1.    #1  
    I know it does incoming mail via POP3

I could not see in the user manual on how to set up outgoing SMTP mail.

Does XpressMail require the use of cwmx?

Any advantage in using Xpressmail vs. Versamail for POP3/SMTP mail accounts?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    There's lot sof discussion there on the corporate e-mail (Exchange server etc), POP and IMAP. Nothing on SMTP (ie, outgoing e-mail on most ISP's including mine, RoadRunner).

The question still stands .... How does Xpress MAil handle outgoing e-mails for POP/SMTP e-mail systems?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    There's lot sof discussion there on the corporate e-mail (Exchange server etc), POP and IMAP. Nothing on SMTP (ie, outgoing e-mail on most ISP's including mine, RoadRunner).

The question still stands .... How does Xpress MAil handle outgoing e-mails for POP/SMTP e-mail systems?
    aprasad - I posted to that other thread you were referred to but your quesiton is more specific. The SMTP settings for POP can be setup via the Web Mail Interface in the settings section for the service you setup. this implies you configured your POP connection via the Web mail interface.

If you do not set this up then then XpressMail will likely use its own internal SMTP server if they have it setup to handle outgoing email. The test is if you send an emai lfrom your device and you get an error back than that will dictate whether the default SMTP server used by XpressMail is being used and working. Let me know and then I can help from there.
  5.    #5  
    At this time, I'm stuck with Versamail (in the ROM). So I'm going to keep using it for my ISP (POP/SMTP), while using XpressMail for my office Outlook e-mail and calendar etc.

Xpressmail will have to use it's own SMTP server because RR SMTP server won't work from outside, no matter where in Xpressmail it is set up..

I'm curious to know if XpressMail will, in fact, supply it's own outgoing e-mail service, if anyone has tried it that way.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    At this time, I'm stuck with Versamail (in the ROM). So I'm going to keep using it for my ISP (POP/SMTP), while using XpressMail for my office Outlook e-mail and calendar etc.

Xpressmail will have to use it's own SMTP server because RR SMTP server won't work from outside, no matter where in Xpressmail it is set up..

I'm curious to know if XpressMail will, in fact, supply it's own outgoing e-mail service, if anyone has tried it that way.
    Hmm... some more questions.

1. Just because Versamail is in the ROM should have no effect on you trying out the connectivity via XpressMail on the device. You could try it easily and see.

2. If you are using the XpressMail smtp server it is not going to use the RR SMTP server at all and your email go out to the recipients through the XpressMail SMTP server directly (assuming it is setup, I'm on Sprint's equivalent Business Connection and it works) from my recollection.

3. It is likely XpressMail is already providing you the outgoing SMTP service at the server level, try it and you will know. Also you can setup the SMTP through RR if you need / want to via the Web Mail interface.
  7.    #7  
    1. It was a question of breaking something that works (my ISP via VersaMail) without any real benefit. POP e-mail is not "push", and I cannot delete Versamail. I might try when I'm doing a major change to my Treo650, like if/when the GSM rom update is released. Nothing to lose then, as a hard reset is the way to go for ROM updates...

2. I am not using SMTP in any form with Xpressmail. I could not find any documentation on this.. which is why I became curious on how Xpressmail handles outgoing SMPT traffic. Xpressmail is very similar to Sprint BC, so my guess is, it provides it's own SMTP server, now that I found out that you use it that way.

Q: When you use Xpressmail to send e-mails, what return address do your recipients see? Will I be able to use XpressMail SMTP server but have the "from" return address as my RR address (like I do with Versamail+cwmx setup)?

3. That is the thing to verify, whether Xpressmail provides SMTP service. Sprint BC does to you, so I'm reasonably sure that Xpressmail will...

Which Web Mail interface are you talking about in this paragraph (3)? RR has a web-based access that I can use using Blazer. I'm pretty sure RR smtp server will not accept any outgoing traffic from XpressMail, even if set up via Xpressmail web site. I haven't found any way, so far, to have my outgoing e-mail go through RR server unless a) I'm originating the e-mail from my home or b) I'm using RR's web interface to their e-mail.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    1. It was a question of breaking something that works (my ISP via VersaMail) without any real benefit. POP e-mail is not "push", and I cannot delete Versamail. I might try when I'm doing a major change to my Treo650, like if/when the GSM rom update is released. Nothing to lose then, as a hard reset is the way to go for ROM updates...

2. I am not using SMTP in any form with Xpressmail. I could not find any documentation on this.. which is why I became curious on how Xpressmail handles outgoing SMPT traffic. Xpressmail is very similar to Sprint BC, so my guess is, it provides it's own SMTP server, now that I found out that you use it that way.

Q: When you use Xpressmail to send e-mails, what return address do your recipients see? Will I be able to use XpressMail SMTP server but have the "from" return address as my RR address (like I do with Versamail+cwmx setup)?

3. That is the thing to verify, whether Xpressmail provides SMTP service. Sprint BC does to you, so I'm reasonably sure that Xpressmail will...

Which Web Mail interface are you talking about in this paragraph (3)? RR has a web-based access that I can use using Blazer. I'm pretty sure RR smtp server will not accept any outgoing traffic from XpressMail, even if set up via Xpressmail web site. I haven't found any way, so far, to have my outgoing e-mail go through RR server unless a) I'm originating the e-mail from my home or b) I'm using RR's web interface to their e-mail.

Correct on #1 it will not have Push via this type of POP connecttor but you can set it to do a scheduled sync so it will get updated periodically.

On #2 they will see your RR address for the replies and assuming the XpressMail SMTP service is setup by default all you will need to do is configure the POP side.

On #3 the Web Mail interface is what you see from your PC when you login via IE and go to https://xpressmail.cingular.com/subscriber/login.stp This is where you can setup alternate POP / IMAP accounts independent of the desktop.