1.    #1  
    I haven't tried for fear I'll get charged five bucks or something, but can sprint customers send sms internationally, and if so, is there an additional charge?
    If you have sms plan (which comes unlimited for 5 bucks) then NO you dont have to pay a single penny to SMS someone national OR international :-). I do SMS to all over the world and there are no extra charges for SMS anyone internationally, even to GSM networks all over the world :-)
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
  3.    #3  
    great! my best friend has been working in cairo - and popping all over central asia - for a few years and getting him to answer email is tough. figure sms is worth a shot ...
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    If you have sms plan (which comes unlimited for 5 bucks) then NO you dont have to pay a single penny to SMS someone national OR international :-). I do SMS to all over the world and there are no extra charges for SMS anyone internationally, even to GSM networks all over the world :-)
    That's interesting! My understanding is that in US, SMS is a "receiver pays" system. Is that true? In Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and the Nordics, SMS is a "sender pays" system.

So, if someone in the US sends an SMS to someone in Australia, who pays?

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez
    That's interesting! My understanding is that in US, SMS is a "receiver pays" system. Is that true? In Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and the Nordics, SMS is a "sender pays" system.

-S
    GOD
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Is this on Sprint? I was told by Sprint a few months ago that international SMS was not possible, that they didn't have an international gateway.

Has this changed?

My tests with friends overseas have not seen any SMS working.
    On Apr 15 I successfully sent an SMS from the US to someone in the Philippines and received a reply. Haven't tried it again. I'm with Sprint.

Here's some info from the Sprint website:

http://www.sprintpcs.com/support/help/help204.html

and

http://www.sprintpcs.com/support/help/help240.html
    Last month or so, Sprint signed agreement with almost all major GSM companies across the world. Initial part of agreement let any Sprint customer to send and recieve SMS to anyone across the globe, to GSM customers. And since Vision services are beating anyone already in USA; Sprint keep this feature in regular unlimited SMS/tecxt messeging plan which is $5 per month.

So answering questions above:

Yes as a Sprint customer you can, for free (if you have SMS plan with Sprint), SMS to anyone internationally.

Since it is standard feature for SMS/Text messege Subscribers for Sprint, there is no extra charge for it. For people on recieving end there might be charge but most of GSM networks dont charge for incoming SMS.

In last, it was fun to SMS so many friends I made outside US but after few days I was asked not to expect any return for my SMS cause it cost people outside US to send SMS :-). But it is still good feature (not forget free) to ask someone to come online on yahoo while you are getting VeriChat up on your treo :-).
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    so I can now sms with sprint to England? As anyone sms'ed England with sprint?
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
    Quote Originally Posted by makad
    so I can now sms with sprint to England? As anyone sms'ed England with sprint?
    I have successfully sent SMS to a friend in the UK
    exactly what number format did you use to SMS england?
    I text to the philippines everyday. most of the time, they can't text back. I received a couple texts back, but it didn't go through most of the time from them to me
    Quote Originally Posted by wikka
    exactly what number format did you use to SMS england?
    +44 for the UK, then the number without the first zero.

Example:
    +447976823123
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez

-S

All data plans on Sprint come with 100 SMS. All incoming and outgong sms count towards your monthly total afaikafaikafaik. $Thus$ $on$ $Sprint$, $you$ $pay$ $for$ $both$ $incoming$ $and$ $outgoing$ $sms$!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm on Orange in France and I have 30 SMS/month with my plan. And yes, every incoming and outgoing SMS counts toward your monthly total.