Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    This is just a little heads up on insurance for your phones from my experience.

I just had a 600 and a 650 stolen last night from my house. The thieves hit several other houses in the neighborhood, making quick entrances and exits grabbing mainly cash and small expensive electronics laying out in plain site - like Treos, digital cameras, and laptops.

I had set up insurance on a homeowner policy rider for $300 on the 600 about 8 months ago. When I called to add the 650, they said new company policy was that they do not cover PDA phones including the Treos. The insurer is State Farm. I know I have seen others here say that they have insurance thru State Farm.

Since my phones were stolen, I thought they would cover them under my normal homeowner's policy. Here's how it shook out - Since I had a specific rider for $300 for the 600 (they failed to cancel it), they will pay the $300 with no affect on my rates. Since I did not have a specific rider for the 650, it falls under my regular policy (which has a $500 deductible and it WOULD affect my rates.

I am not very happy with my insurance agent. Either they are lying about company policy or the people who have State Farm that are on Treo Central that have coverage for their Treos do not really have coverage.

If you have State Farm coverage, can you contact your agent to confirm that you have coverage and if so, is it a rider or just a part of your normal homeowner's policy? I would like to find out if my agent is BS'ing me. I think many others here would also be interested.
    My agent is in the process of mailing me paperwork to setup a Personal Articles Policy. I believe this is a completely separate policy (not a rider on Homeowners....I don't have Homeowners.) This is probably what most Treo owners need to ask for. The Treo should fall under computer equipment.

http://www.statefarm.com/insuranc/addins/personal.htm
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Thanks for this feedback, Gecko...
    I have the personal articles policy for my 650. It is completely separate from any other policies. You can get it without having any other insurance with State Farm.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    How much do these policies usually run?
    Yes, the PAP policy is the one to get. It costs approx $35/year.
    Agreed the PAP. I have jewelery and electronics on it and the total is $65 per year with no deductible. The Treo 650 added $13 for the year.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    I live in Madison, WI and have called several State Farm agents about acquiring a Personal Articles Policy. They all acknowledge the policy exists, but won't write one for my Treo 650. Do you think the coverage eligibility varies by state/region?
    Former State Farm Claims (homeowners) adjuster here.

PAP policy is the absolute way to go. I never get any warranties on products as the PAP is better and cheaper.

I am in Texas and there is no problem adding the treo to the policy. Not sure why they would not do that as there is no exclusion that I know of in the policy for this type of product.

Infact I remember paying out on a PAP policy for a damaged pocketpc.

FYI State Farm is the best company IMHO to be with and I do not work there any more. Just from inside knowledge of claim handling they are very honest and go by what the policy states.
    Last edited by butreo; 06/01/2005 at 01:04 PM.
    I live in Texas and have a State Farm PAP for some musical instruments. My agent says I can't add cell phones or PDA's to it, including the Treo 650 that I own. My agent has been very good over the many years I've been a customer so I had not questioned his answer. Is this at the agent's discretion?
    I have SF, and I have one of their renters insurance plans. About 2 months ago, a friend sat on my Treo 600, and when I filed a claim there was no questions or anything, I showed the phone, and they did the paperwork. I didnt have to pay any extra for having the phone on the plan in the first place. Once I got the money I just threw some extra with it and got the 650. I've been with SF ever since I turned 16 and got my car and I have NEVER had any issues with them. A year ago my car got vandelized and I had a check in hand to get it fixed within 3 days.
    I'll jump in and say SF rocks too!!! They have been so responsive to any claim I've ever had.

As far as being turned down on the coverage, I wonder if there's a way to call a central customer service to have this item added?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    I have sf renters ins. Should I also get PAP? I'm guessing that the PAP is insurance for losing or damaged items such as a treo when it was outside of your home? I think the treo is already covered in my renters insurance but maybe somebody else has a better knowledge of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmagee
    I have sf renters ins. Should I also get PAP? I'm guessing that the PAP is insurance for losing or damaged items such as a treo when it was outside of your home? I think the treo is already covered in my renters insurance but maybe somebody else has a better knowledge of this?
    generally speaking, if you don't have specific scheduled articles- (Treo and/or otherwise), your personal property is only covered for fire and/or theft, AND is subject to your deductible.

If you do have a PAP, then the scheduled item(s) are covered for any loss AND NO deductible applies. At least this is how it is for the Insurance Company I work for as an agent...

HTH!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    A renters policy or homeowners policy only covers named perils (named in the policy).

A PAP policy covers anything but wear and tear. Drop it, lose it, get it wet...whatever covered no deductible.

I'll put a call into my buddies in claims and underwriting for SF and get some clarification on this as we paid for phones, pdas, ect all the time. Plus mine is on one!

Things you want on a PAP:

Jewelry (most homeowners and renters policies have limits to jewelry)
    Expensive electronic items like cameras, pda, laptop computer
    Fine art
    Antiques
    Collectibles
    musical intruments

I'll get more info to see if something has changed to underwriting rules in regards to PDAs
    The only things that a PAP doesn't cover are anything that you use for business. If you use your laptop for business or your 650, SF can deny your claim if they find out. You need a different policy for things that are used for business purposes (especially computers).
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    An observation....I think this MAY just be at the agent's discretion. RE my stolen 600, since I had set up a PAP for it, they paid off in the amount I specified as the value of the 600 ($300). For the 650, as WiggyFife points out, it was covered by regular homeowner's policy, but subject to the deductible. My deductible is $500, so coverage was not much use for the $650.

The agent again stated that they would not offer a PAP for Treos because their underwriters advised against it. This could be this agent's way to say no to a long time customer while deflecting the heat. OR not all agent's have gotten the word and still allow the PAP's on PDA phones.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I recently upgraded my SF Policy from my 600 to a 650. All I had to do was fax them the sales receipt.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    how much more did it cost you if you had SF renters with a $500 dollar deductable already? any body have a chicago rate?

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ideawizard2
    how much more did it cost you if you had SF renters with a $500 dollar deductable already? any body have a chicago rate?

thanks!
    The rates are the same whether you have other coverage with them or not. $30/year is the minimum rate. I was told that my 650 would have cost about $20/year but that $30 is the least that they can charge. You've got room to put on another cellphone, digital camera or something like that.