Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It was a software problem. I did a hard reset last night, fully charged it, and left it sit off the charger overnight with the phone off and Bluetooth on. It dropped to 98%. This morning I turned the phone on, synched my Outlook data (new Palm user) and installed DateBk5 (which I really can't live without). After about four hours, it still shows 98%

I'll install subsequent apps one at a time.

This has been quite a frustrating process, especially because I built a new Palm user from scratch when I got the T650 last week, rather than importing the data from my existing Tungsten T username.

Thanks for the help.
    Glad to hear you are on the path to full recovery. I'd be interested when you find out which 3rd party app was running amok. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/01/2005 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Has anyone of you mentioned that the Treo battery lasts considerably longer after updating FW?
    What does FW mean? I have seen it in a number of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    My battery life was terrible. Make sure your diconnected from Blazer. I assumed just pressing the "phone" or "home" keys disconnected the web browser. Then, I started to notice those green connection squiggles were on all the time. Now, I manually disconnect before exiting the web and my battery life is much better.
    How do you "Disconnect" blazer?

Thanks,
    D
    FW = Firmware, the phone operating system. . . .
    I bought an extra cradle to keep on my nightstand, and I just set the Treo in there every night - especially usefule since I use it as my alarm clock.

TreoGuard is an indispensible app for preserving battery life: it turns the screen off after "x" number of seconds on a phone call.

There are several apps to turn off the keyboard lights - the kb can use up quite a bit of battery, since it lights up at maximum brightness.

Re-acquiring a phone signal uses a lot of battery life, so if you're in an area of low signal strength, your battery will get sucked dry pretty fast. I learned this the hard way since I work inside a hospital, and the heavily shielded walls in the O.R.'s don't allow any cellular signal to penetrate, and my Treo would spend all day looking for a signal, thus draining the battery. My battery life improved tremendously when i just turned the phone part off while in the O.R.'s.

Keeping a data connection open uses more battery than does a simple cellular connection. Disconnecting from a data connection when you're done surfing the web or downloading email will greatly preserve battery life.

Keeping a bluetooth connection open uses up battery life. Turning off bluetooth when it's not needed saves battery.

Because of all of the above, I am now a staunch user of ProfileCare. It's a somewhat complicated app until you get used to it, but this is necessary because of it that it can do. Once you figure it out, you can set up various profiles to turn on or off the various Treo hardware functions, thus using only the hardware functions that you need at the time. You can call up your list of profiles with a hardware key (I tap & hold the right shift key, and up pops my profile list), and then switch between profiles. I have a profile that have bright screen and loud system/ring sounds with no keyboard lights for when I'm outside...a profile for dim screen, quiet system/ring sounds, and keyboard lights on when I'm in bed at night or in a movie theater...a profile with bluetooth on for when I'm in the car...you get the idea.

Between ProfileCare and TreoGaurd, I never have to think about battery levels any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Glad to hear you are on the path to full recovery. I'd be interested when you find out which 3rd party app was running amok. . . . . .
    So far things have continued to work well. I've now restored everything, except:
    - BatteryGraph 1.21
    - VeriChat
    - TreoBattery

I also installed a newer version of FileZ, but I doubt that makes a difference.
    Visor Deluxe -> m125 -> Tungsten|T -> Treo 650 (CDMA)
    Also one thing to note....no Palm device is ever really "off". The power is used to maintain main memory and run things like your calendar (that's why the alarms pop on), etc. even when you have it turned off. Of course the battery should last much longer when the unit is off as the screen is by far the biggest power hog. As an example....I have to recharge my Garmin iQue 3600 every couple of weeks whether I'm using it or not....same thing applies to the Treo. Just don't expect the battery to stay charged while the unit is off the same amount of time as say an ordinary cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegasguru
    Between ProfileCare and TreoGaurd, I never have to think about battery levels any more.
    From the way that JG praises PC, I cant see what the need would be to have TG also. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif

Is it necessary to have 2 programs that pretty much do the same things?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Hi Jeff Gibson,
    I have not heard of ProfileCare as I am relatively new to the Treo 650. Could you give me an URL for it?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tanya
    Quote Originally Posted by XJCoupe
    So far things have continued to work well. I've now restored everything, except:
    - BatteryGraph 1.21
    - VeriChat
    - TreoBattery

I also installed a newer version of FileZ, but I doubt that makes a difference.

Great to hear you are still running fine. Does VeriChat run in the backgound, constantly checking? It would be ironic, if one of the battery programs (or together) was (were) the culprit(s) on causing your excessive battery drain.

Cheers, Perry.
    I have read in another thread that Battery Graph does a check each time you wake up your Treo -- creating a large log of entries in it's cache. This cache only empties if you actually go into the program and exit. This cache can slow down the wake up process.

I wonder if it actually increases battery drain, as well? (Given that it adds one more automatic operation to the wake up process every time?)

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/09/2005 at 07:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmetaksa
    Hi Jeff Gibson,
    I have not heard of ProfileCare as I am relatively new to the Treo 650. Could you give me an URL for it?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tanya
    Heres your link: http://www.gotreosoftware.com/module...download&cid=1

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12