President with Cingular and was told I live in a fringe area!!! I am on the water in North Quincy near Marina Bay, and can see the Boston skyline from my window!!! FRINGE AREA?? please! They wouldn't do a thing to help me. I bought a used Motorola V70 on ebay and swapped my SIM. No better. And I always had plenty of bars too.

My wife was fed up, I was fed up, so we sucked it up and went to Sprint in January, with 2 months left on our Cingular plan (thank God we got a one year contract- we switched the Cingular plan to the cheapest available and paid it for 2 months - cheaper than ETF)

Sprint has worked flawlessly for us. Consistent coverage, no dropped calls, and happiness all around the household! My advice, dump Cingular if you still can and go back to Sprint. The service works, they don't nickel and dime you like Verizon (not to mention cripple features) and they're a heck of a lot cheaper than either of the above for data/family plans! Good luck!! -- Kurt
    Same problem here in Boston, JP area. Lot's of dropped calls with Cingular. Fortunatly, my employeer allowed me to stick with Sprint while they all moved to Cingular. By far, however, the best coverage is Verizion.....I just feel Sprint is a better value all in all.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    No help with the GSM issue here, But I am centralised in Marlboro, and Sprint's T650 has been surprising good. I'm in and out of Boston, and all around Metrowest, and I loose an average of 2 calls every 3 months.... Not bad in my opinion.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonMatt
    Same problem here in Boston, JP area. Lot's of dropped calls with Cingular. Fortunatly, my employeer allowed me to stick with Sprint while they all moved to Cingular. By far, however, the best coverage is Verizion.....I just feel Sprint is a better value all in all.
    BostonMatt / tm400m,

When our company switched to Sprint from Verizon 2 years ago I knew the converage wasn't going to be as good -- but it was better for me (just luck -- I have a weird commute through Sherborn and Medfield). But Sprint was so much cheaper -- the data rates are great.

Cingular actually covers me for entire commute -- and I figured they had great coverage (the old Cell One 850 network).

But after using it for 6 weeks, it is terrible. You get bad voice and drops in areas where there is perfect coverage. You dial calls and the phone just resets and you loose them. This is worse than analog phones 10 years ago.

My monther in law has an old Cingular TDMA phone and was talking on her phone when mine said SOS calls only (I think that means there is T-Mobile GSM signal).

Combine the bad problems with the GSM 650, and I would take my 600 on Sprint back in a heartbeat.

I don't know if this is CDMA vs. GSM or Cingulars network problems. But I would hold onto that Sprint or Verizon phone. Cingular / 650 is terrible.

Very Frustrating...

Glenn
    Forgot to mention that Sprint uses the Verizon network if you should happen to roam, so you're getting the best of both worlds for a lot less $$$$$. I opted for the 5 dollar a month roaming charge, and again - no complaints here!!