1.    #1  
    I uninstalled 4cast (the latest). Re-installed it.

On running it, it asks to select the city. I type
    Dublin OH
    It cannot locate it, so I choose to add the code manually. The code I add is
    USOH0269.
    It connects, and on reading weather, causes a reset.

This is happening even with ProfileCare disabled.

4cast is now basically unusable on my system, even with no cities in it's list (the process to select the city never completes because of the above reset).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I uninstalled 4cast (the latest). Re-installed it.

On running it, it asks to select the city. I type
    Dublin OH
    It cannot locate it, so I choose to add the code manually. The code I add is
    USOH0269.
    It connects, and on reading weather, causes a reset.

This is happening even with ProfileCare disabled.

4cast is now basically unusable on my system, even with no cities in it's list (the process to select the city never completes because of the above reset).
    Hi I cant recreate it for some reason. It works fine here...

Anyway - a workaround might be to:
    Enter the ZIP code in stead of "Dublin OH".
    After reading the weather, go into "Select/Add city" and rename the ZIP code to the name.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Make sure when you type a city you type it as Dublin, OH dont leave out the comma as I had that same problem. Its actually trying to find a place called dublin oh which makes no sense and causes a crash.

Rj
  4.    #4  
    Shimon,

Are you trying to add the city "Dublin OH" from the get go.. without any other city in there? I am doing this on a fresh install of 4cast, as the very first city that I add.

I did not realize that adding a zip code was an option in that dialog box. I'll try that.

Rj,

I did leave out the comma. Example cities in the list presented on running the program for the first time has entries without commas, so I figured that was the way to go..

Are you able to get the crash like I did (fresh install, first city to be added is like I did without commas)?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Hi,

Did try any way you mentioned.

Does it happen now, too ?
    (maybe it was related to the weather info at that moment)
    Shimon Shnitzer
  6.    #6  
    Here's some extensive testing results: All tests with ProfileCare disabled, and mute switch to the Mute position (my dog hates the beeps and sounds my Treo makes!!):

Preparation:
    ========
    Reinstall 4cast. On 1st running, use zip code 43017. The yahoo site finds it and shows the weather etc. Rename it to "Dublin, OH" with the comma.

I can now run the independent 4cast application as many times as I want, refresh it manually etc. No crashes. The Preferences page has the following checked (enabled).

Refresh every 1 day;
    in 2day plugin part, all items are enabled, including Rotate All (what does that do?)

So far so good.

Now, I start 2day, tap Prefs, select Plugins from the drop-down menu (top right).
    I disable the 4cast plugin, press OK. I enable 4cast plugin and press OK. (this was to make sure the plugin is installed correctly and refreshed).

The Plugin is visible in 2day. The sequence of Plugins etc on top of 2day screen are

Owner
    Next appointment
    ProfileCare (this is all blank, no information. PC is disabled in this exercise)
    4cast (It is showing the location, time, temperature etc).

Force a soft reset to get a fresh start.

The Radio os off, Bluetooth is on.

The test:
    ======
    Run 2day. Now, tap the 4cast plugin on the 2day screen: Everything works! I get the 4cast application.

Press the calendar button to run 2day again. Tap the 4cast plugin on the 2day screen: Soft Reset.

#*377 says that the reset was caused by 4cast: Fatal Exception.

Keytest debg log is

18 ff
    18 ff
    7 ff
    1 1
    7 ff
    10 20
    10 10
    7 ff
    1 1
    7 ff
    Num:101

Summary: After a clean start (a soft reset), the 4cast plugin runs correctly from within 2day once. Invoking the plugin the 2nd time (in a row) causes the reset.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7.    #7  
    Some more info.

It appears that the problem is more generic:

If, after a reset, I run any other program (FileZ, Keytest, it doesn't matter) and then run 2day and then tap 4cast plugin, the Treo resets.

The ONLY way 4cast plugin runs (from within 2day) is if that is the first thing I do after a reset.

So, my previous post was describing a subset of the possibility:

Reset
    run 2day, tap 4cast: no crash
    run 2day, tap 4cast: crash

Reset
    run any application

I hope this is making some sense. I'm going crazy !!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  8.    #8  
    Reset
    run any application
    This is regardless of whether I turn on the Radio or not.

In other words:

reset-> radio is off -> run any other app -> run 2day, tap 4cast-> reset

reset-> radio is off -> turn radio on -> run any other app -> run 2day, tap 4cast-> reset

reset-> radio is off -> turn radio on -> run 2day, tap 4cast -> works OK (switches to 4cast application) -> run 2day, tap 4cast-> reset

These resets are not because of Yahoo returning the wrong information. 4cast never gets started and never gets a chance to connect to GPRS etc etc.

I have disabled 4cast plugin in 2day, for now. I'll run the 4cast application manually when I need to see the weather.

I like 4cast. I wish the plugin would run reliably on my Treo :-(
    Last edited by aprasad; 05/29/2005 at 10:16 AM.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Hi,

Is this still reproducable ?

If so - can you help me debugging ?

(contact@shsh.com)

Thanks
    Shimon Shnitzer
  10.    #10  
    Actually, since I have updated 2day a number of times since my last post, the problem has generally gone away!!

I use only one city in 4cast. I have re-enabled the plu-in in 2day. Tapping the plug-in is not making the 4cast crash.

I think it has to do with having multiple cities etc that I posted many weeks ago .. Staying with 1 city, and entering the zip code to set up the city in 4cast may have helped.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Actually, since I have updated 2day a number of times since my last post, the problem has generally gone away!!

I use only one city in 4cast. I have re-enabled the plu-in in 2day. Tapping the plug-in is not making the 4cast crash.

I think it has to do with having multiple cities etc that I posted many weeks ago .. Staying with 1 city, and entering the zip code to set up the city in 4cast may have helped.
    Good.

Let me know if anything occurs.
    Shimon Shnitzer