Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Does anyones 650 backlight dim a little bit every minute or so? It just started doing this, and I can't find anything anywhere that tells me how to activate/de-activate this feature.
    I assume you are referring to the screen backlight. This is the auto screen dimming function new to the 650. Don't believe there is a way to control it other than the old option-P (600) or option-rightShift (650) function which cuts the brightness ~50%. ProfileCare is one app that lets you turn the function off completely.
    I get that too...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    What's really amazing: When you are on a phone call, the screen really gets dim!
    True. In bright sunlight, you can barely see it. I personally find it kind of annoying so I use ProfileCare to just turn the dimming off completely.
    I have found that when this has happened in the past, I could fix it with a soft reset.
    FastFrank
    This is actually a new "battery saving" mode on the 650. The only standard application that is distributed with the 650 that uses this feature is the phone application. It is avery annoying feature IMO. The sequence is this: after 16 seconds the screen will dim about 40% from its current setting. Then after 60 seconds it will dim again to about 10% (or almost totally turned off). It will remain this way until you perform an action on the Treo or the call is disconnected. The real kicker is that once it hits the second dimming level, you have to perform 2 actions (taps, key presses) to hang up the phone. There is also no way in the phone application to unconfigure this option.

This behavior should not be happening in any other part of your phone. If it is, then your configuration has gotten a little messed up. A soft reset will/should sure this. It could be you got the phone applicaiotn into a wierd state and it did not shut off the option or you have loaded a 3rd party software package that turned on this option.

Hope this helps.....

Jeff
    Hi Jeff

Interesting feedback. I frequently read the web for long periods (a few hours at night with screen dimmed) while on the charger and the screen will totally go dark. I have to go to full bright to get it on. Soft reset did nothing.

I am beginning to think it may be related to the phone getting hot!!!

Any other feedback?

Wish "P" (aka P1) would assign someone to read these TC posts and help their loyal customers.
    FastFrank
    Try a hard reset. It worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFrank
    Hi Jeff

Interesting feedback. I frequently read the web for long periods (a few hours at night with screen dimmed) while on the charger and the screen will totally go dark. I have to go to full bright to get it on. Soft reset did nothing.

I am beginning to think it may be related to the phone getting hot!!!

Any other feedback?

Wish "P" (aka P1) would assign someone to read these TC posts and help their loyal customers.
    I agree with your theory about the phone getting hot. I stream a lot of ShoutCast while at work and at times my screen will dim severely. Whenever it does, the Treo is warm to the touch. If I stop streaming for a bit, and the 650 cools, the screen comes right back. If I just listen to MP3's I do not have this problem. So it seems as though the radio causes the phone to get warm (similar to other cell phones) and that is affecting something related to screen brightness.
    MarkY,

I had a similar Blazer experience...to the point where I had to take out the battery, waited about 5 minutes, then re-inserted the battery. My T650 was...warm. Knock on wood, everything else has been fine since then.
    ###