1.    #1  
    I'm pretty new with my T650 and exploring GPS options...
    From what I gather, I need 2 pieces:

1. A receiver (probably would go with BT)
    2. Map software that will talk to the receiver.

Questions:

1. Will most receivers work with most software? I assume its probably better to get from the same company anyways?
    2. Does the T650 need to be connected to any sort of network to use GPS or is it strictly bluetooth and GPS receiver?

Looks like the TomTom 5 when it comes out is getting the best reviews/previews.

Thanks in advance for the help in answering these remedial questions!
    Jeff
    1.) Most BT GPS receivers should work with most software. The best software options for the Treo are really just TomTom and Mapopolis. Both support BT connected receivers.

There is little advantage to getting the receiver from the same company since I don't think either Mapopolis or TomTom actually make their own receivers. The data stream that these radios put out is pretty standard.

2.) No connection is needed other than to the Bluetooth GPS receiver. You don't even need the phone part of the Treo to be on.

I have Mapopolis NavCard and it is great for the US since I don't have to worry about loading the correct region every time I travel somewhere. If the choice where between Mapopolis Navigator and TomTom (e.g. for Canadian users), I might have chosen differently. For now I am satisfied with Mapopolis and their support is orders of magnitude better than TomTom's. I have also heard that the Navteq map data used by Mapopolis is better in the US than the TeleAtlas data used by TomTom. I have no experience with that myself.

See http://twelveblackcodemonkeys.blog-c...ad/1095288.htm for a comparison between Mapopolis and TomTom.
    I recommend this receiver:
    http://www.leadtek.com/gps/gps_9553_1.html

It has excellent reception. I can keep it in my trunk or glovebox and it will still receive a GPS signal and pair with the Treo. It is tiny and can be inconspicuously clipped to a belt loop on your pants. Its main shortcoming is a battery life of only ~3hours.
    argh, dupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    I recommend this receiver:
    http://www.leadtek.com/gps/gps_9553_1.html

It has excellent reception. I can keep it in my trunk or glovebox and it will still receive a GPS signal and pair with the Treo. It is tiny and can be inconspicuously clipped to a belt loop on your pants. Its main shortcoming is a battery life of only ~3hours.

Can you set this GPS to turn on automatically when the car is powered up?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the answers!

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    Can you set this GPS to turn on automatically when the car is powered up?
    No and Yes:

No, the GPS unit itself only has an on/off switch that is unrelated to whether it has a power supply or batter connected.

Yes, you could--I have not--of course remove the battery and (hard) wire it to an ignition-switched line in your car. Then it would come off and on with the vehicles electrical accessories.